IronMike

Anti Americanism in Europe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Reply To

I'll give you extra altitude if you leave the thread open Mama.......

Hell.. I'll spend some time under her table at the pub tomorrow night

Some MAMA time lol

Oh yah...oh yah!???? Welll....I'lllll.......give even more altitude than I was planning to before.....so there!

IMPOSSIBLE!!! She won't want to leave the table!! lol

Beat that!! Hah! B|

Rhino

MikeD,
You are funny and smart....You must be a closet American!

Err... Thank you for the endorsement, but it just isn't the same as when Bluefingers & Skystorm say it (I also kind of take exception to the whole "Closet" reference!:D

No offence mate, but right now flying South still kind of beats flying West.B|

Mike.

PS. "hypothetically":S... Bush invades Iraq (YES... I know not personally[:/])... West secures MASSIVE oil reserves... Oil prices fall... Jet fuel gets dirt cheap... Mike & NacMac can now afford to fly to South Africa & NamibiaB|B|:D.

What further justification for this war do you need!?:o

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

That's exactly why the thread is still open Michele, because I'm hoping that everyone will take the hint to post their viewpoints without attacks. Where else can we get the opportunity to do something like this, and talk freely with people from all over the world about the subject?

So, c'mon you all, tell us what you think, but please be aware of the rules. And, I need to get some work done, I can't keep checking every post as it comes up! :S

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

"Mike & NacMac can now afford to fly to South Africa & Namibia"

Bomb them, invade them, snag them, jag them, but catch that pigeon now!.........;)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

IMPOSSIBLE!!! She won't want to leave the table!! lol

Beat that!! Hah! B|

Rhino

Damn. Curses you Riddler! I'll think of sumpin though. Just gotta give this super hero some time.

[final Jeapordy music comes up]

Rig? no....can't afford a new one for myself....

Boasting about physical attributes.....no....no....she'll never believe it....

Damn.....I think you win.....

Hell.. I'll spend some time under her table at the pub tomorrow night

Some MAMA time lol

Oh yah...oh yah!???? Welll....I'lllll.......give even more altitude than I was planning to before.....so there!

Sorry Rhino, you're married with child on the way. No time under the table for you. Chris wins hands down with his batting eyes and extra altitude. Besides, he's hot in that uniform of his. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Sorry Rhino, you're married with child on the way. No time under the table for you. Chris wins hands down with his batting eyes and extra altitude. Besides, he's hot in that uniform of his.

Andrea

It was a virtual table damnit@!#!@# LOL

o.k. Chris you go under the table.. LOL

I believe that we still have room for the politicians and weapons inspectors to do their jobs.
I believe that the 'anti-American' sentiment reported by CNN is in itself an overreaction. Many people are against the WAR, not against the US. We have not sent 40,000 friends and family to support the threat of action there for nothing have we?
Europe has a much higher muslim population than the US. If you want a reasonable representation of what is going on in Europe you should take a glance at the BBC site. http://news.bbc.co.uk/
But Mike and I really need a break.....Scotland is so damp, and South Africa sounds really appealing.;)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

OK, you sorry assed European :P, I'm going home now. I'll start saving up for that bottle of Johnny Blue so long. And I'll get Blue to save up patience for dealing with that Gerbil fellow :ph34r:.

IronMike, I am happy that we learned something here. I am not too crazy about people in general either sometimes, but one learns to be strong and bravely weather the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune with time :)
:P

--
ZZZzzzz....

I'll bring the oxygen tanks!!!!;)

Err... Why would DiverDriver NEED oxygen to spend time under SkyMama's table:o.

I'm now compelled to look on our gloroius moderator in a new (and frankly scary) light!

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Fair enough.

I have no problem with what happened in Afghanistan nor do I take issue with chasing down Bin Hiding or blowing up trucks with hellfires. Terrorists are not nice people and deserve what they get. This includes IRA, UDA, UFF and all the other groups in N. Ireland.

I have a hard time with the jump from Afghanistan to Baghdad and including Iran in the "axis of Evil". From what I'd read about Iran they were becoming more open to the international community and progress was being made towards normalising relations with certain western governments (I think it was the UK and France). I think that part of the problem is the mixed message towards the three countries.
Baghdad is certainly unfinished business though that is because the UN let them off the hook last time. I think the impartialty of the inspectors was compromised in that case.
As far as the latest rift in NATO goes preparing to defend Turkey isn't a bad idea. I think the concern is that doing so would accelerate the troop build up. I think it's going to get hot in Iraq soon so there's a timeline that does exist for action to be taken.

What scares me is that Dubya may just go ahead regardless so that he isn't embarrassed by having to pull the troops back when summer arrives in the desert. I don't like the idea of a war to save someone's reputation. War is too ugly for that.

David

Hi, NacMac

I believe that we still have room for the politicians and weapons inspectors to do their jobs.

I am really interested in what you see as the inspectors' jobs. From what I understand, and I've been known to be wrong, their job is simply to verify that the WMD declared by Hussein and his group have already been disposed of. It's to verify that the information declared is accurate and complete. What have I missed?

As for the politicians actually doing anything other than posturing for their constituency, I am not clear. Diplomacy has not worked so far. Nor has 12 years of sanctions. The UN is violating their charter of protection vis-a-vis Turkey, and there is something significant happening with France and Russia in alliance with Germany.

Add to that the additional threat level raised (here and in the UK and Saudi Emerates), and this being a significant one (inasmuch as the panic button has been pushed by FEMA), an additional 400 troops in tanks at Heathrow, the Hajj ending Thursday, ad nauseum ad infinitum blah yada...

Something is indeed going on, and I don't understand what. And I do hear a lot of anti-americanism (not just CNN, etc. but in sites that I go to and read on originating outside the US), but I am really unclear as to why, exactly, this feeling is so pervasive.

Just curious...

Ciels
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I agree that the inspectors have an important part to play still. We need as much info as possible about what is being found and what the Iraqis are doing to cooperate or hinder them. I so wanted more info from Bush about intelligence they said they had. They revealed some but unfortunately I think they still could be more forth coming. Not that I don't think they have it. I just don't know why they are protecting it.

I feel that France and Germany have an obligation to NATO to support Turkey no matter if they like this war or not. And if I remember the issue correctly all they opposed was the -planning- to support Turkey. What's wrong with beginning the planning? This doesn't make sense really. Or I might be missing some aspect of the issue that came up.

I think so far the Afghani people are better off now than they were under the Taliban. The women have more rights and hopefully more free speach and fewer guns will reign in that country. It won't happen over night. It will take a lot of work from within if those people want it.

I feel the same can come for the Iraqi people. I seriously hope we don't go down the road of taking all their oil. I'm a bit optimistic that will not happen. We do want to protect our alli Jordan's oil supply too. They get it from the Iraqi's. And very cheap too.

I do feel that Hussein is a threat to citizens in the US and around the world. And we do need to remove him rather than just let them stay at risk of random attacks. I feel we have been appeasing the UN enough by supporting the no-fly zones for over 10 years with no end in sight. We are paying the bill for this. Enough is enough.

Chris Schindler

Sometime in the future we and other nations won't be oil based economies. Then what happens to desert countries that ONLY survive off of oil?

It will be a bunch of black shit that comes from the ground and their countries income will HALT.. What then?

Rhino

>And, if you call me prejudiced or racist for that viewpoint, is it not
>prejudiced or racist for people in Europe to be 'Anti-American'
> because some, not all, people in this country favor war?

Prejudiced means forming an opinion before you know the facts surrounding the issue i.e. Harry sees a broken window therefore the neighborhood is bad.

Racist means you judge someone differently because of their race i.e. Harry dislikes Joe because Joe is black.

If you dislike another country because of what they are doing, it qualifies as neither, just as you can dislike what a rapist does without being either prejudiced or racist - no matter what color the rapist is.

As an example - do you like what Iraq is doing? If not, are you racist because you hate arabs, or do you just hate evil dictators who hide WMD's?

>My life philosiphy is, "If you are not helping, you are hurting".

I'm not helping you. How am I hurting you? You're not helping me; how are you hurting me? There is a lot of value in living and letting live.

Hi, KB...

What scares me is that Dubya may just go ahead regardless so that he isn't embarrassed by having to pull the troops back when summer arrives in the desert. I don't like the idea of a war to save someone's reputation. War is too ugly for that.

That's one of the perceptions I just don't get. Why is it believed that it's Bush's reputation that is driving this? I must've missed something somewhere, but that's not what I see. I do believe that the UN's reputation is on the line, and they've recently done some things which really concern me - such as you mentioned, as well as the Turkey thing.

Personally, I believe that France is far more complicit in this then we are aware of; and Germany's position comes from several decades of anti-american sentiment. Pooty-poo's flop is fascinating, and the alliance between these three speaks volumes of "something" (dunno what, just yet).

I also don't see why it's so hard to see the leap between AQ/terrorism and Iraq. Why is it so impossible? And what evidence would someone need to be convinced otherwise?

I am soooooooo late to the office, but I will be coming onto the thread during the day as time permits (and it stays unlocked)...

Thanks for taking the time to state your thoughts, and I look forward to seeing more as time progresses.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

>Why is it believed that it's Bush's reputation that is driving this?

While it's certainly not the only factor, it is one factor in the equation that makes up deciding to go to war. In his defense I think it is a minor one.

>I also don't see why it's so hard to see the leap between
> AQ/terrorism and Iraq. Why is it so impossible? And what evidence
> would someone need to be convinced otherwise?

It's not impossible, but then, it's not impossible that I am a serial killer just posing as an engineer/skydiver. Fortunately, we have a system of justice here that presupposes someone is innocent until there is good proof that they're guilty. We don't apply the same standards to the rest of the world, but still, you need _some_ proof, just a little, to show a link. It's not enough to say "Hey, that sounds plausible to me! Hussein, prove my thinking is wrong or we attack."

Currently the 700 club has more links to Al Quaeda than Hussein; Pat Robertson gave $15 million to Charles Taylor, the dictator of Liberia who sheltered Al Quaeda before and after 9/11.

(inasmuch as the panic button has been pushed by FEMA), an additional 400 troops in tanks at Heathrow

new pants to leicester square please... :(
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

We don't apply the same standards to the rest of the world, but still, you need _some_ proof, just a little, to show a link. It's not enough to say "Hey, that sounds plausible to me! Hussein, prove my thinking is wrong or we attack."

Then there's still that ever present pesky little detail about what happened to all that VX nerve gas, Anthrax and missiles.

My life philosiphy is, "If you are not helping, you are hurting".
I'm not helping you. How am I hurting you? You're not helping me; how are you hurting me? There is a lot of value in living and letting live.

I din't say you had to help me or that I had to help you....I mean this in a broad sense. If you are not giving more than you are taking, or at least equal give and take, then you are hurting society as a whole....thats more clearly what I mean.