BMFin

My first emergency exit

Suppose you did go for the main with a 1500' exit. If you passed 1000' at high speed as your main is opening and the AAD did fire would the proper procedure be to cut away the main or just leave them both up and hope they fly side by side?

I'd suggest talking to your instructor about what you're supposed to be doing with two out. My quick answer is if they're front-to-back or side-by-side, I'd leave them the hell alone at that low altitude. On the other hand, if they come out in a downplane, you've got to cut away. You pretty much have to wait to see what your canopies are going to do to make a decision.

I've been consistently told that it takes 1000' for a parachute to open.

Told by who? Michael, you have more than enough jumps to challenge something like this.

Questions you can ask:
Are these people assuming a particular type of canopy.
Are they assuming the deployment process is starting from terminal velocity.
I'm sure there are others.

I've been consistently told that it takes 1000' for a parachute to open.

Told by who? Michael, you have more than enough jumps to challenge something like this.

Questions you can ask:
Are these people assuming a particular type of canopy.
Are they assuming the deployment process is starting from terminal velocity.
I'm sure there are others.

I was told by several people I asked and even read it in a few places. I assume this is a catchall answer for beginners and I suppose if you've got a really bad snivel plus are opening after 12s of freefall it might take that much...

I got 4 jumps in this weekend and tried to check the altimeter as quick as I could after it was open. I'm flying a 285 student canopy - not sure exactly the make but they call it a 9-cell in my logbook. Last time was a jump and pull and the chute was open by 3200 from a 3500 exit. My rigger said he packed it up that time for a nice opening which I assume was a quick one. The other ones were IADs and open by around 3000.

-Michael

I assume this is a catchall answer for beginners...

You are going to get a lot of catchall answers for a lot of questions because most skydivers do not care enough to get educated on a lot of the technical and rigging aspects of the sport (that can perhaps even save their ass some day.)

It's going to be up to you to be a pest and keep asking questions until you get the right answers from educated people. Good luck and keep working hard to educate yourself, because it will make you a safer skydiver.

we would do a hop and pop if we could get over 1k when the weather moved in.

Maybe in the few years since my FJC my thinking has become a bit confused on this subject but Im surprised at the amount of people not willing to jump thier main at or below 1800 feet.

I think a review of the BSRs and minimum container opening altitudes is due here. Obviously an emergency exit is an emergency and you get out where you have to. But "weather moving in" is not emergency conditions in most cases. And to be surprised that people aren't willing to exit at or below 1800' is ignorance of the BSRs.

Here's an exerpt from SIM section 2-1 (BSRs).

G. Minimum opening altitudes [E]

Minimum container opening altitudes above the ground for skydivers are:

1. Tandem jumps--4,500 feet AGL

2. All students and A-license holders--3,000 feet AGL

3. B-license holders--2,500 feet AGL

4. C- and D-license holders--2,000 feet AGL

As you can see an exit below 2000' would be a violation of the BSRs for ANYBODY. An exit below 2500' would be a violation for A/B license holders, students, and tandems. An exit below 3000' would be a violation for A license holders, students, and tandems. An exit below 4500' would be a violation for tandems. Obviously, a declared aircraft emercency is just that, an emergency. But it seems to me that some are saying they conduct planned exits in violation of these BSRs.

It pays to know and stay CURRENT with the SIM and the BSRs. They are readily available
here
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Here's an exerpt from SIM section 2-1 (BSRs).

***G. Minimum opening altitudes [E]

Minimum container opening altitudes above the ground for skydivers are:

4. C- and D-license holders--2,000 feet AGL

Among other things, the BSRs don't take into account how fast you're going. Opening 12 seconds from impact as you pass through 2000 feet at 120 MPH is permitted while opening 13 seconds from impact from a 1500 foot hop-and-pop or even 15 seconds from impact at 1984 feet is not.

I understand and I realize that. I'm not disagreeing with you at all. That doesn't change the fact that the BSRs stipulate a "minimum container opening" altitude. They are what they are, despite what they have or have not accounted for. You could also argue that the BSRs were developed long ago with faster opening canopies when opening lower provided less chance to drift off the DZ with a barely maneuverable round, and don't account for today's slower opening canopies.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Interesting.
First let us remember that this is an international forum.

Now from the SIM as publiched by the USPA

Section 5.1

Guide
2007 Skydiver's Information Manual
A United States Parachute Association Publication

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 5: General Recommendations

Contents:
Summary
Section 5-1: Skydiving Emergencies
Section 5-2: Recurrency Training
Section 5-3: Equipment
Section 5-4: Pre-Jump Safety Checks and Briefings
Section 5-5: Weather
Section 5-6: Aircraft
Section 5-7: Spotting

Section Summary:

This section of the SIM provides USPA recommendations for skydiving that apply to all jumpers, regardless of discipline or experience. USPA updates them as equipment and techniques change.
Experience shows that proficiency in any skill depends on how often the skill is exercised, especially with skills that require presence of mind, coordination, sharpness of reflexes, and control of emotions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Section 5-1: Skydiving Emergencies
Contents:
A. Practice emergency procedures
B. Prevention and preparation
C. Take action
D. Aircraft emergencies
E. Equipment emergencies
F. Landing emergencies
G. Freefall collisions
H. Canopy collisions
I. Low turns

A. Practice emergency procedures

Back to Section 5-1

1. Regular, periodic review, analysis, and practice of emergency procedures prepares you to act correctly in response to problems that arise while skydiving.

2. Annually review all parachute emergency procedures in a training harness.

3. Long lay-offs between jumps not only dull skills but heighten apprehensions.

4. Before each jump, review the procedures to avoid emergency situations and the procedures to respond to emergencies if they occur.

5. Practice your reserve emergency procedures on the ground at every reserve repack.

a. Simulate some type of main malfunction on the ground, then cut away and pull the reserve.

b. This practice will provide you first-hand knowledge about the potential pull forces and direction of pull on you gear.

Back to Section 5-1

B. Prevention and preparation

Back to Section 5-1

1. Proper preparation and responsible judgment greatly reduce the probability of encountering an emergency situation, but even with the most careful precautions emergencies may still occur from time to time.

2. Skydiving is made safer by always anticipating and being prepared to respond to the types of emergencies which are likely to arise.

3. Failure to effectively deal with an emergency situation is one of the greatest causes of fatal incidents in skydiving.

4. Safety results from reducing risk:

a. Acquire accurate knowledge.

b. Jump only in suitable conditions.

c. Evaluate the risk factors.

d. Know your personal limitations.

e. Keep your options open.

Back to Section 5-1

C. Take action

Back to Section 5-1

1. Deploy the parachute.

a. Open the parachute at the correct altitude.

b. A stable, face-to-earth body position improves opening reliability but is secondary to opening at the correct altitude.

2. Promptly determine if the canopy has properly opened.

3. Perform the appropriate emergency procedures and open the reserve parachute if there is any doubt whether the main canopy is open properly and controllable.

4. Land in a clear area--a long walk is better than landing in a hazardous area.

5. Land safely--land with your feet and knees together in preparation for performing a PLF (parachute landing fall) to avoid injury.

Back to Section 5-1

D. Aircraft emergencies

Back to Section 5-1

1. Each skydiving center should establish and review procedures for all possible aircraft emergencies.

2. Every pilot and non-student jumper should thoroughly understand these procedures.

3. All students should take direction from their instructor(s).

That is the only thing I can see regarding aircraft emergencies.
Now while I was a little AFF ling not to say I am presently a skygod far from it but I digress. My instructor said that under 1k you are staying in the plane. 1k-2k pull silver. 2k-5k deploy on you main. 5k and above it is a skydive.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

It just showes that by not slowing the plane you can get full deployment with very little loss in altitude. No I am not suggesting anyone jump low. I just think is is important to understand the things that can effect how your chute opens, and the speed of the plane does have an effect on the opening of a hop and pop.

Does anyone know what the jump alitiude the millitary uses in a time of war for the airborne...I think it use to be 350ft agl (maybe 850agl?) and the plane was hauling ass.

Military jumps are 400 Feet and above. Though I'd point out that those are done using static lines, pretty much guaranteeing that you'll have something over your head after 4 seconds. Also, in wartime, they're done with the possible added variable of people shooting at you, meaning there is more motivation to sacrifice whatever you have to in order to get down fast.

It just showes that by not slowing the plane you can get full deployment with very little loss in altitude. No I am not suggesting anyone jump low. I just think is is important to understand the things that can effect how your chute opens, and the speed of the plane does have an effect on the opening of a hop and pop.

Well yes, but as I understand it, military chutes are also packed differently from, say, a civilian static line chute, causing them to open quicker. Or so wikipedia tells me. I don't really think you can compare the two.

It just showes that by not slowing the plane you can get full deployment with very little loss in altitude.

:S

No sorry, all it shows the military has determined that deploying soldier into battle areas at 400 feet with static lines achieves an acceptable balance of the different risks involved.

Since they are using static lines and jumping out of different jump ships and much different airspeeds there is little to any carry over to an emergency situation that a sport skydiver would be faced with.

:S

So you must have done a *lot* of these over 1K low hop and pops during your 100 jumps back in the day huh? :|
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

No I understand perfectly. I do hop and pops as low as 2000 since I am c qualified and that is as low as the BSR's will let me get out and open immediately, I like 3000 better it gives me a chance to do a canopy drill or two.

Since you apparently have bad reading comprehension let me point out that no one is denying that the speed of your exit effects your altitude lost during a hop and pop. :S

Try to understand that that most jumpers aren't exiting C130's (or what ever the mil. throws paratroopers out of now) with static lines. And most emergency exits aren't from planes doing C130 speeds. Most exits period aren't done at those speeds unless it is a special high speed pass.

Give it a break and go shut up and jump!!! :ph34r:

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Just because the takeoff airport you set your altimiter to says you are at 1,500AGL etc. doesn't mean that is how much altitude you really have.

In the midwest it may not vary much over the cornfields, but many DZ's have their jump planes flying over much higher terrain on the way to altitude.

Pay attention on the climb to your proximity to the hills. A 2,000ft emergency exit at some DZ's may actually be much less.

Here if you are pro rated you are cleared to jump hop 'n pop from 1800 on your main just use the prop blast/ wash to help deployment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way I can see the prop wash having any effect on deployment would be if the pilot chute was already out as you exited the plane and I'm pretty sure that's one of the things that belongs in a category named Things that can make any day much worse.:S