mtalbot03

Viso 2 or altitron?

Viso 2(http://www.chutingstar.com/newgear_en/viso-ii.html) or Parasport Italia Altitron(http://www.chutingstar.com/newgear_en/altitron-digital-altimeter.html).

This is going to be my first altimeter and I definitely want a digital one. I'm not going to be swooping or anything yet, and I plan on getting a separate audible down the road. I like how big the display is on the altitron and I like the fact that I can keep a fresh AAA battery in my pocket in case the battery runs out. I just don't see that altimeter getting a lot of hype. Any suggestions or things I should know? Thanks.

If you want bigger digits than the Viso, you should consider the Neptune.

I didn't like the 3rd digit shown in freefall on the Viso - not necessary at all.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Although I have never used an altitron I would still point out how good a Viso 2 is.

Although it is not the most obvious unit to use for all its functions I turn up at the DZ, hold down a button and it switches on. Simple as that. I have used it all year and the battery is still showing full charge.

L&B (makers of the viso) customer service is excellent. Your unit will basically have lifetime warranty even if you end up smashing it by accident yourself. Pop a damaged or broken one in the post to them and a brand new one will be with you in a week or so. (Recently my Optima speaker broke, got a brand new Optima 2 to replace it!)

I have had a Neptune in the past, slightly bigger display but the screen broke after about 20 jumps and Alti2 wanted to charge me about $100 to replace it.

When I was looking I spoke to a couple of altitron owners and they hated them.

The Viso is nice BUT be careful as a newbie. A few weeks ago I noticed during takeoff that I had switched my viso to speed mode, end result was no useable alti. It took a while with the manual to put it back into normal mode.

I think this is an unspoken danger with digital altimeters, you can end up in metric or some other mode without realising it. Many years ago I dumped at 1000ft because I switched from an alti in meters to feet.. it was pre aad days and I was jumping a C9 so it was 'just' a low pull. I probably had 60 jumps at the time. My situation was an analog alti, but it could easily trip you up.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I switched from an alti in meters to feet.. it was pre aad days and I was jumping a C9 so it was 'just' a low pull. I probably had 60 jumps at the time. My situation was an analog alti, but it could easily trip you up.

Didn't the analog alti have the yellow and red warning bands?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I switched from an alti in meters to feet.. it was pre aad days and I was jumping a C9 so it was 'just' a low pull. I probably had 60 jumps at the time. My situation was an analog alti, but it could easily trip you up.

Didn't the analog alti have the yellow and red warning bands?

Yes red only though, but I brain locked. I still think the red is what saved my life as I can pretty clearly remember the terror when it 'clicked' that I was deep in the red. It was chest mounted on top of a belly reserve and I watched the alti through deployment. End result was a face full of altimeter resulting in lots of blood.

Before it clicked I was just waiting for 1 on the dial. It's still one of the things I don't like about digital altimeters is the lack of in your face danger zone indication. The red zone serves a useful purpose.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I have no experience with the Viso, but someone asked about the Altron a while back. I'm reposting my response for you here:

I also prefer a digital altimeter, so when I had to replace my aging Digitude I purchased an Altitron this spring. Based on my experience I would NOT recommend this product. Specifically:

1. The ONLY thing I want an altimeter for is to accurately display how high above the ground I am – I don’t care about data logging features. But as the Altitron has these I decided to look at the data it was capturing, just out of curiosity. Guess what? The data is out to lunch, typically recording values such as: exit: 16,987 feet, average speed: 297 MPH, top speed: 157, pull altitude: 66 feet. As the data on the main display seems OK in the air, I suspect the data logging errors are a result of not averaging out transient data spikes. I tried another unit, same deal, and my gear store folks spoke to the Altitron USA rep: the answer: “We’ve never heard of that.” No follow up. Makes me wonder: if the manufacturer missed this little issue what else did they miss??

2. When riding to altitude, the Altitron is plus or minus 80 feet to my ditter chimes that go of at 1,000 feet AGL. The Digitude, by comparison, was almost exactly in sync with my ditter, on every jump. Also makes me wonder.

3. But here’s the big one: although the Altitron’s display has larger numbers than a Digitude, it has less contrast, so it’s actually harder to read in freefall!

In summary, I do not recommend you purchase one of these.

www.wci.nyc

I have no experience with the Viso, but someone asked about the Altron a while back. I'm reposting my response for you here:

I also prefer a digital altimeter, so when I had to replace my aging Digitude I purchased an Altitron this spring. Based on my experience I would NOT recommend this product. Specifically:

1. The ONLY thing I want an altimeter for is to accurately display how high above the ground I am – I don’t care about data logging features. But as the Altitron has these I decided to look at the data it was capturing, just out of curiosity. Guess what? The data is out to lunch, typically recording values such as: exit: 16,987 feet, average speed: 297 MPH, top speed: 157, pull altitude: 66 feet. As the data on the main display seems OK in the air, I suspect the data logging errors are a result of not averaging out transient data spikes. I tried another unit, same deal, and my gear store folks spoke to the Altitron USA rep: the answer: “We’ve never heard of that.” No follow up. Makes me wonder: if the manufacturer missed this little issue what else did they miss??

2. When riding to altitude, the Altitron is plus or minus 80 feet to my ditter chimes that go of at 1,000 feet AGL. The Digitude, by comparison, was almost exactly in sync with my ditter, on every jump. Also makes me wonder.

3. But here’s the big one: although the Altitron’s display has larger numbers than a Digitude, it has less contrast, so it’s actually harder to read in freefall!

In summary, I do not recommend you purchase one of these.

I jump an Altitron so let me give you my insight.... I can read it in freefall just fine. I have never had an issue seeing the numbers. Different units are going to read altitude differently. I jump two audibles... a pro track and an optima which are always a bit off from one another. I find that during take off if I just wake the Altitron up with one push of a button it is pretty dead on with my audibles. I never use the logging features on the Altitron but bc of a post above I checked it out. It syncs up with what my protrack tells me so no issue there. In summation.... I like my Altitron a lot but I also like the L & B products. The biggest thing for me is the battery situation..... it has been a pain many times for me to stock up on batteries for my optima but never an issue with the Altitron. just my $.02
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com