Sky_doggy

Bridel Extension

How does your packing method relate to your bridle length?

Why are you thinking about extending your bridle?

It's recommended to get an extension if psycho packing. Do a search. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Hi,

I have been packing using the Psycho Pac method and I am thinking of getting a bridel extension. I was wondering how a rigger does this.

Also, what is the typical length that is added on ?

Thanks.

As with anything, different riggers may come up with different ways to accomplish this. The easiest IMO is to take a piece of an old bridle and cut off a foot or so section, sew loops on either end and larks head the extension on in between the existing bridle and canopy attachment point.

This way it's completely reverseable and accomplishes the goal. One could probably also use square weave, but I prefer to put old parts to work first and keep the cost/price lower.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Be careful with the extension length, especially if you let hired packers pack your rig sometimes. A packer once let the extension wrap a small piece of canopy fabric while putting it into the bag which cost me a few nice patches on the trailing edge. An extension is not really needed, just pull the bridle attachment out after you’ve rolled the canopy. I pack using a slight variation of the Wolmari method (with reverse S-folds) which I think is much better
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Hi,

I have been packing using the Psycho Pac method and I am thinking of getting a bridel extension. I was wondering how a rigger does this.

Also, what is the typical length that is added on ?

Thanks.

A typical length would be 1/2 bag width + 1 - 2", so 6-8" or so. Basically the distance from the side of the roll to the grommet.

The length of a bridle extension also varies by rig type. IMHO Vectors don't need extensions, and the completely enclosed kill line makes it ideal for psycho packing. On the other hand, a container system that once cocked requires the attachment point to be within a few inches of the d-bag grommet would benefit from an extension.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

When I used the PsycoPack on my old Monarch. I bought a Climbing "Dogbone" for the extension. They had them at our local REI. You can choose different lenghts. They were "climbing rated" to support different weights, so I felt it fine for my use. My rigger was fine with it.

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

I had one made by my rigger recently. I'm not sure of my terminology, but it was made out of webbing material like that of a bridle but narrower: about 1 cm (1/2 inch) wide (similar to the size of the material that provides the stop to my kill line).

They cut a longer piece and then formed loops at each end by folding the ends back and sewing them to the main body of the extension. One loop was bigger so that you could do a larks head attachment going over the D-bag. (the smaller looped end was attached first to the canopy). The larks heads make you lose almost an inch of length: I think mine was about 8 inches long uninstalled and adds about 6 inches installed.