DivaSkyChick

anybody troubleshoot macs?

LOL that pic would have helped a lot had I seen it before my roommate got home last night! That little hole is behind a little layer of dust protection.

Anyway, got the disk out but my hard drive is dead or something.... oh the pain...:(

Cool... well we got that much accomplished :D

Oh, and for those of you arguing about leave it powered/not powered - it's an electric motor, you have to have it powered for that manual eject to work.

So.. uhh.. yeah, I see you're in AZ - make ya a deal, fly me out there and I'll see if I can recover any of your data B|
You can always try freezing the drive - depending on the problem, that's been known to get it going at least long enough to recover important files.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Okay, so cd is no longer stuck. I have a disk that lets the computer boot. The repair stuff on that disk can't repair the prob.

In the meantime, I'm TRYING to transfer my most needed files onto the server we have (who knew we had a server?) but my computer keeps crashing.

So, my hard drive is there, accessible in terms of being able to see everything. That's a good sign, right?

A short time ago, I updated my OS to 9.2.1. However, when I boot from that disk, it does not see my hard drive. I get a message about the disk being damaged - but I don't know it means the actual disk or my hard drive, since it does boot up.

I can only see my hard drive when I boot from the old 9.0 disk.

ideas, Mr. Hankey?

Thanks!

M

---
www.facebook.com/mandyhamptonfitch

Yeah. Your computer should be fine now. You can boot, see your hard drive, etc. Just freezing a lot.
No Norton I assume. Using the OS9 disk re-install the system software. During installation setup there will be an option to "clean install" or "install a clean system folder" - let me know if you can't find it. Select it. This will NOT mess with your other files which you have most likely backed up already, and will give you a like new OS but still have your work files. Once completed you can update to 9.?.? if you want. Installing the printer drivers, setting up the net connections, bla bla bla should all be done over. If you don't have/downloaded the software, you can find the extensions, control panels, etc. in an "old system folder" file on the HD.

If you had Norton or similar, you'd run it before doing this "clean install". But your problems are most likely software related, not hardware related.

If you've sucessfully backed up all your files you might consider low level formatting the HD with the disk tools before starting all this.

Macs rule
Howdy Hoooo!

Using the OS9 disk re-install the system software. During installation setup there will be an option to "clean install" or "install a clean system folder" Macs rule

Did that, didn't work. We have Norton but can't find it! Of course.

Macs do rule. I'm using a pc right now and I HATE it. Such a MESS. However, it is working and I'll take what i can get.

---
www.facebook.com/mandyhamptonfitch

If you find Norton, that would be great. Most likely fix disk related problem. Bad MDB can make life hell.

Didn't work means wouldn't run - or worked, made new system folder and still freezing?

Are all files backed up? If so, low level format should restore HD back to functional.

Don't give up.
Howdy Hoooo!