bodypilot90

Should the US Pull out of the UN?

The UN is only as strong as its cooperative members. We are singlehandedly robbing it of some of its power by our doing whatever the hell we want to. Then we say it's not as strong without us. Well, duh.

Wendy w.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It's interesting that the US government is telling us that the UN is becoming irrelevant over their inaction. The US media is being their mouthpeice, by repeating this ad-nauseum.

It's much more interesting to read the media from Canada and Europe, where the consensus is that the UN is playing exactly the role they were mandated to do in its creation - by avoiding unnecesary role

If the US were to pull out of the UN, it would only go to reinforce the notion of continued US unilateralism, and rapidly increase tensions between the US and the rest of the world. The rest of the world already has little trust for the US. Pulling out of the UN would be a very bad sign.

Repeat after me: Unilateralism is BAD. Say it again, alltogeather now: Unilatersalism is BAD.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The UN is only as strong as its cooperative members. We are singlehandedly robbing it of some of its power by our doing whatever the hell we want to. Then we say it's not as strong without us. Well, duh.

no the duh is the inability (unwillingness or otherwise) to enforce it's resolutions. Iraq is not abiding and never intended to. The UN and Iraq are putting the world at risk. The time for 2ed chances are over. I don't want war but just like WW2 it's time to act!

As to whether or not a worldwide political body is a good or a bad thing-I'm not sure. There are pro's and con's on each side of the aisle. From having grown up in NYC, what I do know for sure is that a lot of city inhabitants wish the entire building, with all its occupants, would just slide into the East River. It is an incredible monetary drain on an already cash-strapped city. Maybe it would help if the diplomats paid their parking fines once in a while.:)

Time for a dramatic change. All politicians should be replaced immediately. Lets get rid of the political families and make them actually work for a living. I mean other than getting Drunk every single day, what has Ted Kennedy done.. basically Ever? How can that guy ever get reelected.

Lets can the ayatollahs and the politburos, the parliament members and the diplomatic core. Lets get back to people governing people.

Has anyone watched Mr. Sterling, wouldn't it be nice to have a politician like that just once.
-----------
Ready, Set, Gooooooo

Why not? We pretty much do whatever the hell we want to anyway.

You're darn right, so with the US out of the UN, maybe things could get done the right way...

...by the way, it was great meeting you and Dillon and Andrea in Orlando.B|
how high can you fly with broken wings ...
life's a journey not a destination

dzcom.jpg

Ok, I can agree that there are definately some negative aspects of unilateralism, however....

The UN is not enforcing it's OWN resolutions. If they aren't going to enforce them, don't pass them. The UN is like a bad parent. They tell their child they will get a spanking if they are bad. Child is bad, but no spanking. Parent threatens again. Child is bad, but again, no spanking. After 12 years of this, the parent can't understand why the child (Iraq) is out of control and won't listen at all. If the parent is against spanking (France, Germany, Belgium, etc), they never should have threatened the spanking in the first place.

Yes, if the UN does nothing to enforce it's own rules, then it has become irrelevant.

Rock

Lets get rid of the political families and make them actually work for a living.

Ummm -- would that include the Bush family?

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

After 12 years of this, the parent can't understand why the child (Iraq)

...or Israel and many others who don't give a fuck about UN resolutions as a matter of fact.

At the end it just matters, who your friend is within the UN and then - nobody will give a shit if you follow the rules or not...

Keep the UN for the humanitarian stuff but screw the political bullshit, because it will never work.

Phil
how high can you fly with broken wings ...
life's a journey not a destination

Well if you Americans wonder what feeds the anti-americanism in Europe this is one of the reasons. The U.S. is not listening to the rest of the world, but tends to do whatever they want anyway.

Wether or not we (NATO+USA++) should go to war against Irak is a though decision, but I believe we at least should agree on it first, before one country takes actions on it's own.

It's sad to see how this question divides us. Both internal and external we turn against each other. Even skydivers turn against skydivers and almost starts fights on these forums. I hope we all can agree on one thing:

C-130's should not be used for war, but for skydiving!

oh....and I almost forgot: Boobies!!!! ;)

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Wether or not we (NATO+USA++) should go to war against Irak is a though decision, but I believe we at least should agree on it first, before one country takes actions on it's own.

ok let me ask you how long would you like to allow Iraq not to abide by the terms it agreed to after the gulf war. A. 12 years B. 20 years C. It doesn't matter because weapons of mass destruction are now illegal in Iraq? How long did the league of nations stand by and let Germany do what ever it wanted to?

I do think there should be a forum for international communication and opinion like the UN, of which the US should be a member of, but the idea that the UN should reign supreme over the US, um, No! The US has been more than patient with diplomacy. The idea that our sovereignty is some how robbing the UN of power ignores the UN's decision not to decide and not to enforce its resolutions. The UN is undermining its own power and continued relevance in the world and without it, some European countries won't have any opportunity to contribute to policy through resolutions before the US and its friends enforce them.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt