Joe2003

Electra - really low exit weight?!

Hey

I currently jumping a PD silehoutte 170. I have 240 jumps on it and wanted to downsize to a 150. I have the option of an Electra 150 locally but had some questions.

Why is the max weight on it so low?!! It looks like its set at a wingloading of 1.0.. Is a wl of 1.25-1.3 just going to pop the cells?

Hey

I currently jumping a PD silehoutte 170. I have 240 jumps on it and wanted to downsize to a 150. I have the option of a 150 locally but had some questions.

Why is the max weight on it so low?!! It looks like its set at a wingloading of 1.0.. Is a wl of 1.25-1.3 just going to pop the cells?

Because that is the weight PD feels is safe for that canopy. But if you own it you can load it any way you want. What's the worst that can happen.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The placarded weight limits on Main canopies are guidelines and legal disclaimers but on the Silhouettes I remember that the canopies got very, VERY twitchy at higher wing loadings. At loads below a certain point, they behaved in a docile fashion. A move to a 150 from a 170, assuming a current jumper and nominal canopy skills should not pose a problem but if you are near the wing loading line that crosses into "twitchy" territory, you may not like it.

Just re-read my original post. I was talking about an Electra 150, not the SIL. My mistake, poorly worded :-)

I have jumped a 150 SIL and was happy with it, but the Electra 150 has a MAX exit weight of 70KG. I know this is out of my weight limits (most people over 6ft too) it was more of me just enquiring as to why an intermediate eliptical canopy has a MAW of 70kg, just seems significantly lower than any other canopy,

You received a good answer in the second post.
You received a better answer from Sparky.

Perhaps if you'll tell us what answer you want, this will go faster.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I've jumped the PdF Merit 150 (I believe that was the predecessor of Electra) at 1.35 loading and it was a really fun canopy to fly. It was also quite twitchy at that loading, at least compared to similarly loaded Sabre, Sabre2 and Hornet.

It reacted easily to harness inputs and had fast turn ratio, but started to lack a little on the bottom end of the flare compared to Sabre2. I know people who have jumped Electras with a higher wingloading so maybe it handles the loading better.

Don't you have a chance to test jump it?

I do, and I have jumped lots of other canopies in that size range, just nothing with a exit weight so low. Think I'm gonna stick to the manufactures recommendations and stay away

Best answer of all. ;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I do, and I have jumped lots of other canopies in that size range, just nothing with a exit weight so low. Think I'm gonna stick to the manufactures recommendations and stay away

Best answer of all. ;)

Sparky
That's no fun! A couple months ago, I got to borrow an Excalibur 150 (label max exit weight 184lb, my exit weight 230lb) and put a jump on it. Yeah, it opened in a stall, but once it inflated it flew great! It just didn't flare past my shoulders. Instead, it violently stalled. But I did have a soft landing under my Raven!
That's one side of the overloaded canopy option ...

On the other side, PD says that any Sabre2 I jump smaller than a 150 is overloaded, and the 135 and 120 happen to fly quite well at my exit weight.
Brian