padu

What's the liability for alti manufacturers?

I'm wondering here, in the land of layers, what is the liability of skydiving altimeter manufacturers if:
1. The altimeter stops working during a jump
2. (1.) happens and there is an accident with injury or death.

Can someone claim it was the manufacturer's fault? I guess everyone can claim anything, but any chance this would get any traction in court?
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

I'm wondering here, in the land of layers, what is the liability of skydiving altimeter manufacturers if:
1. The altimeter stops working during a jump
2. (1.) happens and there is an accident with injury or death.

Can someone claim it was the manufacturer's fault? I guess everyone can claim anything, but any chance this would get any traction in court?

First page of the N3 user manual:

Warning: PARACHUTING IS A HAZARDOUS ACTIVITY THAT CAN RESULT IN INJURY OR DEATH.
An altimeter is a device subject to malfunction, even when properly designed, built, assembled, maintained, and used. Do not rely upon an altimeter for your safety. Your altimeter must only be considered as an aid when checking your altitude. A visual cross reference with the ground should be used in combination with any altimeter.

But, given the current society in the US... I wouldn't be a tad bit surprised to see them get sued anyways.

ETA: I somehow smashed the LCD on my N2 on exit last year, just broke off with the rest of the group and had an uneventful canopy ride.

Also once forgot my altimeter on a rush to the plane, had my dytter in my helmet that was on, uneventful jump as well.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

but any chance this would get any traction in court

I sure hope not. Regardless of warnings in the manual, people have eyes to use as altimeters. There's a reason blind people use two of them.

I'd imagine that with so much institutional evidence against relying on altimeters (e.g. a quick search through dz.com) it'd be reasonable to assume that traction would be tough.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)