AggieDave

Another Guitar question

I have a question about song writting, this time. I wrote a song last night, that is sort of in the story teller tradition (think Big John, The Old 97, Ragged Old Flag, etc), but I'm wondering if its too simple, sounding repetitive. Its a simple chord progression, only 4 chords, repeats every couple of lines and has a reasonably simple strum pattern. The song is fairly short, only about 30 lines or so, nothing is repeated and there is no chorus.

So here's the question, does that sound too simple to you? Do you think I should try to write some sort of Chorus with a different chord progression to try to break up the song a little?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

usually in song writing the chorus stays in the same key generally. it sounds funny if every time the chorus comes around it modulates. what people have been known to do to make things sound less monotonous is to say play the first verse and chorus in one key (for example C), then modulate up to D for the second verse/chorus. if there is a bridge, those tend to be in a different key style. Look at hte 12 bar blues pattern for example. Very simple and countless songs using it have become famous.

If it's a story telling song, I'd imagine simple is best, people are actually paying attention to the lyrics. less distraction.

Yeah, I'm quite familar with the 12 bar blues (I play lead trumpet for the TAMU Jazz Band:)
I'm not worried about having it "become famous" this is something that is very important to me and I thought this would help with it, infact I probably won't even play the song for more then maybe a dozen people. I just wanted it to sound good.B|

Am-Em-D-A

i may change a little piece, just to have a stronger cadence. IV-I isn't as strong as V-I. also Em-D could be smoothed up by adding a CMaj in there in teh middle. this sounded pretty good to me:

a-e-C-d-E7-a

i dunno, that's just my thought.

I've found that the key to writing good music is to write massive amounts of bad music first. It's a skill that takes practice, just like anything else.

And most importantly, you don't need to follow any set pattern... if it sounds right to you, then it is right. It's your song. So if you like it the way it is, great--if you want to break it up with a chorus/bridge/whatever, then that's great too. Play with different ideas and pick what you like best.

M

i have limited experience with writing "tabulature" but i am a lyracist (wordsmith) and have over 150 "poems" or "songs" penned, some of which can be accessed in a public forum. i "draw" from personal experience, something i've seen, tasted, felt or experienced as most lyricists do. whatever "feel" your going for at the time should be insugniffigant, write the tune, then fit it into the genre. as far as chord progressions go, it could be 1-6 or hell, even 8, but as a "wordsmith" i believe each song should have a chorus, and at least 3 verses, and maybe repeating the first verse as the last verse, ending with the chorus, but...then again, i'm "old school" do this...keep a legal pad by your bed at night, some of the best songs i've written have been through dreams. i'm always looking for a "HOOK" to write a song around, it works! good luck. i wrote a song driving by a prison one day entitled "will you keep my heart in lockdown baby...or let me go" i'll explain if inquired upon.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Dave:

I've read so much of your advice, here's something in which I consider myself somewhat competent:

1) Four chords is just fine if that's what you want to do. An example of the stunning beauty of three chords repeated over and over is "Wicked Game" by Chris Isaak, an extremely simple and hauntingly gorgeous song. So if 4 chords does you well, go for it! You sound proud of it, otherwise you wouldn't have posted this query.

2) I'll agree with fallingmarc and say that part of being a songwriter is writign some truly hideous things. I've written some real crap. It's just part of the artistic process.

By the way, I'm having some writer's block and need some inspiration. If a pretty lady out there wants to seduce me, make me fall in love with her, make me think of a life together, and then rip my heart in two and devastate me, please let me know. My best songs come from that...

_

My wife is hotter than your wife.

By the way, I'm having some writer's block and need some inspiration. If a pretty lady out there wants to seduce me, make me fall in love with her, make me think of a life together, and then rip my heart in two and devastate me, please let me know. My best songs come from that...

that's an elementary subject as far as song writing goes. you don't want to write about it, it's NOT writer's block. not being harsh, constructive criticism from one wordsmith to another. been there, done that, but i've got the song. the avenues from what you've described are endless, take a turn at the crossroads of your life, and move on little brother, move on, it gets better before before it gets worse and that's a well known fact, now if you'd just realize it and get over it, it'd be in the past, while your moving along with the future...................remember..."look for the hook" the "hook" being the ONE PHRASE that will embed the song into people's memories. example: "Oh i've been there....that's why i'm here" Kenny Chesny, he wrote that "Hook" before he wrote the rest of the song.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

I dunno, I'm a crappy lyricist, but there's a LOT of phenomenal songs out there about love lost. I'd say that's a perfectly valid way to find inspiration. I mean, sure, eventually the cycle of infatuation, obsession, and despair will drive you insane, but so many great artists are insane anyway, you'd be in good company.

If you modify that a little, and ask that she devastates you by cheating on you with your best friend, you can write an entire ALBUM. It worked for Taking Back Sunday...

M
"Best friends means I pull the trigger-- best friends means you get what you deserve" -Taking Back Sunday

most ppl listening to your music ARENT musicians!
unfortunately they dont care about complication!
I LOVE to get gritty and show off sometimes but the audience doesnt know Fb from my ass!:P

listen to the radio! you'll understand what appeals!
simple repetiveness(if thats a word) is what theyll remember! if the song doenst have mush to repeat then you cant hypnotize them with familiarity.

If you play for yourself then it doenst matter, but if you play for the generally tone deaf audience,,,K.I.S.S.;)

My photos

My Videos

Look at some of the great songs that everyone knows, like Boy Named Sue, that doesn't have a chorus...

With that said, I'm going to sit down tomorrow and write out a chorus, see if it'll sound right.

I did play what I wrote for a couple people today, the loved it, but then again, they're Aggies and understand the imagary and deep emotions of the song to begin with.

Aggie. I've written many songs...and there's a few that I thought were just to simple...
It's YOUR song! if you think it's too simple,CHANGE IT!!
Play the spoons in it, or gradually introduce a orchestra into it...or have a part where no instruments are played, just drums and a voice!
Ok, I'm getting way too excited here.:$

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after

Well, I wrote a Chorus, I also changed the chord progression to give the song a slightly different feel.

Check it out (although I don't want to take the time to write out the strumming pattern...)

Although I am a poety, this is one of my first real attempts at lyrics, which I have found to be a totally different animal...

I will Remember by David Lund

A-E-D-A

Chorus--E-A-D-A
Key Change--Am-Em-D-A

I will remember
forever that cold November night
Woken by the never dreamed
Our spirts have fallen, our hearts cry
Rise up o' Aggies
The call for help is sounding out
Bonfire has fallen and
all hands are needed now

--chourus
Angels on Bonfire
Take my friends home
Let the War Hymn ring out
As they approach the Holy Throne
-----
The sirens are sounding
logs are being lifted out
Our pots are on, tears are falling down
gather 'round boys and take a bite
lift this log and move it out
our task is long and we're racing time
forever long, that day runs on
exhaustion comes with then end of night

--Chourus
--Key Change (and slow to 1/2 speed)

In silent prayer we all sing out
Amazing Grace in one voice
Standing together in the crowd
silent tears are all that's found
Arms around each other now
we hug and say we're do'n alright
Candles are lit, we silently walk
To the spot we were a week before
As Taps rings out, some tears stream down
mourning the 12 we lost that cold 'morn

--Chorus
--Oringal Key

I will Remember
Forever,
the night the Aggies cried.

(edit: I had posted the wrong revision of the song)