scottymccomas

Used Mirage

IM looking at buying a used Mirage G4, Specter 210, PDR 193, and Cypres 2. The main and AAD were both made in '03 and the reserve was made in '04. Supposedly the whole this only has 50 jumps but who knows if that's true.

Anyways the reserve has one ride on it, is that a big deal? (if you only going to give a little piece of advice this is what im most curious about) Also the Cypres is in need of the 8 year service, so thats inconvenient but not a huge deal.

Now that yall know all the facts the seller is asking $5000 plus the cost of shipping. I feel like thats a little high, im thinking $4500 is a fair price since the reserve has been ridden and the cypres needs service. What is a fair price in your opinion?

Im new to skydiving so anything helps :)
Its Monday, Ill ask the same question at the DZ on Saturday. When I'm there...

As likestojump says, a couple reserve rides are no big deal. Who knows, maybe a reserve with zero rides might sell for a tiny bit more money in some cases as being a little more pristine. (People do indeed proudly announce, "for sale, no rides!" It's not about structural integrity, more just a feeling that it may have gotten a bit of dirt on it, and is just more "used" in a general sense. But generally a reserve ride or three goes with the territory, whatever seems appropriate to the age of the canopy, and isn't a negative when selling.

Is this gear even the right size for you? $5000 seems high to me.

Edit to add a few other examples in the classifieds

For example. You could buy this and put a brand new Cypres in it for less than 5000:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=132565;d=1

Similar size with newer Cypres:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=131485;d=1

Newer all around, much newer Vigil:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=132122;d=1

What's your exit weight and experience level?
Owned by Remi #?

IM looking at buying a used Mirage G4, Specter 210, PDR 193, and Cypres 2. The main and AAD were both made in '03 and the reserve was made in '04. Supposedly the whole this only has 50 jumps but who knows if that's true.

Anyways the reserve has one ride on it, is that a big deal?

Yes. Some one tested the reserve for you without dying and increased the certainty of there being no construction problems which the rigger(s) maintaining it missed.

The bigger issue is the number of repacks on it which cause more wear than use.

Now that yall know all the facts the seller is asking $5000 plus the cost of shipping. I feel like thats a little high, im thinking $4500 is a fair price since the reserve has been ridden and the cypres needs service. What is a fair price in your opinion?

Sounds way high.

For the Cypres, take the new price ( for example $1425) and subtract the trade-in value ($80) = $134/11

Divide that by total life (12.5) years to get price per year = $107. Multiply by time remaining (3.5?) = $374.50 and add back the trade-in $454.50.

A new Cypres includes a fresh check; a used one does not. Subtract the fraction of the service interval (100% since it's timed out) * (service + shipping) which are $160 and maybe $20 (I'm guessing) for a $180 sub-total.

That Cypres is worth $275.

Im not sure if the gear the right size for me, the dealer is located in California and said the company has a 15 day money back guarantee so I could try it on, get it inspected, jump it, and return it for a full refund. Which is a pretty solid deal.

I just finished up my gold card so im still quite inexperienced. My exit weight is around 220 lbs, keep in mind that I live in Colorado and my DZ is at 5200 ft so my canopy should be larger than some who jumps at sea level.

I get that the gear is expensive but finding a rig that fits someone who is 6'3" is ridiculously difficult, so any time a rig for a big guy like me comes on the market i immediately becoming interested.

Im not sure if the gear the right size for me, the dealer is located in California and said the company has a 15 day money back guarantee so I could try it on, get it inspected, jump it, and return it for a full refund. Which is a pretty solid deal.

I just finished up my gold card so im still quite inexperienced. My exit weight is around 220 lbs, keep in mind that I live in Colorado and my DZ is at 5200 ft so my canopy should be larger than some who jumps at sea level.

I get that the gear is expensive but finding a rig that fits someone who is 6'3" is ridiculously difficult, so any time a rig for a big guy like me comes on the market i immediately becoming interested.

FWIW, you can usually have a new harness put on for about $400.

It's not a solid deal. It's overpriced for its age and it's going to cost a couple of hundred or so to get the Cypres up to date. Who knows if you need a new lineset on the main for a few hundred more?

Most people recommend used gear for beginners, and that's good advice, but if you really were of a size that finding used gear is super difficult (and you're not, BTW. I suspect that you're just impatient to buy something) You could spend about $1000 more and you're getting damned close to the price of all brand new gear.

Take a look here, for example:

http://www.chutingstar.com/newgear_en/gear-packages/sport-skydiving-rigs
Owned by Remi #?

I know its not a solid deal the rig is way over priced. I was talking about his companies return policy.

Im also aware that there is gear out there that will fit, its just that most of the time it will be from the 90's or have some super high performance canopy in it. That leaves only a small amount of gear to choose from and more often than not its crap like this mirage.

Ill guess ill have to keep looking. Thanks for all the help

Shop around for the parts seperately. Finding a rig that has all of the things you need/want in one package is a long shot. Keep in mind that a rig is made up of 3 or 4 components that are bought seperately in the first place, the container, main, reserve and AAD. Factor in some choices involved in picking each one of those, and can see the odds of a complete used rig having everything you want/need is slim.

The container is usually the hard part, and as mentioned you can get a re-size on the harness for anywhere from $300 to $500. If you find one that will fit the canopies you want, and has the options you want, but with the wrong size harness, get the serial number from the seller and call the manufacturer for a quote on a re-size. You'll also need to be measured per that manufactuers order form, and have those measurements handy at the time of the call.

If you can find a good deal on a container with an odd sized harness, you might be able to buy it and have it resized, and still pay a reasonable price in the end. You might also see if the seller will knock off $100 or $200 to offset some of the price of re-size.

Canopies are all the same, a 210 Spectre is a 210 Spectre and the price is simply a matter of the age/condition of the canopy and lines. Ditto for the reserve, and a couple jumps is not a big deal.

AADs are likewise, just find a used (or new) one, and make sure your rigger says it's a good price before buying.

You can find out very easily if it will fit or not. Get the serial number of the rig from the seller.
Go to Mirage's website and find the "measurement" page. It will tell you what measurements need to be taken to get your size. Have those measurements taken (don't try to do it yourself, it won't work) and send those, along with the serial number of the rig into Mirage. They will tell you if it will fit or not, and how much a resize would cost.
It will save the cost of shipping it back and forth if the harness is way off sized.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo