FlyingPortagee

Large canopy container recommendations

Can anyone recommend a container that will fit a large canopy ? (260-280) I'm having trouble finding a good one. The only ones I can find are student containers... would you just get a student rig? whats the difference?

A guy on our demo team has a Quasar II with a 280 on the bottom and a 240 in the reserve, I've jumped it a few times, nice big boy rig.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi Flying Portagee,

Here at Velocity Sports Equipment, we make Infinity containers in all shapes and sizes. We do have an I-6 and I-7 series that would fit those main canopies. It would depend on your reserve to what it would be.

If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

Good luck!

Blue Skies,

Gail

As you've heard above most manufacturers if not all make containers for canopies that size. They may also make a student version but will offer that size in a normal version. Student versions may have several additions and variations that you don't need, want or want to pay for.

If you think your staying this big for a while you could order new/custom.

But used gear is available. I have a Vector II V-8 with a PD 266 9 cell non zp. I have a friend with a similar canopy in a Javelin J-7. Get with someone with experience to guide you through the variations and talk to your rigger about fit of main AND reserve choices in anything you choose.

Shorter answer? No you don't need to buy a student rig and and any brand will have a 'good one' for your canopy choice.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Much bigger than a 169 safire is a 209 or the biggest they make, a 229. Even at your experience you don't need anything bigger 210. Main canopies that are 260 for the most part are non-zp canopies. At one point after an injury about 1990 I used to have a sabre 190 (zp) and a Manta 288 (non-zp). When I wanted a guaranteed soft landing I grabbed the 190.

You want to stay with ZP and a 210 for someone 190 suspended is as big as you want. Remember lower loading means lower airspeed means you blow away easier when it's windy.:o Can you land going backwards? I have a Sabre 210 and at with 240 without gear it's more than big.

Your thinking way too big and if your thinking non-zp then your thinking wrong.

Hmmm, not sure I ever thought I'd say "your thinking way too big".

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Strong winds and a huge canopy are a bad combination.
A larger, slower descending canopy means that you are more likely to land off the DZ.
A larger, slower - forward speed - canopy means that you are more likely to land while drifting backwards
Ask any old paratrooper - who has landed a round canopy going backwards - and they will tell you that heels, ass, head is the worst way to land.
The human body is simply not designed to land backwards.
Ideally, you want a canopy that flies about 20 miles per hour forward on calm days. With the same canopy, you will land straight down when winds blow at 20 mph. If winds exceed 20, stay on the ground.