DivaSkyChick

anybody troubleshoot macs?

Thank you for making me laugh in the middle of my extreme frustration!!!!!:P

Anything to make a purty girl smile:D So was tour HD making weird noises prior to the blue screen?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

nope. sigh... got my mac mall in front of me... so much for a new canopy!

Have you tried the old faithful smack to the side? Some times you just have to convince them to listen:D;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Seriously, though, you might want to consider taking it to a repair shop or somebody who is knowledgeable about Macs. A shop will probably charge 30-50 dollars to look at it, and it might end up only costing you a new hard drive ($100-$200) to have a working computer again. A friend who knows a bit about computers might be able to do the same thing for only the cost of the drive.

Also, check to see if it's still under warranty. Probably not, but you never know.

Thanks Indyz. I'll definitely give that a try before I buy a new one. oooooh but have you seen the new ones? Mine is the old blueberry. I'm jonesing for the new G4 Powerbook... B|

Well maybe this is the justification you need for getting that new ancho...I mean G4 powerbook:D;):P
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Third time today - you're kidding me.

Oh wait, you're the guy who sent me the map of the United States to remind me that Arizona was in the left half of the country. ;)

Only becasue you didn't grasp the whole left coast thing;) did ya try the smack, bang, drop method yet? if it's broke, it's not like your gonna hurt it ya know:D
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

And if it's only injured???

Then it will know your serious and straighten itself up cause it knows your not afraid to kill it:D;)

I really don't think you have anything to loose at this point
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

You're kidding me, right? B| Punish me for a bunch of loser pc users?

Helpful, thoughtful postings are getting punished and scorned too much for my taste. See the "Night Jumps" thread in Skydiving Topics for an example. dropzone.com is getting too flammable for my taste.

Sorry about your computer.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

boot imac
after the chime, press Command-Option-O-F (hold it)
should get a white screen
type eject cd and hit return

That work?
That'll at least get your disk back. If those repair tools did nothing for you, you can probably just replace the drive and reload your OS. Get someone to see if they can salvage any data off the old drive.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

I've just been informed that holding the mouse button down as you boot should also do the trick. If not, there *is* an eject hole around there - is your imac CD drive a tray drive? Or a slot? (does a tray pop out that you set the cd on, or do you just put it in the slot like a car cd player?)

response to typing in eject - "cannot open the eject device"

no little thinging to stick a paperclip into... I'll try the mouse but I'm thinking the damn thing is stuck in there. It's the kind where you slide it in, no tray.

Thanks for trying, I really appreciate it!

Mandy

---
www.facebook.com/mandyhamptonfitch

:( I feel for you...
I have definitly learned the hard way-
"back-up" your files........

I have also lost expensive software (in cd player)
If your harddrive has crashed, they are not that expensive and easy to replace. Once replaced your cd player should eject like normal???

My harddrives usually last about 2 yrs.-
The only fortunate thing about purchasing extended warranties is: my 40gb crashed awhile back and within 2 days Gateway sent to my door a replacement (80gb, maybe bigger hd last longer??).......
Old harddrive was not grinding/clicking-making any unusual noise..but crashed after power outage. Before replacing my new harddrive checked my surge protector to find I had a lifetime product warranty worth $25,000 on connected equipment...

bla bla- good luck Mandy!

Smiles;)

response to typing in eject - "cannot open the eject device"

no little thinging to stick a paperclip into... I'll try the mouse but I'm thinking the damn thing is stuck in there. It's the kind where you slide it in, no tray.

Thanks for trying, I really appreciate it!

Mandy

Did you type "eject" or "eject cd" ?

Look at the attached picture (stolen from apple's kb) - look familiar?

imac.gif

There's probably nothing wrong with your physical hard drive. This is most likely a problem you can fix yourself. Try these things and start a new post if you have questions. Don't let these PC users who know nothing about macs, and appear to dislike anything they can't understand- get you frustrated. I have worked with macs for 10+ years and have never had to send one in for data recovery.

If CD is still stuck:
Boot Mac holding c key down. After booting go to apple menu - control panels - startup disk. Make sure your HD is selected as startup volume - close. When back to the desktop...select startup icon of cd - go to special menu - eject disk. If it will work (depends on OS version), it will tell you you have to restart immediately. Do so and grab CD while she is out. Problem may fix itself, or we will be closer to helping your HD get back into healthy shape.

If CD is NOT still stuck:
Start a new post - I'll respond then.

Do you have/can you get Norton Utilities on CD? Disk first aid has never fixed anything for me in my experience.
Howdy Hoooo!