Shuttle Pieces on eBay?

Just heard a rumor that eBay quashed some auctions for pieces of the shuttle today, but the rumor didn't confirm whether the auctions were bogus.

The auctions of course drew the immediate attention of the FBI.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Within hours of the crash, there were some auctions regarding pieces of the debris. There is no confirmation that these were real, although people do weird shit all the time.

Ebay is all over this, shutting down those sellers and reporting them to authorities.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I don't think eBay knew or cared if the items were bogus or not. They just stopped any such auctions as they did right after 9/11 with supposed pieces from the WTC towers.

I also understand that taking a piece from ANY crashed aircraft is a federal offence and carries 10 years in jail and a $250,000 fine, so I hope the FBI swooped in and nabbed anyone who tried to profit from this horrible event.

I also understand that taking a piece from ANY crashed aircraft is a federal offence and carries 10 years in jail and a $250,000 fine, so I hope the FBI swooped in and nabbed anyone who tried to profit from this horrible event.

Thou understandest correctly, Kemosabe, though it's usually and/or imprisonment/fine.

Interference with a mishap investigation is a felony, and rightly so.

Considering that the critical piece of evidence in the Oklahoma City bombing was the serial number plate from the rear axle of the the Ryder truck, ANYTHING can be the key.

And since there's so little of the shuttle left, every piece can help, though what will most likely happen is since a lot of the evidence burned up in the atmosphere, the telemetry will play the most critical role. In the weeks to come, look for flight performance data to be mated to a computer model of the shuttle in flight. Should be very interesting.

Edited for spelling.

Not to mention that NASA had already warned citizens NOT to approach debris as they may be highly toxic!!!

You are bidding on: Glowing piece of shuttle Columbia... and possibly hair/skin loss, legions and a tail. LOL

sick, I know.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

There are all sorts of toxic nasties on the shuttle. I have a feeling that some people are going to find that out the hard way. Might be some folks out in the countryside who haven't heard the news..."Hey y'all, look here!"

"The main search area is 100 miles long and 10 miles wide and stretches east from Palestine, Texas, to Hemphill near the Louisiana border."

I find it ironic that NASA's National Scientific Balloon Facility is located in Palestine, Texas. It's the home of the "poor man's space program" that I mentioned in my Skydiving Magazine article on Michel Fournier and Le Grand Saut (please see Nov 2002 issue).

There is a similar facility in Saskatoon, where Fournier tried to do the 130,000 foot balloon jump last September.

mh

Edited for content.

It wasn't today, they were up SATURDAY! It was real, the killed the auctions within an hour or so of them going up and since the shuttle is still federal property, those guys are in trouble for trying to sale pieces.

If you read Fark.com, you'll catch stuff like this right after it happens instead of days later.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Michael Shelby, U.S. Attorney for southern Texas, told reporters at Johnson Space Center in Houston that anyone who touched the shuttle debris could face a stiff penalty.

"It's a federal offense that could bring to 10 years in prison. And I will prosecute," he said.