mike_sketo

Aerotech Apache 150 - Experiences ?

Hi,

The Apache is a newer canopy to the market and is built in DeLand, FL by Terry Pike (Owner at AeroTech Rigging). We have a few here in Sebastian and everyone that's flown them here likes them.
They are very well built and a solid design. The Apache has very similar flight characteristics to the Sabre 2. There aren't many on the market yet but in my opinion, it is a very high quality canopy. Terry has been building high-quality skydiving gear for well over 25 years. This is his first canopy line.

My take on off-brand canopies is simple: There are some really good models out there. If you're going to own the canopy for its life cycle, you can save $ on these and enjoy thousands of jumps with them.
If you're only going to own it for a few hundred jumps, it may cost you though. This is because it will not be as easy to sell and will go for less $ when you do.

I hope this helps,

Dave Starr
Full Flight Sports dot com

I have an Apache 150 and I love it! It opens and flies like a dream. Very fun and snappy precise turns with a very nice smooth toggle feel. Glides quite flat so long spots are not a problem. Landings are fun and very controllable. Great flare similar to a sabre 2. It actually flies more like a stilleto than a sabre 2 but don't let that alarm you. Openings are very similar to a Safire 2. I CANNOT get this canopy to twist up. The most I've gotten is about 1/2 twist and then it flies itself out of the twist. I have about 150 jumps on mine including about 25 wingsuit jumps. IMO you can't go wrong with an Apache. You can fly it tame or you can do some really aggressive flying and it does both equally well. I'm even learning the basics of swooping on it. It has a short recovery arc and is very forgiving. Also slow flight in deep brakes is VERY stable unlike my pilots.

Terry Pike is an amazing guy and will take care of you even with a used canopy. The first one I got was used and he was more than happy to spend about 1 1/2 hrs on the phone answering about 150 silly questions from me. He also gave me a hell of a deal on a new one with custom colors and I had it in my hands 2 weeks from when I ordered it.

In short
BUY IT!
"If I can't be my own, I'll feel better dead." Layne Staley

I have an Apache 150, with over 250 jumps. With over 50 wingsuite jumps on it as well. It is a wonderful canopy. I have never had to cutaway from it. it has very nice openings, and perfect flare. The glide of the Apache has gotten me back from very long spots, where the rest of the load had to land off DZ. I have also jumped the 170, 135,& 120. All have been just just and fun as my 150.

Thanks Mike. WE have actually been building canopies for the last 10 years for various customers. We are really excited about the line of Aero Tech canopies. They range from military, student, intermediate, and the higher performance models. We are now putting test jumps on our reserve canopy, and it's performance will really suprise folks in the industry. I have been told we are the best kept secret in Deland. Our new website will be up soon. flyaerotech.com Please feel free to check out one of our demo canopies.

On 8/20/2012 at 4:03 AM, mike_sketo said:

Hey everyone , i m thinking to buy a used rig that comes with an Apache 150 made by Aerotech . i couldnt find any online information for this specific canopy so i would like some info from jumpers that have experiences on Apache .
Thank you in advance

I have a Apache 170.... only put about 20 jumps on it.. still figuring it out. Openings are nice... I am 205 and you definitely need to make a moderately aggressive turn upon landing to get speed up for a decent flare.  Turns quickly . All and all... not bad for the price