Southern_Man

Tracking number of jumps

Does your DZ have a system for tracking the number of jumps on its tandem and student/rental gear?

I am thinking there are a lot of items that are scheduled maintenance at X number of jumps and that sure would be simplified if it was being tracked. Do you just do all of this off of inspection?

I have never looked at the manifest software beyond a quick glance, so I don't know if they have or could have this tracking capability. I have not ever seen anybody inputting what rigs are going out to the plane on the TM's back. The other place I can think to track it would be from a packing log--if it got packed it was jumped.

Maintenance to the main does not typically get recorded on the packing data card, does it? Do you track in any way any maintenance done? New lines, sliders, patches, etc.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

We track ours through the pack jobs. We use jumprun and I have software that the packers use to enter the pack job of a specific rig. We can query it then and determine number of jumps for any period, who packed it last in case of a mal, etc.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Thanks, nice to know that jumprun has that kind of capability. Is there a public terminal that the packers use? Most places I have seen use a paper log for their packing, although I haven't asked everywhere.

Do you also enter repairs on the main into jumprun? Can you set up reminders in there--i.e. replace drogue kill line at X number of jumps?
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Thanks, nice to know that jumprun has that kind of capability. Is there a public terminal that the packers use? Most places I have seen use a paper log for their packing, although I haven't asked everywhere.

Do you also enter repairs on the main into jumprun? Can you set up reminders in there--i.e. replace drogue kill line at X number of jumps?

Yeah, i have a touch screen app they use. Jumprun doesn't have the capability to do any of the things you asked. I wrote stand alone software that ties into jumprun. We keep track of maintenance in a google doc that is shared to all the riggers.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I totally forgot about that, that is a good way to get accurate numbers.
-as long as they are turned on, which should be the case on our tandems and student rigs

Do you use these and track them with maintenance?
-yes

How often do you check the jump numbers?
-everytime I need/want/have to do paperwork (and reserve I+R's in my case)

Do you keep them in a spreadsheet or database?
-no, paper + pen works fine, + my Rigger logbook when needed and also gear documents

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

That's interesting about the Jumprun software. Where I am, they put up a computer by the packing area, with a google docs spreadsheet and a data entry form as the front end. So the software isn't integrated with anything but does capture pack jobs into an electronic format.