outofit

WAR IS COMING!

This was a diplomatic "push-back" against the anit-Americanism that has been brewing for the past few weeks

what do you consider ani-Americanism?

Phil
how high can you fly with broken wings ...
life's a journey not a destination

This was a diplomatic "push-back" against the anit-Americanism that has been brewing for the past few weeks

what do you consider ani-Americanism?

That was not my definition, that was a definition from Richard Haass, Director of Policy Planning at DoS (WSJ, January 27, 2003):

"It's important for us to push back," said Richard Haass, Director of Policy Planning at the US Department of State, who says he spent an hour and a half "getting hammered" in a seminar on Iraq on Friday. "There's obviously something in the air about the US, about anti-Americanism."

This was also in the immediate wake of France and Germany's diplomatic "dissent" from the policy the US is communicating on Iraq.

My personal feeling on what I consider "anti-Americanism" is not really taking hold. I do see it as a healthy debate, albeit with a finite timeframe. I do not consider the French or German positions to be "anti-American" in their diplomatic efforts (though I do think they are misguided, and are not being served by their respective governments).

If war were to commence, and (for example) France and Germany were to abstain from active participation, I wouldn't consider that "anti-Americanism", as the debate is now over and decisions have been made. If they begin to actively lobby the diplomatic corps of the UN, respective embassies of the coalition, et al against the allied coalition, against the objectives, and calls for resistance against those efforts, that would be "anti-Americanism" (not to mention political and economic suicide). Obviously, anyone that decided to align themselves with military force with Iraq, that would be "anti-Americanism" too.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

If I understand you correctly, if somebody will not follow the path of the US, they are against the US.

This under the assumption, that the policy of the US is the ONLY way to solve problems in the world. Would that also cover the fact, that any criticism of any US issue is anti-US?

Just curious...

Phil
how high can you fly with broken wings ...
life's a journey not a destination

>If I understand you correctly, if somebody will not follow the path of
> the US, they are against the US.

I won't speak for Gawain, but that is what our president said in his first state of the union address.

>This under the assumption, that the policy of the US is the ONLY way
> to solve problems in the world.

I don't think we assume that. I do think we assume, though, that our policy is inherently correct, and we measure the 'correctness' of other country's policies by how closely they mirror our own.

My interpretation of what he said is that they are against the US if they are actively lobbying against our stated policies and intentions. I think it's pretty self explanatory...if you are arguing against us, you're against us. Nothing controversial there.

He also said if people don't agree and join on board with our policies, than that's NOT anti-americanism.

Seems pretty clear cut. If you're our ally, and you don't like what we're doing, you don't have to participate. But if you're our ally and you actively attempt to stop us, then you're against us.

I don't agree with the current strategy regarding Iraq, but I do agree with that assessment of the relationships between us and the other members of NATO.

If I understand you correctly, if somebody will not follow the path of the US, they are against the US.

That is not correct. Please re-read my reply.

Using France and Germany as an example, in their efforts to promote more diplomacy. I do not consider these efforts "anti-American", even though they don't fall in line with the American policy, per se.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!