meatmissile

Cyber attacks?

"Are you ready?"

An extract:

Protection against cyber attacks

Cyber attacks target computer or telecommunication networks of critical infrastructures such as power systems, traffic control systems, or financial systems. Cyber attacks target information technologies (IT) in three different ways. First, is a direct attack against an information system “through the wires” alone (hacking). Second, the attack can be a physical assault against a critical IT element. Third, the attack can be from the inside as a result of compromising a trusted party with access to the system.

Be prepared to do without services you normally depend on that could be disrupted—electricity, telephone, natural gas, gasoline pumps, cash registers, ATM machines, and internet transactions.

Be prepared to respond to official instructions if a cyber attack triggers other hazards, for example, general evacuation, evacuation to shelter, or shelter-in-place, because of hazardous materials releases, nuclear power plant incident, dam or flood control system failures.

I mean, can a "cyber attack" really unleash all those things, or have I got the cat by the tail? Does this kind of stuff not only serve to cause uneccesary panic, or is the threat real?

--
ZZZzzzz....

Some of us have some pretty bad ass countermeasures set up for those special occasions with neat software that kills operating systems and does some really cool damage to any host machines trying to hack our networks..

I like it when people try and screw with me B|

Rhino

>I mean, can a "cyber attack" really unleash all those things . . .

Nuclear power plant incident - it's very unlikely they could do anything beyond a SCRAM and even that would be tough to do; nuclear power plants use hardwired and heavily redundant control systems rather than relying on networking and embedded controllers.

Dam control systems - would be hard to imagine a scenario where a quick cyber attack would damage a dam or cause it to release deadly amounts of water.

Hazardous materials releases - also unlikely. Their best chance would be to mess with an industrial process (like a refinery or fertilizer plant) that could cause venting of nasties, but those sorts of nasties aren't all that bad (chlorine, ammonia, sodium hydroxide etc.) We've dealt with such spills before.

Much more likely are cyber attacks that disrupt information services. Some are just annoying (cellphones and pagers, Internet routing) some are more dangerous (hospital records systems, ATC, railway signaling, GPS.) There are a few other scary scenarios that I won't detail for obvious reasons.

Nuclear power plant incident - it's very unlikely...

Dam control systems - would be hard to imagine a scenario...

Hazardous materials releases - also unlikely. ...

Much more likely are cyber attacks that disrupt information services. Some are just annoying (cellphones and pagers, Internet routing) some are more dangerous (hospital records systems, ATC, railway signaling, GPS.) There are a few other scary scenarios that I won't detail for obvious reasons.

Overall I agree with you Bill, but remember that cyber attacks are usually a "distributed" effort, the details of which I won't go into either (for obvious reasons). Just remember that information systems control just about everything except the household appliances, from traffic lights to the power grid.

Remember, DPRK and China now... :P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!