leroydb

Antique Gun Brought back from afghanistan

weather sucked.... and i was kidnapped to ralegh by a friend.... I at least got to go the IMAX theater and see wild california... that has some skydivign scenes in it
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Post: How typical would it have been to see a weapon like this there?!?
~~~~~~~~~~

depends on where you were... I was in Kabul (the capital) when i got this particular piece
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

If those are the kind of weapons afghanistan has...Why we worry? :D

Those aren't the ones I saw. The ones I saw had a higher magazine capacity, higher muzzle velocity and were a larger caliber and had semi and automatic fire. They make a distinct sound when fired at you.;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Those aren't the ones I saw. The ones I saw had a higher magazine capacity, higher muzzle velocity and were a larger caliber and had semi and automatic fire. They make a distinct sound when fired at you.;)

Oh, no...those are BAD!! >:(

Son, if you paid more than $10 you have been seriously ripped off. This is NOT a 180's Enfield. It is a flint stone rifle manufactured in Afganistan about 20 years ago, It's interesting though...but you have been had anywayB|

jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

hum.. interesting... i have a collector looking at it now... and is goign to pay me 650... so even though i paid 55 for it.... i am still making out hehhe
i went through hell with that gun....
Leroy

I didn't think you could sale any sort of firearm on Ebay. But, hell, they've got everything else...some guy was saling an ass whoop'n a couple months ago. The winning bidder had to fly this guy to where ever they were and he' pounce on them for what ever the winning bid was. Strange.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What a prize (assuming it's the real thing)! :)replicas of such weapons go for $500 in some places...!

I'd go on rec.guns and post the info to see if you can get a round figure. It could end up being extremely valuable, despite its condition, if it's rare enough. Beware of scammers.

Of course, a lot of the value depends on the condition of the stock, barrel, etc. Gun collectors tend to be really anal, much in the way people who collect other things (e.g., a Ted Williams card is insanely priced, even though it's just a piece of thin cardboard with a picture on it).

You could also put it up for auction on auctionarms.com or gunbroker.com with a huge reserve and a $1 starting price, just to see what it goes for.

And I'd sure as heck get it inspected by a gunsmith before loading it up and shooting it, and when doing so, I'd stick to light loads.

Black powder is enormous fun, but they're such a bitch to clean >:(

I also imagine that the bore is rotten, considering where it's been ;)

FYI for gun-grabbers: Black powder arms (and weapons manufactured before 1898) are NOT subject to the GCA (18 USC 44) or NFA (26 USC 53) and but are covered by 27CFR 47.53(3)(b), so there.B|

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

How typical would it have been to see a weapon like this there?!?

VERY. The weapon is an Enfield. Probably left behind by the British, who were in Afghanistan for a long time. It could have been given to a native soldier, or captured, or anything.

The Afghanis are also dirt-poor, and wouldn't throw a serviceable weapon away (FYI, flintlocks were still being used in Appalachia until the early 20th Century). That it's in what appears to be fairly good condition means that it was highly prized, and therefore taken good care of by its martially oriented owners. Undoubtedly handed down from generation to generation (assuming it's authentic and not a modern repro). It wouldn't surprise me to learn that an Afghani father would give such a weapon to his son as soon as he was old enough to handle it.

mh

I didn't think you could sale any sort of firearm on Ebay

You CAN'T. VERBOTEN!!! That's eBay's policy, and frankly, I don't blame them, since they're in Kalifornia. If I were them, I'd have a blanket NO on firearms, for liability reasons if nothing else. However, they are a private business, and it is their choice.

However, there are several gun auction sites out there, and since the weapon isn't subject to GCA or NFA, it can be sold without FFL or ATF 4473.