pnuwin

PD Pulse - New lineset specs - better flight and flare

Apparently there is a lineset upgrade available now for the PD Pulse 190 and larger. It's supposed to improve flight characteristics and flare. Does anyone have first hand experience of this lineset? How well does it fly?

What did they actually change on the lineset? Did they just trim it steeper to improve the flare?

If anyone knows about this I would be interested to hear details. PD confirmed its existence but didn't say much more.

Apparently there is a lineset upgrade available now for the PD Pulse 190 and larger. It's supposed to improve flight characteristics and flare. Does anyone have first hand experience of this lineset? How well does it fly?

What did they actually change on the lineset? Did they just trim it steeper to improve the flare?

If anyone knows about this I would be interested to hear details. PD confirmed its existence but didn't say much more.

Looks like the lineset is shorter by a bit - assuming I'm reading this correctly. Whether it makes it steeper or not is beyond my comprehension...

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/linetrims/PL-190-260-Line_Trim_Chart.pdf

Likewise, the steering lines clearly deflect a greater percentage of the tail when pulled.

I'm quite new to sport of skydiving but I can comment on my experience with standard line length.

A few months back I purchased a 2009 Pulse (210) that only had seven jumps on it. I mean it was pristine!!! I have it in a 2009 Wings container (190) and I am 6'2" and weigh 195lbs. I purchased the rig right after I got my A-license.

My DZO checked out my rig and I started jumping it. In my experience I could hardly get any flare at all and was only able to stand the landings if I had some wind to land into. To put this in perspective I stood up 23 of my first 25 landings throughout training. In fact one jump on a no wind day I pounded into the pea gravel at my DZ. I was picking gravel out of container I hit so hard.

I then let other experienced skydivers give it a try and they came away saying that my lines were definitely too long. They were wrapping the toggles and thus not pounding it in like this rookie.

The DZO measured each line for me and confirmed they were exactly the factory specs...and then we shortened the brake lines 7-8 inches. Since then I have easily stood up every landing again.

So I know I shared a big story, but in my opinion and experience Pulse very much needed to shorten their lines. I love it now. At 6'2" my arms are anything but short.

The only complaint I have about the parachute is it is nearly impossible to fly with the front risers. Everything else...opening, flight, packing is very satisfying.

I was the first Pulse owner to have this 'upgrade' done. I can say that it greatly improves the flare compared to the original trim. I did notice however that the in flight glide is diminished somewhat. Not anything to be concerned about though. My pulse is a 210. The new line trim definately improves this canopy.

I load my Pulse 170 at about 1.4 and have to agree with the PD conclusions. My brother who also flies a pulse (190) and I have been discussing this all year. We will get his modified and see what difference there is.

I sure would have liked this for my 170 though.

I am brother to BIP . I have had a year of abuse from him about my no wind landings on my 190. My jump suit is nealy worn out from washing it so often .
I even upsized from 170ZP to 190 Pulse and now they tell me there no brakes . PD should be giving us new line sets ;)

I have a Pulse 190 and have had some fast landings especially in no wind but have recently been having pretty soft landings (this is my first rig and i have done a lot better since Flight - 1 course). My wing loading is pretty light (just over 1.1) and from what i heard this mod really applies to more heavily wing loaded canopies. Im curious though, why is this mod only for canopy sizes 190 and above? And does anyone know if there is a wing loading threshold as well? Thanks

Edit: Parkair what is your wing loading?

Bip

My brother who also flies a pulse (190) and I have been discussing this all year. We will get his modified and see what difference there is.

I'm going to bump this thread since it's been while. Did Elliot get his new line set and did it make a difference? I have an older Pulse with the original line set. No-wind landings are difficult to say the least. Anyone know if it's possible to just do the brake line modification without putting on a new line set ( which I don't need yet )? My rigger will be calling PD for their opinion, but just wondering if it's been done.
Alton

"Luck favors the prepared."

I'll answer my own question from the last post. According to PD, you cannot have the brake/steering line attachment points moved towards the center ( from 1-2-3-5 to 1-2-4-6 ) which would improve the flare without a complete line set replacement. Bummer since the canopy is still fairly fresh.

So, from others who have have jumped both the old and new line set on the same canopy, is it worth the $$. Thanks.
Alton

"Luck favors the prepared."