PLFKING

Honda vs. Suzuki ?

I've been considering getting another bike for a year or so, and finally decided to take the plunge -- I'm going to purchase in the next week or two (brand new). I have very specific wants....cruiser, not crotchrocket (did enough canyon-racing in my younger days), daily driver (must be dependable) not a brute (don't want a 1000 or 1300). After looking around for the last three weeks.....I'm really leaning towards a Honda A.C.E. 750 or a Suzuki Marauder 800.

I know a lot of you ride.....what is everyone's opinion on reliability between these two ? I'm not looking for which one is quicker off the line, or faster at top end....just looking at dependability, ease of service, ease on my ass (if I cruise down to Raeford on it) and cost of parts if i break something. I had a KZ900 in college, and a Honda 500 in the mid-80s....at that time, Hondas were VERY dependable. The consensus from my friends is that they still are, plus i like the Honda's styling a little better. Plus, my KZ could be temperamental at times.

Thoughts ?

Don

(ps....in reading back, I notice I'm using words like "dependable", "cost of parts", "ease of service", "reliability".....to describe a BIKE !! F*** ! When did I get old....and why didn't anyone tell me when it happened ???) :)

I do a great deal of riding and look at bikes constantly, in fact the bike show was just last weekend here in Chicago. Lots of toys. I currently have a Kaw 1500 Classic. Everyone has different opinions but you have to look at the kind of riding you do. The big bikes today are damn well balanced and only akward at slow speeds or when you are pushing them around in a parking lot. I'm only 5 foot 4 inches tall and after lowering my 1500 I have ZERO problems with it. 20K miles and no problems.
If you are going to do any real highway cruising you will appreciate larger bike. Much more stable, wind does not knock it around and the engine just feels more relaxed when cruising at 65-75 mph than a smaller bike.
If you want a bigger bike that still is real light, comfortable, nimble, quick try the Suzuki 1400 Intruder, its the best cruiser they make. I really dislike their 1500 Intruder. The only thing people have against the 1400 Intruder is the styling. It is more a chopper style, being the oldest Japanese cruiser design. I had an 800 Intruder and loved it. The 800 and 1400 Intruders are very reasonably priced. With a luggage rack you can strap a rig to it as well.
If you are going Honda, you only got 2 choices: the ACE or the VTX. I really like the VTX, but it is a $13K bike. If you go the ACE, pop the extra cash and go 1100 cc.
Kawasaki offers the 1600 classic at $10K and change and in my opinion is the best cruiser for the money. Lots of after market goodies. The Classic is also available in 800cc if you really want to go down in size.
Yamaha, go Roadstar at 1600cc, heavy bike but great and purty. they do an 1100 as well, wich is nice. If you go that route, stay away from the custom look as they are uncomfortable for long rides. The classic styles are much more comfortable.
HD???? Whole nother story. I love them, but overpriced for the features compared to the Jap cruisers. Indian and Victory do nothing for me, except the looks of the Indian are so cool.
Hope this helps.
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

Personally, I'd say go with a Honda. When I was looking for a cycle, the Honda fit better, was more comfortable, etc. And the bonus for my Honda - if you don't look at the emblem on it, you'd think it was a Harley. :)

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Can I ride your bike when you get it?

Sure thing, little one. First let me figure out how to drop the seat about 16 inches, k? :P

Don

With your size/length, I would really think of the ergonomics. Go to many different makers and sit as longer as you can on them. If you're not comfortable in the show room, your are going to hurt on the road.[:/]
I've been riding since I was 4yrs old. I only owned 1 bike that was comfortable.
I had to buy a Corbin seat to make it work out.
-Grant;)

I would big time go for the VFR. It is the finest all around bike available! I almost bought 1 last year but SDing got in the way! I have owned both and the Suzuki's are very buzy where the Honda's are smooth. I have owned a Honda 700 Night Hawk S, 750 Custom, Yamaha 1100, Suzuki GSX 1100. I would buy a Honda again before any of thr others and the VFR is THE BEST all around bike available for the last 10 years!:)

Since bikes r being discussed, I've got a quick question too. If you cant test ride em, how do you know its what you want?
the reason I ask is
I had a Honda250 duel purpose that was super top heavy-sold it a year later. Also had a over used Ninja650 for a minute but didn't keep it either.
I want another one but *shrug

No, cruiser says I look good going speeds less than 110.;) I am 23 and I ride a 2002 HD Fat Boy. I love it, and actually for 1450cc the center of balance is perfect. She weaves and carves turns like a champ with footboards sparkingB|.

I would lean towards the Honda, that was gonna be my bike before I got the HD. But that was mainly because I thought it was the only decent looking cruiser other than HD. My 2nd bike will be a Buell Firebolt.

Freefallfreak, nice nostalgia bike. What was the basis for that thing? My Dad has a 68 triumph...?Bonneville? I think.

--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

I have owned a number of bikes over the years.
Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda.

Go for Honda. Their build quality is just better, period.

I have a Honda 550 4k circa 1977 in the garage.
it has 100 000 km on the clock (65000 miles) and still runs like a watch. I bought it with 10 000 miles and have ridden it almost daily.

I also have a Honda VFR 750F. THAT is one sweet ass bike. There is nothing quite like it on the market and the build quality is superb.

So There you have it.
Go Honda and take a long hard look at the VFR:)

Freefallfreak, nice nostalgia bike. What was the basis for that thing? My Dad has a 68 triumph...?Bonneville? I think.

Lol...the basis was a cool ride. It started off as a 58 Triumph but like my Pro-Street rod, it's all custom right down to the chrome engine cases. All my friends ride HDs and they teased me unmercifully about it but they kept coming over to watch it go together, lol. Then, when we, as a group, ride they get all pissy cause at the redlights, I can burn 'em (it's really lightweight) and it gets some really cool looks from citizens, too, especially the ladies...tee-hee. Course I'm not known as a low-key kinda' guy, lol.

FFF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

If you cant test ride em, how do you know its what you want?

When I started looking at bikes again a couple years ago (before I bought the Kawi ZX12R I have now) Honda let me test ride the BlackBird and one of the other sportbikes a couple of times. Maybe the other makers wont let you, but Honda did.

My opinion is all the big makers are going to be pretty reliable and all, it get down to styling, fit, and personal preference.

JC

In my heavily biased opinion, neither.

I've never owned a Suzuki, since I was never impressed enough to pay for one, after riding friends bikes.

I owned a Honda, and had nothing but problems with the electrical system.

Since you want a cruiser, I suggest http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitinfo.asp?lid=2&lc=mcy&cid=4&mid=21

or, if you really want some style, try http://www.victory-usa.com/product/detail.asp?contentid=03VICVEGAS
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1