TheRealOps7

Pursuit 230 canopy for a first rig?

I have an offer to purchase a Pursuit 230 canopy that had been used for demo work and CRW. The canopy is about 20 years old but according to a rigger *that I don't know* is in great shape for its age.

It's a 7 cell, 230sqft, packs into 549 cu. in.

I'm 6'0, 195lbs, completed AFF jumping a 9 cell, 260 sq ft canopy. I just completed AFF last weekend, I don't want to buy anything that is tricky to fly or has little issues.

What do you think? The guy has a price in mind and I want to know if I will die jumping a 7 cell... What's a decent price?

And yes, I'm headed to the DZ to ask my instructors... but my wife said I can't go today.

A Pursuit might be suitable as a first canopy for someone who enjoys PLF's and has no money to buy something better. It was intended as a CRW canopy... and most CRW jumpers today don't fly one. That should tell you something.

Keep looking. If you're on a tight budget, older Sabres, Silhouettes and Triathlons are great first canopies.

It was really a CRW canopy. There were some compermises in its flight caricteristics to make it a good crw canopy. You're not going to be wild about it's landings and its openings may be a bit... brisk. Don't get me wrong, they are a canopy. Every one jumped them back then. They were the shit for crw. But of all the older canopies it's not at the top of the list. Price? Cheap. If they give it to you it's some thing you can jump for now till you find some thing else. But a CRW prusute 230 and $4.95 will get you a happy meal at Mcdonalds.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Don't buy it. One of the more shameful aspects of our sport is the people who sell prehistoric junk gear to newbies who don't know any better. Just walk away, you don't even owe this lizard an explanation.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

If you get it for the price of shipping, you might be able to resell it for a small profit. This means that it has almost no value, except to old CRW jumpers with a strong sense of nostalgia. Just don't jump it yourself.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

That's a little harsh. I've got some jumps on a prusuit, I want to say that it was a 245? I'd love to have that canopy. I don't think that this is the best canopy for him but there is no need to dish it.

Lee

It may harsh but it’s the truth. Trying to sell a Pursuit of any size to a noob with 9 jumps should be criminal. There is a good reason they are no longer made and no one jumps the ones that are still around. At terminal they opening they can untie your shoes and they land like shit.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I want to know if I will die jumping a 7 cell.

It's not that it's a seven cell, btw. There are seven cell canopies (such as the Spectre, Triathlon, or Storm) that could be great choices. You've heard plenty of reasons why this one isn't.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

What do you think? The guy has a price in mind and I want to know if I will die jumping a 7 cell... What's a decent price?

Your reserve is a 7 cell...or a round. lol. For that canopy free would be over charging.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

That's a little harsh. I've got some jumps on a prusuit, I want to say that it was a 245? I'd love to have that canopy. I don't think that this is the best canopy for him but there is no need to dish it.

Lee

The Pursuit is a specialized canopy, intended for Canopy RW. Aside from the fact that it's outdated even for its specialized purpose, it is a canopy of choice, for those who have chosen CRW as their discipline. CRW canopies are not intended for general purpose skydiving and especially not for terminal openings.

If you have happy memories of a Pursuit canopy, then fine, I'm happy for you ! But your Pursuit wasn't your first canopy and I doubt it was your first square either. It's simply not an appropriate choice for today's newbie - and the LIZARD who's trying to make a quick buck selling one to a newbie damn well knows it.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !