516tatishikawa

GEAR SHOPS

hey guys! how goes? had a quick question, maybe somebody on the site can help me out. I'm looking for a gear shop in the NY area where I can go and check out gear. Internet is a great source of information, but I feel that I want to see the actual product, try stuff on, that kind of stuff. I'm willing to drive a bit, not too far :Danyone with any info that can help me out, would be greatly appreciated!! thanks so much and blue skies!!
www.taikorestuarant.com

Jump, pack, repeat.

Blue skies!!

That's really not how it works. As far as things you wear, gloves and helmets are about the only things you buy 'off the shelf'. Due to that, most gear stores will accept returns on these items if the sizing is not correct (provided you do not jump them).

Everything esle is going to be either custom fit, used, or not something you wear.

Jumpsuits, for example, are all built to order. You can buy used, but the fit is always the big question. Make sure a seller will take a 'return' if a used suit does not fit. Otherwise, order a new one, and it will fit for sure (or the mfg will make adjustments).

The same can be said about containers. There are some rig 'on the shelf', but the vast majority (like 99.9%) are built to order. The same 'return policy' applies to used containers as it does to used suits, but there's more to it because a used container also needs to pass a rigger inspection. Consult with your instructors and a rigger if you're going to buy used gear (you should buy used for your first rig).

Some canopies you can demo before you buy. Some mfgs will send you a demo to jump for a week or two for a modest fee. You'll need a container/reserve to be able to jump them, but at least you can do it. Another option is seeing if anyone at your home DZ jumps the model/size canopy you're interested in, and if they'll let you try it.

In the end, there are vey few brick and mortor gear stores, and most of them that do exist are located on DZs. 'Trying stuff on' is not a huge consideration in this industry.

That said, if you have questions about gear, post them up and you'll get some opinions. Do your research first, and keep each thread to one thing for clarity. For example, helmets- figure out if you think you want full face or open face, then narrow it down to a couple models. Post up your choices and why you made them, and see what everyone has to say.

Hey Dave, it is sort of how it works. Your correct in some things you say but wrong in others. Yes, most things are custom built but I have some stock rigs for new jumpers and even some used. I have helmets, jumpsuits and accessories for anyone to try on. As far as suits, we have the most popular brands to show styles and options, then they can decide and order their own custom. Then have a professional like myself to measure them. We also have demo canopies/rigs for people just off student status, of the most popular brands, styles and sizes. So, it is sort of how it works.;)

Kamuran "Sonic" Bayrasli
The Ranch PROshop
Buy Baby Buy!

Based on your profile, your home DZ is SDLI. I'm on Long Island and my home DZ is The Ranch. I'm new to this sport, started this year and got my A in July. From one noob to another, I can't say enough good things about The Ranch Pro Shop. Sonic and Donna are class acts. They have a real Pro Shop and are eager to spend the time with their customers. They took the time to answer all of my questions and got me setup with the right gear.

My harness/container is new and Sonic had me try on several of his rigs so that I could feel the differences between the options. He spent a few hours to go over these options, colors, etc.

The Ranch is about a 2.5 hour drive from central LI. Why not take a trip up there? As a student, I was on a load with a solo student from another DZ. Talk to the instructors and you may be able to get a few solos in.

If you get up there, check out the wrist wrap altimeter mount. I'll never go back to the Altimaster "O-ring".

Send me a PM if you'll be at SDLI during the boogie next weekend.

Blue skies
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

hey there!! thanks for the post!! i think i will be going up to the Ranch sometime next week.... Unfortunately, I won't be at the boogie this weekend, I will be away :( but will definitely add you and we'll definitely jump sometime soon~!! again, thanks for your help. blue skies!!

www.taikorestuarant.com

Jump, pack, repeat.

Blue skies!!

Hey guys!! I'm a member of the FDNY Bravest Skydiving Club. I'm sure you know my friend and club president Scott Specht. We're actually going to take a club trip to the Ranch at the end of the month!! what I really wanted to do is try on some helmets and gloves. I'm a n00b and I wanted to start grabbing some gear so... I may just see you before the end of the month~!! what's the DZ looking like on Monday? Maybe I'll take a trip up to the Ranch, say hello and cop a helmet..... thanks for your help, btw.... I'll definitely be in to see you guys!!:)

www.taikorestuarant.com

Jump, pack, repeat.

Blue skies!!