BMFin

My first emergency exit

Here if you are pro rated you are cleared to jump hop 'n pop from 1800 on your main just use the prop blast/ wash to help deployment.

Here you can jump as low as you want as long as you are open at 1800ft./600m ;);).

I wouldnt want to throw my PC to the prop blast, if I would be jumping a highly loaded elliptical.. I would rather open lower just to be sure I have a decent body position...

My 2 cts is that if I have a couple of weeks without jumping or more, my first jump is a hop & pop. Just to practice by myself without much traffic.

When I did my first hop n pop was scared as pretty much anyone else, but since I do more hop n pops than average (at least one or 2 in a regular jumping day), it helps me with refreshing my canopy and getting a feel for the DZ that very day. (I do check winds, recheck the DZ map for outs and get a briefing on winds, looking at a map).

I started decreasing the alti on these jumps, and it has helped. First one at 5k, and then I figure that I had plenty of time to recover, or do loops or whatever. My exit is usually diving out backwards, front etc. and even do a loop, just to simulate the event of an actual emergency exit. There is no issue or problem doing a 2,000ft hop n pop, it gives you skills that one day will probably safe your life.

What really surprises me, is that not many skydivers will do a hop n pop that low. Is there a reason?
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

What really surprises me, is that not many skydivers will do a hop n pop that low. Is there a reason?

I see this with a lot of newly graduated students and asked myself the same question. I reckon it is because more and more people are graduating from AFF, and some have never exited an aircraft that low before. Of course with RAPS, your first several jumps were from low altitude - how "low" just depends how long ago you did it!

we would do a hop and pop if we could get over 1k when the weather moved in. The speed of the plane is more than enough to open the main very quickly. over 1k gives you time to be open cut away if needed and on reserve....you just don't spend time trying to fix the main if it is not working.

we would do a hop and pop if we could get over 1k when the weather moved in. The speed of the plane is more than enough to open the main very quickly. over 1k gives you time to be open cut away if needed and on reserve....you just don't spend time trying to fix the main if it is not working.

Let me see if I understand what you are saying...
From 1K you would do a emer exit on your main, and if it has a problem, cut and go to your reserve?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Maybe in the few years since my FJC my thinking has become a bit confused on this subject but Im surprised at the amount of people not willing to jump thier main at or below 1800 feet.

It seems to me that if the cypress fires at 750ft going terminal then anything above 1000 feet on a hop and pop will give you time to use bolt if need be. Although you wouldn't have much margin for error.

In my very limited experience I have done one h&p for 1800 and I was open around 1400 or so. I would definitely not use my reserve from this 1800.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

Exiting from 1k, I going straight for the reserve. If your main has any snivel to it, you're screwed. If your main doesn't have snivel to it, you're still likely moving too slowly to pop a Cypres in the event of a mal.
Even a high speed mal isn't going to give you much time to deploy your reserve by the time you figure it out.
Remember that we fall 1000' in the first ten seconds. Your main is already going to open slowly due to the slow speed at which you exited. You *really* think that exiting at 1K and going for your main first is a good idea?

Exits at 2000 feet, from a stable aircraft, are no problem under a main parachute, and is something everyone should practice. (At least the stable exit and deployment part.) Even if you have a very snively canopy, you have about as much time as if you'd waved off at 3000 and pulled at 2500. If your goal is a safe landing it might be foolish to give up on your second parachute; if your reserve mals you can't cut it away.

There's a reason why I pull higher then 3000'. Actually my rig isn't setup for freefall right now anyways, with a full RDS system. The canopy consistantly takes 1000-1200ft to open at near terminal speeds, then there's that pesky RDS, which *can* stay on for a landing, especially in an emergancy situation. However, its still an addition to a system that can drastically raise the malfunction rate (even though I haven't had a mal on one). Now this is on a canopy that if it malfunctions will chew through altitude at near freefall speeds. So from 2000ft I'm not at or around 1000ft after opening on something that if it decided to malfunction would have me burning through 1000ft in a blink of an eye. I don't have a cypres in my rig during competition season, so I wouldn't have to worry about that, but from 2k my nice and big (and slow) PDr-176 is getting another jump put on it.

Basically its foolish to set your individual plan to someone else's expectations and you should sit down and realistically plan your plans of action. This is based on your experience level, the gear and the airplane (a half full otter could get out at 1500ft with no engines spinning, a 182 would be harder even though its just 4 people).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Exiting from 1k, I going straight for the reserve. If your main has any snivel to it, you're screwed. If your main doesn't have snivel to it, you're still likely moving too slowly to pop a Cypres in the event of a mal.
Even a high speed mal isn't going to give you much time to deploy your reserve by the time you figure it out.
Remember that we fall 1000' in the first ten seconds. Your main is already going to open slowly due to the slow speed at which you exited. You *really* think that exiting at 1K and going for your main first is a good idea?

Doug, read his jump #s and consider the source ... :S

steveOrino

People tendto forget that on a hop and pop, a slow opening from a less than terminal airspeed does not mean more altitude is lost than a faster opening at terminal.

In fact in my experience the opposite is true.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Doug, read his jump #s and consider the source ... :S

Ahhhh, So illusioneer is a Bass?
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2898546#2898546

I just aint that good at picking them out, but it does sound like someone does not know how things work eh? It's like pretending to be a surgeon in at a medical convention.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

[reply
People tendto forget that on a hop and pop, a slow opening from a less than terminal airspeed does not mean more altitude is lost than a faster opening at terminal.

In fact in my experience the opposite is true.

Bam! I was going to say the same thing.

Also another point of clarification, the Expert Cypress fires at 750ft...but makes the "decision" at 1K.
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

how is that a clarification? You're moving too slow to pop it at 1k (decision) and moving too slow to pop it at 750.
Either way, the Cypres isn't likely to fire if you have a low speed mal on a 1K "hop n' pop" emergency exit, right?
So sounds like both you and Diablopilot are recommending that illusioneer deploy his main on a 1K emergency exit?

So sounds like both you and Diablopilot are recommending that illusioneer deploy his main on a 1K emergency exit?

I can't speak for diablo, but I am/was not saying that.

My cutoff, with my canopy is still about 1.8K as it opens pretty slow and I don't want to be sniveling anywhere close to 1K.
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

FIRST of all-I do not pretend to be anything other than a beginning jumper 101 jumps is all I have (it is right next to my name), and I have not jumped in 12 years.... :(
I was only saying that with with the speed of the plane on a 1-2 second delay I was horizontal to the ground and looking up at the 182 as it flew away while the chute was opening. I did not look at my altimeter but I would would be surprised if I was below 925ft after it was open.
FYI- AAD's were kinda new and no one other than the student rigs had them, so I don't know what will make them fire or not...Didn't have to worry about that.
Now I may be FAT, OLD, FORGETFUL, and UGLY but I am NOT FULL OF SH*T! ;)

I am NOT FULL OF SH*T! ;)

I was only saying that

More accurately, what you said was “over 1k gives you time to be open cut away if needed and on reserve....”

I guess 12k is over 1k, and so is 1001’ eh?
You did not specify how much over 1k you were referring to, but it came across to those who did not read it correctly (at least to me) that 1k was enough altitude (for the club you were jumping at) sufficient for clear and pulls – and - that jumping from 1k allows time for a jumper to exit, deploy the main and still have enough altitude if there was a problem with the main to initiate emergency procedures for a partial malfunction.
This defies all of the better practices of safe philosophies concerning skydiving that I have been subjected to thus far.

with the speed of the plane on a 1-2 second delay I was horizontal to the ground and looking up at the 182 as it flew away while the chute was opening. I did not look at my altimeter but I would be surprised if I was below 925ft after it was open.

Horizontal to the ground meaning:
You were belly to earth (horizontal) or standing up (vertical)?
If you are saying that your canopy was open 75 feet after exiting a 182 then you may be mistaken.

The reason some of us are particular about the validity, or if you will, accuracy of such statements is that there are up and coming jumpers who read these forums and I certainly would not want any jumper to get the idea in their head that making exits from 1,000’AGL is sufficient altitude to initiate EPs for a partial malfunction.
So anytime anyone makes statements that are outside the realm of safe possibilities, many of us here will question such claims. Furthermore, when a trained skydiver makes such claims, there is the potential that some may question the validity of their "training".
Mykel AFF-I10

You are assuming something. Bad idea. In no way did I recommend such a thing, I claified something you stated, and add a small peice of information to anyones tool box that might read it.

Either way, the Cypres isn't likely to fire if you have a low speed mal on a 1K "hop n' pop" emergency exit, right?

Depends at what altitude you chop fom the mal. Chop at less than 300 feet and you're unlikely to ceate enough speed for a fie before impact.

I HIGHLY recommend everyone who owns an AAD ead the manual and understand all of it's fiing parameters.

Making the infomed decision to deploy a main at 1000ft sub terminal, is far better than blindly doing so with a reserve and no information. It's all about knowing the limits of your gear.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

>the Expert Cypress fires at 750ft...but makes the "decision" at 1K.

Not really. It makes the decision to fire and then fires milliseconds later. The "makes the decision at 1K" myth arises because when you deploy your main at (say) 900 feet, the cypres will continue to see a descent as you rotate into a head-high position (which means higher pressure over the reserve container, which translates to a lower sensed altitude.) Thus a cypres will fire at around 1000 feet back-to-earth, somewhat lower in a standing attitude and 750 feet if belly-to-earth. In all cases the cypres fires when its firing parameters are met, and does not "delay" 250 feet.

>You're moving too slow to pop it at 1k (decision) and moving too slow to
>pop it at 750.

The cypres will fire if its descent rate is exceeded (and certain other parameters are met) between an altitude of ~750 and ~130 feet. (All from the cypres manual.)

>Either way, the Cypres isn't likely to fire if you have a low speed mal on a
>1K "hop n' pop" emergency exit, right?

If you begin a descent from 1000 feet the cypres is unlikely to save you, as a jumper at Rantoul discovered a few years back.

>So sounds like both you and Diablopilot are recommending that illusioneer
>deploy his main on a 1K emergency exit?

Would depend on a great many factors. If the choice was a large CRW canopy or a smaller reserve, you're probably better off with the CRW canopy. If it's a Velocity 79 vs a PD113, your reserve is probably the better choice. Also keep in mind that a stable exit is _not_ necessarily the best exit if you are going to use your reserve at such an altitude - a PC in the burble might well take many seconds to clear.

Also keep in mind that this is a bit like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. If there is an aircraft emergency so serious that it merits a bailout at 1000 feet, getting out and deploying anything is going to take some large measure of luck.

This is not an argument I really think should have been... All new jumpers should listen to your instructors!

I do not have the experience to advise anyone on doing anything other than what is standard safe jumping! I was not suggesting any deviation from safe jumping, just telling what I thought I remembered from 12 years ago.

can you clarify? I was under the impression that a cypres wouldn't fire until you'd exceeded the activation height of 1500ft - emergency exit at 1200ft would therefore not have any impact on the cypres?

I think i'm a bit confused by a couple of differing posts in this thread. Cheers :)

3000ft?? You might want to ask your instructors again...

I do hop&pops between 2800-3000ft, I think it would be pretty ridiculous to use your reserve at that altitude. I can understand pulling silver on a 1800-2000ft exit, 1500 for sure. But 3000 ft is more than enough altitude :|

Incidentally, I made my lowest exit yet yesterday. I was practicing accuracy and we exited a C182 at ~2100'.

It was plenty high - I waited about 3 seconds and pulled and still had 1500' to deal with any issues.

I actually thought it was especially exciting to get out that low. :D

If you look at illusioneer's profile you can see that the gear he jumped 12 years ago did not have a Cypres or a slow opening main. I'm only 28, but I hear back in the early days of skydiving rounds they would deploy lower than we do today on our high performance canopies.

I've done a freefall from 300' using my BASE rig. I would say that your emergency exit altitude should depend on the gear that's on your back.

I enjoy these discussions because we can all learn from them.

I was told that the jumpmaster would tell us on an emergency exit if we're to use the reserve, otherwise he would just grab our pilot and throw us out the door.

I've been consistently told that it takes 1000' for a parachute to open. I've always disagreed but need more jumps to observe better. Last time I finished all my tasks, control checks and such from a 3500 IAD I was at 2800. Does part of this come from the kinetic energy from the plane causing me to pass through 1000' of air (some of it in the forward direction???)

Suppose you did go for the main with a 1500' exit. If you passed 1000' at high speed as your main is opening and the AAD did fire would the proper procedure be to cut away the main or just leave them both up and hope they fly side by side?

I understand there there isn't any easy way to cut away the reserve but suppose the reserve did fail and you threw out the main pilot then the main would come out wouldn't it?

-Michael

Propwash is far too small to affect opening.
You would be wiser to ask the pilot for an extra twenty or thirty or forty knots of airspeed before you exit.

Not likely to happen during an emergency ...
The conversation will probably end with: "Shut the F up and get out of my airplane!"
Hee!
Hee!