airann

Clara Harris is found Guilty

Guilty of murder with a dangerous weapon.

Huh, as I did see some of her testimony and she was supported by the husbands family... I thought the verdict would have been somekind of lessor one.

Then again, she did do it and the film was compelling.

~AirAnn~

I think the verdict is dead on. From what I read and saw, her case was a lot more compelling than I originally thought, but you just don't run someone down, with their daughter in the car, while telling her that no one will convict. There are other ways to resolve your problems.

I'm not a big believer in the imprisonment-as-punishment thing as a rule. In this case, I think that the notoriety would have increased the number of other wronged women and men who felt it was OK to murder their philandering spouses, whether or not in the grip of overwhelming emotions.

Part of being an adult is being able to control your emotions to some degree, if you're not mentally ill.

I feel very sorry for her; she got a raw deal, but she was the one who made it a lot worse.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

i can't believe her council didn't use a temporary insanity theme in his defense strategy for his client.

but, "don't do the crime, if ya can't do the time"

funny thing is, she knew the cameras were rolling...go figure. this is the one thing that makes me think she just about has to be "whacko"
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

her case was a lot more compelling than I originally thought,

I totally agree. I originally thought she would surely have a quickie trial and go straight to jail. I was real suprised that the deceased family was on her side, for what ever reason. I think it was to keep the rest of the family together, even though. Or more likely its something we dont know.

but you just don't run someone down, with their daughter in the car,

Again 100% agreed. That is likely what sealed it was having the step daughter in the car and when the child screamed to Stop it is when she 'woke up'. Not to mention the trama involved to the mental status of the child.

the notoriety would have increased the number of other wronged women and men who felt it was OK to murder their philandering spouses, whether or not in the grip of overwhelming emotions.

Well, I agree again, but nobody else cut off their husbands penis due to that other case. Seems like her sentence was relatively short. But the guy isnt dead either.

I find law cases, real or fictional very interesting.
I love John Grisham. Of course all my life Perry Mason has been my favorite. Yet, it never turns out like that in real life. Oh well.

~AirAnn~

The raw deal wasn't from the courts. It was from being married to someone who seems to have been an asshole to her. She didn't have the cojones to leave, but that can be hard when you hang on to little shreds of hope and children.

But being married to an asshole doesn't mean you get to kill him.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I just heard on CNN that the jury could rule during sentencing that it was a crime of passion - she could just get probation!

I can see that happening, but I completely disagree it.
She intentionally killed her husband, not because she was in fear for herself or anything justified by the Law, she was just mad at him for cheating on her, that is not justifiable homoside, she should be sentenced like any other killer.