TheMarshMan1

Black Hawk Down (movie)...

The movie left me speechless along withthe rest of the crowd last night. High intensive explosions, grapfic as anything I've ever seen (Movies or real life), and it showed just how willing some people are willing to go to proctect others.
I can't reccommend the movie enough. Everyone should leave with a new respect for a lot of things at the end of it.
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

the movie was so well made.. it seemed almost like real time. i'm gonna steal jimbo's word- intense. edge of the seat the entire time and yes it was graphic. they didn't skimp on anything. but painted a clear picture. haven't seen one like that since Glory.
Stacy
http://users.snip.net/~stacy

I agree. Great movie. Read the book about a year ago and the movie did the book justice. Very intense.
The part where everyone is making preparations for the operation and 'getting their minds right' mirrors what I see and do before a particularly intense SWAT operation. (certainly not to say Ive ever experienced ANYTHING that intense).
Go see it!
JC

the real life Danny McKnight is an old friend of the family

He's probably heard this before and probably will get more now that the movie's out.. but after reading that book and learning about what those guys went through, please if you talk to him tell him someone he doesn't even know says thank you.
pull and flare,
lisa
--

Andrea,
I would be interested in what COL McKnight is doing now. I arrived at 3rd Ranger Battalion (the unit depicted in the movie) about 12 months after the events in Mogadishu and COL McKnight had already changed command. I know General Garrison sort of took the fall for the results of the mission - testifying before Congress, etc., he was not promoted. I heard that COL McKnight was promoted to O-6 (full Colonel) but was not selected for Brigade Command and was sent by the Army to serve as the Inspector General for the Virginia State National Guard. Do you know if that's true or if he is still living in Virginia, retired, or still on active duty?

I would recomend it...but the book to me was much more graphic(maybe I have an intense imagination)....what was tough though...was that the 3 rows in front of me in the theatre had VIP seating of the rangers that starred in the fast rope parts of the movie..and also had about 10 of the rangers that were actualy in the convoy...at the end where they listed the dead, one guy stood up and said he was about one bullet away from that list....
it is very humbling to see these towering soldiers walk out and cry.......
amazing movie...and humbling....
marc
"...a mind stretched with new idea's will never regain its shape"

I have heard that the movie is rather racist............ a modern day Zulu that portrays the Non-US as spear chucking savages with no personalisation of idividuals............... but hey thats American films for you........bias......... what was the film last year where the Americans re-wrote some of the history of WWII???........ ;op
bsbd
"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

Actually, at the end of the movie why did they only show the americans names who died? Over 1000 Somalis were killed (fighting in their OWN country). Were they all evil war-lords the way Hollywood would have us believe? How convenient....
Will
PS how come nobody thought of intervening when the genocide in Rwanda kicked off? No oil there I suppose....

PS how come nobody thought of intervening when the genocide in Rwanda kicked off? No oil there I suppose....

OH OH I've got one too!
How about when the Taliban took over YEARS ago and denied the most basic human rights to a good section of the citizen of Afganistan?
OH OH I've got another one again!
I come no ones still doesnt care about whats happening in Algeria where women, journalists, doctors, teachers are butchered?
Remi
Muff 914

Gee, Remi, you are so stupid, the reason why nobody cares, is because teachers getting butchered in Algeria doesn't increase the price of gas in a 3-litre American corvette by 5c/gallon. Its those silly Algerians own fault for being persecuted in a country that is of no use to America....
Remi, you obviously know nothing about world politics and history - I'd suggest you spend more time at your local cinema (don't waste your time with newspapers and books). ;)
Will

Remi, you obviously know nothing about world politics and history - I'd suggest you spend more time at your local cinema (don't waste your time with newspapers and books).

Good point. You can also see plenty of movies outlining the imperial inhumanities of the British and the occasional film about white South African subjugation of the locals.
What do I know. We were just a colony. :)Justin

3fLiEr
Not trying to kick anything up here but that movies was U-571, I know a lot of people over in the UK boycotted it.
The reason being that the film gives credit to the Americans for recovering a German Enigma machine for decoding orders sent to their submarines. This was something that the British had actually accomplished and should be given credit for. The United States did not recover an Enigma machine till near the end of the war.
Nick

"You can also see plenty of movies outlining the imperial inhumanities of the British and the occasional film about white South African subjugation of the locals."
made in such a way to show the acts in their true light................. not to show how the perpetrators are heroic………………….
;op
bsbd
"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

Not enough tits?
I am yet to find a movie that shows enough PENISES for my liking...
Oh yeh...but plenty of *dicks*, I guess you could say....
Anyway..what was wrong with 'Zulu'? Bloody marvellous if you ask me, we showed those darkies a thing or two, what?