BuckWild1

AFF cost $2400....bueno o no?!

So I'm starting AFF this weekend with the first part of ground school and a tandem. The total cost of the AFF is $2400 which includes all instruction and 25 jumps. Am I getting beat up here or does this sound like a pretty average cost for AFF? Would I be better to do some static line? As far as time constraints I'd like to get going with the training and start jumping out of airplanes by myself! Any info appreciated. Thanks everybody and awesome website and community.

Welcome!!!

I see you're from "Madison". If that's Madison, WI, take a look at S/L with Skydive Wissota (Chippewa Falls). We'll get you to 25 jumps for $735. That includes EVERYTHING (gear, instruction, some video, packing lessons...everything you will need to get to class A). We do have a skydiver that goes to UW-Madison and you could car pool sometimes so you could save some money there...for jumping of course. 25 jumps are 25 jumps whether you're S/L or AFF.
And you'll be jumping with 2 World Teamers, and others that I have thousands of jumps. Unless you're doing a hop n pop of course. You'll always be jumping with another jumper or more (I had three four ways before I got my class A license). Might want to check to see if that $2400 is AFF jumps to graduation and then solos from there on out (coaching, gear, etc, extra?). Plus, you can jump by yourself right off the bat (there are AFF programs that don't require a tandem), although I would recommend a tandem to start with so you have an idea of exit/freefall, skydiving, landing, etc).

No matter what you do, HAVE FUN!!!!! And welcome to skydiving...more addictive and more expensive than crack! But then again...as Whitney Houstan put it, "Crack is Whack!"...skydiving is much better!

I hate to sound like a broken record already, but WildFan has been helping me out a lot lately with the same issue. My friend and I were going to go through the AFF training at Skydive Twincities, until she informed me that we could actually get all 25 jumps plus all the extras (gear, etc) through the S/L training for less than half of what we would have paid to do just the first 7 jumps through AFF..... my friend and I will be starting our training on April 14th at Wissota, if you're a poor college student like us, (or just poor in general - like us!) :P you might want to think about doing S/L at Wissota instead. Check out their website, and let me know if you decide to switch!

www.skydivewissota.org/
Into the great wide open/ under them skies of blue/ out in the great wide open/ a rebel w/out a clue.....

I did the S/L progression when I started, and never regreted it. Here is a little food for thought......... S/L is half the cost and for 25 jumps ....... now here comes the food for thought .... think of all the fun!! Not only fun, but think of your skills in canopy flight and many other areas and skill sets that you can learn in say 25 jumps!

Kent
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------JUMP SAFE!

What does the 25 jumps include?

Is it AFF then solo for 25, is it AFF with a cap of 25 dives incase you're a slow learner, or is it AFF then coaching to get your A license?

If you do really well you should solo on about your 8th jump. You still won't have a license though. At about 25 jumps or more you'll get your skydiving A license.

It could be a good deal it depends on what happens after your AFF. It probably also takes a lot of the risk out of it, failing your early AFF dives with 2 instructors could get expensive.

Care to substantiate that claim?

I couldn't get my A license in CT for that price, but they are claiming that their DZ can pull it off.

I don't see where deception comes in to play?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I agree. You should be able to get your A lic via S/L for $1100 to 1250. Its definitely less expensive that most than AFF. My 0.02 worth is you get a whole lot more instruction and skills taught to you, BUT, this is all dependant on the DZ. I am not knocking AFF and am sure that there are some truly great caring AFF instructors, but you can't argue that the attention given from jump 12 to 25 (at lease where I jump) is a hugh plus. My 0.02
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------JUMP SAFE!

Even if you are a prodigy, you will not get your A for anywhere near $735.

Thats the bottom line. Can you say deception?

Wissota is a club DZ. They aren't in it for a profit, and they don't fly turbines, and they do static line, so they can keep the costs way down.

(Full disclosure: I'm not a regular jumper at Wissota, but I've been there twice and really liked the place. They are some of the nicest people you will ever meet and they know how to throw a party to boot. I have no financial interest blah blah blah.)

Even if you are a prodigy, you will not get your A for anywhere near $735.

Thats the bottom line. Can you say deception?

I got my class A license (25 jumps) for $735 and no, it's not deception. And am I far from being a prodigy. Maybe via AFF it's impossible, but not doing S/L progression at Skydive Wissota it's not. S/L class with 5 jumps is $235 with the $5 coupon on our website. The 20 jump package is $500 and it includes gear, instruction, coaching, EVERYTHING. We teach you how to pack (no packing class that you have to take and pay for). It's not deception, it's not a farse. It's fact. Feel free to visit our website at www.skydivewissota.org and take a look for yourself. Otherwise, you can also call the dropzone on the weekends and talk to any of our skydivers.

Ok...I take that back, I lied. I didn't get my class A license for $735 (25 jumps). I got my class A license for $760 (26 jumps). I was suppose to do my check dive on jump #25 and got talked into doing a four way instead with two world teamers and another guy with 3,000 jumps (you shouldn't really say no to a four way with a jump total of 27,025 jumps), so I had to pay an extra $25 to do my check dive for #26.

It is possible. And that's the bottom line.

Editted to add: Just kidding..website is fine. Must have been my connection.

That's probably right. I'm very afraid to add up all the money I spent to get my A. Not to mention I paid double, since my son got his the same day I did.

Unbelievably well worth it though. Welcome.

Stan

My A was around 2200 and that was 2 and a half years ago. I also included 15 min of tunnel time in that. The tunnel helped me out so much.

Thats really cool that you and your son both got your As. Congrats.

[ I have no financial interest blah blah blah.)

No one has financial interest in Wissota. Although I'm sure that Bob would appreciate not having to dig in his pocket to help pay for the two new engines for X-Ray and Romeo this year. I certainly don't make anything by tooting their horn, not even a free jump. I do it because the more people that jump at Wissota, the more people I'll have to jump with and for purely the love of the sport.

...I'm not a regular jumper at Wissota...They are some of the nicest people you will ever meet and they know how to throw a party to boot. I have no financial interest blah blah blah.)

I can vouch for the ones I have met. To a man...er, and ladies, they have all been good people. I don't think there's anywhere that can beat the price is there?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I used the term ‘deception’ because every student I’ve talked to who have gone thru S/L progression in the past 5 years, felt like they were deceived. S/L progression needs to be explained and understood completely by the future student. Were all the ones I talked to actually deceived? Who knows? But making a blanket statement of “We'll get you to 25 jumps for $735. That includes EVERYTHING (gear, instruction, some video, packing lessons...everything you will need to get to class A” is misleading. (Wildfan 75, I am absolutely not saying you deliberately mislead him, in fact I think you are a very sharp person). I think it’s great if the cost is that low, after all, the cost is a major obstacle for most who want to get into our passion. But the potential student who perceives he/she is going to be a “certified” skydiver at that cost is usually in for a let down unless they know all the tangibles. For folks here who accomplished this, I salute you. But this is not the norm.

Luck is Preparation meeting Opportunity

But making a blanket statement of “We'll get you to 25 jumps for $735. That includes EVERYTHING (gear, instruction, some video, packing lessons...everything you will need to get to class A” is misleading.

No it's not. $735 will get you 25 jumps at Wissota. Plain and simple, and that does include everything gear, instruction, some video, packing lessons, etc. Are you expected to start looking for your own gear (not necessarily a rig, but at least an altimeter, jumpsuit, helmet) if you're going to continue? Yes, but if all you want is 25 jumps, then $735 (with the coupon from our website) is what it's going to cost you. There is absolutely nothing debateable about my statement. It is fact. 100%. If it is too unbelievable to be true...then sorry that the sport has not been as good to you as it has been to me.

I used the term ‘deception’ because every student I’ve talked to who have gone thru S/L progression in the past 5 years, felt like they were deceived. S/L progression needs to be explained and understood completely by the future student.

How do they feel they were deceived? What do you think they are misunderstanding?

You're not going to find a huge difference between cost of AFF at different drop zones. Call a few different ones to compare prices.

Static Line progression was great in 1978. Does it work? Yes. Is AFF a better training program? Absolutely!

Well now that I've got everybody all spooled up on AFF vs. Static Line....wow! Anyways, thanks to all of you for the info. I'm going with the AFF because of the freefall training and more importantly the proximity of the DZ. I can't be spending all of my time driving to the DZ...got to save some of it for jumping and going boating this summer! Thanks again to everyone.

Skeet skeet ;)

How do they feel they were deceived? What do you think they are misunderstanding?

Often times places list a price with the suggestion that this gets it done, but the large number of additional fees can dwarf the original value.

In the diving world, you see prices for open water certifications that range from $99-$299. But nearly all end up costing about 500-600$ to get a c card. All require you to buy the basic snorkel equipment. The $99 specials don't include rentals, or the $20 c card, or sometimes even the checkout dives.

In skydiving, a lot of places still do AFF and sell that package, which of course leaves you 18 jumps short, and those 18 will run more than your entire club S/L program charges. Repeat jumps is the other big cost inflator.

In California it would be hard to get the A in less than 2-3grand. Lodi is the exception, of course, but not if taking weekdays off costs you money.

Hey man, you should check out Seven Hills, they are a non-profit, member owned place just north of Madison. It is close and having IAD, it should be a little cheaper. They do NOT offer AFF at all unless somthing just changed so it my not be the way you want but it can save money on the jumps and drives and I am told you can become a member if you show interest...