jonathan.newman

Broken A-line on Icarus 330

I mentioned this in another thread, but think it's worth its own thread.

We had two Icarus 330 (bought new about April this year) that both broke a center A-line just where the cascade fingertrap ends. It looked the the cascade was property trimmed and not hot-knifed.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen similar. I estimate 400-600 on the canopy and line-set.

We had two Icarus 330 (bought new about April this year) that both broke a center A-line just where the cascade fingertrap ends. It looked the the cascade was property trimmed and not hot-knifed.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen similar. I estimate 400-600 on the canopy and line-set.

Talk to MEL (masterrigger1 on here). He can probably help you out.

Which way is your slider on? I was having pretty rough openings on mine and turns out the slider was on wrong. My canopy opens MUCH better now (Like a SET with a slow opening).
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Being that they were the newest canopies on the rack, they were usually grabbed first, so they could be at 600 jumps :S

As for the weight range, until the first line broke, we would normally take anyone up to the weight limit of the harness. After the line broke, we got more conservative and started putting the bigguns on the 365s or the 400 with the big drogue.

Haven't had a line break since.

What's your indication/criteria for needing a new line set?

Two broken A-B lines just below the cascade point resulted in the only tandem malfunction I've had in over 2500 tandems. I have had as many as three broken suspension lines, but with the center four gone, the canopy tends to fold up.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

The center A lines take a lot of abuse during the opening sequence. If memory serves, I don't think I've ever seen broken lines on a tandem that were not center A lines. I seem to remember seeing some kind of problem with a worn out brake line once but I don't think it actually broke.

Being that they were the newest canopies on the rack, they were usually grabbed first, so they could be at 600 jumps :S

Same thing happening here, one of the rigs has a collapsible slider so it is favoured by the TMs. An interesting solution we riggers came up with is to check the total number of jumps on the AAD to determine how many jumps have been done on each set of equipment.

-Michael