Vallerina

Back Problems

I've noticed so much back pain within the past 9 months or so, and I just wondered if anyone else out there has had anything similar. The pain varies from directly on my spine, to my shoulders, and to these shooting pangs up along the sides of my spine. Sometimes it's my upper back, sometimes it's my lower back. I don't know if I'm supposed to see a doctor or go to a chiropractor, if I even choose to go to one at all. I'm also thinking that it might hurt due to my poor posture, so has anyone tried any back braces or anything like that?

Basically, any info on back problems would be great! It's really starting to get to me!
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

This may sound crazy but it's all about the abs. Ok, maybe not all, but the tougher your abs get the less you back will hurt, generally speaking. When the abs are nice and toned they actually help keep your back in line. Actually they help keep everythng balanced. That's a rough explanation, but it hits the high points I think:)

Truman Sparks for President

I had some nice back pain last year. Felt like someone was shoving an icepick under my shoulderblades. Got talked into going to a chiropractor 6 or so times, good as new !!

And I was inder the impression that they were all "quacks".

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

quickly show us your boobies!!

No...not my fault you missed Mardi Gras! :D

Ok, maybe not all, but the tougher your abs get the less you back will hurt, generally speaking.

Hmm....actually, that might make some sense. I try to do enough ab work, but maybe I'm not. I've done alot of back/shoulder exercises with machines and stuff, but I don't concentrate as much on my stomach. Maybe I'll start trying more crunches or something.

Ditto on the chiropractor. When I messed my back up about 9 years ago, I tried physio and drugs. Only getting theraputic massage and seeing my chiropractor helped at all. That and excercise for my abs. I know when I've been slacking on my crunchies and stretching cause my back starts to hurt.:P

See someone about it though. As I understand it, (from having been there done that) small back pains can easily become big back pains when not looked after.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

I have to go with that, too. Neck rolls combined with sit-ups get rid of back pain very shortly for me. Doing them on a regular basis keeps it away.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

the ab exercises will make a HUGE difference. i used to do a lot of stomach strength stuff and my back was OK...lately i have been slacking and having tons of back pain. i know it is because i've lost stomach muscle...time for me to get back in the gym too!!!

Hi Valerie - sorry about your back - it sounds painful! I would recommend seeing a massage therapist first. Your back pain may be from chronic muscle tension, or as you stated, maybe from poor posture. The massage therapist might recommend a chiropractor if they think it might be an alignment issue. That would be my first course of action before seeing a doctor.
To find a reputable therapist in your area check out this website for the American Massage Therapy Association. Look for someone with experience in deep tissue, myofascial release, and injuries instead of someone with a lot spa type experience.
http://www.amtamassage.org/findamassage/locator.htm
I am a massage therapist in Oregon. PM me if you have any questions.
Hope you feel better soon!
--Jennifer

before i even suggests this, i know your going to think i'm crazy. :S i had a pinched cyanic nerve that produced many of the symptoms you describe. i went for x-rays, and mri's and other tests to confirm the original diagnosis. i went to a chiropractor for two solid years, i was in a great deal of pain every day, i was literally dragging my right leg at times because of the stinging, burning sensation. at the time i had a vietamese (sp?) personal trainer for my gym workouts, he suggested to me for months that i seek out an acupuncturist, which he knew one (go figure, his name is Master Tim Kai-Lai) i had the x-ray results in a concealed brown letter envelope, which he had never seen. after a few questions, and touching and poking me here and there his diagnosis matched the radialogists, i freaked out. to make a long story short, he said he could help, if not cure my pain in no more than 7 visits, it took 2.

--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Find a REAL chiropractor...

The ones that don't guess.. They run an analyzer down your back that detects muscle heat and tension.. You get a print out of problem areas and when they do work you immediately feel results.

My wife "6 months pregnant" was having severe back pain. She went in and these people target specific vertibre. Her back pain has subsided. Not only did they do the adjustment she gets a really cool massage before hand to loosen her back muscles.

I was skeptical at first but man has it done her allot of good..

Rhino

has anyone tried any back braces

If you aren't doing any heavy lifting or if you haven't been told by a doctor to wear one - don't use a back brace! Wearing one often will weaken your back and ab muscles.

Some things that work for me to relieve back pain include heating pads, Aleve and stretching.

How old is the bed you're sleeping on?

How old is the bed you're sleeping on?

Hmm...I really don't know....I can't remember the last time a mattress was actually purchased in my house, so maybe it is time to buy a new one.

don't use a back brace!

My reasoning for wanting one: I can sit straight for awhile at work. An hour or two goes by where (yes, not right now, of course) I'm concentrating on work and not on my spine. I end up slouching and hunching over my keyboard. I figured a back brace would help correct that.

include heating pads, Aleve and stretching.

The heating pad sounds good!

Thanks for all the great info everyone. I guess my concerns with going to a chiropractor is finding a good one. I've heard stories of people going to them for like 10 years and never feeling better. That's alot of time and money spent. I guess I can ask around for recommendations, but I don't know that many people that see one.

I'll probably try the "therapeutic" massage thing, and see what happens from there. I'm just sick of my back hurting and really sick of any little thing (hard opening, uncomfortable hotel bed, etc) really hurting it.

Hmm...I really don't know....I can't remember the last time a mattress was actually purchased in my house, so maybe it is time to buy a new one.

If you can't remember the last time you bought a mattress, I would say you need to look into that. Changing mattresses worked for me when I was having problems a few months ago.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

If you can't remember the last time you bought a mattress, I would say you need to look into that.

Well, I was out of my house for 4 years at school, so I'm not sure if my parents bought new mattresses in that time or not. But, it is something that I should definitely look into.

And, I forgot to reply to Richard, my back is definitely not that bad! It's more of an annoyance, I guess. It doesn't hinder me too much, but it would be nice to not almost always feeling some sort of discomfort back there.

but it would be nice to not almost always feeling some sort of discomfort back there.

i know how you feel. hope you alleviate the situation soon, having a constant nagging pain is an ugly cross to bear. good luck, take care.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

going to the gym 2 - 3 times a week and work your back muscles can make a big difference. Changing your bed could also be an other issue.

The work will have to be done by yourself in the long run. The doc can only release the pain but not the syndrom

good luck

Phil
how high can you fly with broken wings ...
life's a journey not a destination

before i even suggests this, i know your going to think i'm crazy.

Not crazy! I haven't needed to try that, but I know plenty of people who found relief and healing that way, my brother being one. He has degenerative disc problems, and accupuncture has helped hugely.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Got talked into going to a chiropractor 6 or so times, good as new !!

I've had bad experiences with chiropractors, as have other I know ... I'll avoid them forever. A minimally invasive procedure called a "Percutaneous Discetomy" fixed my lower back pain problems about 11 years ago. I walked out of the hospital after the procedure. It beat the heck out of the other medical otpions I was offered, whick included being opened up in a major operation by a surgeon.

I hope your pain goes away without any invasive procedures!

There has been a lot of good advice here. A lot of people think chiropractors are 'quacks', years ago, I probably would have said the same thing. However, that is the method that eased the pain in my lower back and got rid of my headaches from tension in the neck area. The clue is to find someone that is seeing a good chiropractor rather than trying to find one without referrals. I have heard a lot of good things about acupuncture. A good mattress is a must, a good supporting one and I also sleep with a neck roll or a pillow that is formed with a neck roll. If I sleep with a regular pillow, I will always wake with a headache. Strong Abs are the clue to alleviating lower back pain, and to remember to bend with the legs and knees not from the waist. Sure hope your pain gets better.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

I have terrible posture and after work my back always hurts. But i really recommend a chiropractor. I work for one and pretty much get free adjustments, and boy does it work wonders!!!!!

GINNY
The words I have to say, May well be simple but they're true, Until you give your love, There's nothing more that we can do-David Bowie

I work for one and pretty much get free adjustments, and boy does it work wonders!!!!!

GINNY

Lucky you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

quickly show us your boobies!!:P

If you ordered the WFFC DVD, you'll see them on that :$
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey