adamhildreth

Vector containers

Currently own a v 348, have had a sabre2 190 in it.. It's a tight fit though. Not sure I would do it again.
It's made for a 170 and will fit a 150 as well.

But really... My personal opinion is to get a container sized for the canopy You are planning on stuffing in it. Otherwise it's going to be a bitch to pack(especially if new)... Futhermore It won't look good...

What you try and cram into your main pack tray is up to you. You could possibly get that range of canopies in there if you are really keen and a strong packer, though it might not be recommended.

I have a V347, and I've had things between 129 and 170 in there. The 170 was frankly a bitch to pack.

But the most important consideration is what goes in the reserve container. If you are jumping a 190 main, then a smaller reserve (and that's likely, if you want that big a range of main sizes) is not a brilliant plan.

As the saying goes, do you really want your first jump on the smallest canopy you've ever flown, to be when you're high on adrenaline from a chop and probably lower than you've ever opened before?

Me either.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

The short answer is no. If you try this you will not be happy with the fit of either the 190 or the 150. And you will have to make unsuitable compromises on the reserve sizing. I understand why you might like to try this, but realistically you will need to go through two sets of gear in your progression through these sizes.

It also may happen that you will get to 170 or so and decide to stay there. I did, for 18 years now.

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Want some knowledge on this?

Canopies can vary in their pack volume by up to 10%, so if you have your reserve and your main on the high side of this variable, you're going to have a bear of a time getting your main closed. Also, the deployment bags for the reserve and main can vary in their material thickness and how much they add to the total volume of the pack job. Add in the differences of packing in different climates, if you're in a dry climate, packing can be a bit more difficult.

This isn't even touching the fact that your reserve when jammed in there tight is going to piss off your rigger. If you have a main total malfunction, it may very well take your reserve longer to extract as the two packjobs are crammed together. A tight main can also stretch and screw up the container over time.

Some canopies pack one size smaller. That could help you fit up to 3 or 4 different sizes canopies in the same container.

Optimum reserves pack about one size smaller than regular reserves if I'm not mistaken, and the same is true for at least 2 other brands.

I own a PD pulse main canopy, and it packs much smaller than a Storm of the same size.

I know other canopies from other brands also pack smaller, but I have no experience with them, maybe other people could tell you more.

Just make sure with your rigger that your container is not overly tight; that could cause problems.

Upt would know best, but my experiences were as follows....

When I started skydiving I bought a V348 and stuffed a 170 in it. I eventually had a stiletto 150, a crossfire 139, a cobalt 135, and then Velocity 120 in it (all using the same 170 d-bag). I never had any deployment issues. As I got smaller I had to reduce the length of the closing loop. If you buy something that is suited for a 190 you shouldn't have any issues downsizing to a 150.

Upt would know best, but my experiences were as follows....

When I started skydiving I bought a V348 and stuffed a 170 in it. I eventually had a stiletto 150, a crossfire 139, a cobalt 135, and then Velocity 120 in it (all using the same 170 d-bag). I never had any deployment issues. As I got smaller I had to reduce the length of the closing loop. If you buy something that is suited for a 190 you shouldn't have any issues downsizing to a 150.

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/CHART_00037___Rig_Sizing_Chart.pdf

Thinking about purchasing a Vector too...
Is "Full Fitting" (e.g: putting a 170 in a V348) a bitch to pack?

Cheers!
Shc

I've got a Pilot 168 in a V348, with a PDR 160. At first it was a bit of a bugger to get it in the bag, but I dont really notice it now - however the container does look pretty tight.

It'd be interesting to try and get something like a Pulse 190 in there to see how it compares to the bulky pilot.

Thinking about purchasing a Vector too...
Is "Full Fitting" (e.g: putting a 170 in a V348) a bitch to pack?

I have a Safire2 169 and an Optimum 176 in my V348 and it isn't difficult to pack at all, even when the canopy was brand new.

Also had a Sabre2 170 in there for a bit, again, no issues.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Vector told me directly the V350 will work for a 190-150. From their rigger's mouth. So that's what I have on order!
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

it may or may not matter to you but think about comfort - I am jumping a 306 with two canopies. The pilot 117 is the tight fit and the rig is very brickish and not super comfy. The other canopy is a Sensei 91 of the ZPX variety and is on the soft side but is super comfy. Something to think about.

i have a v306 (made for a 120) and i managed to get a 135 in there but it was a pain and im a very good packer. on the flip side it fits a 120 perfectly. it was to the point where there had to be no air left or it wouldnt fit. not really fun so i would recommend getting a properly sized container.
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"