lukesw

Lost on canopy size ....

I have a big question always in my mind: which canopy to choose.....

I have 100 jumps did in the last 2 years and most of them (70) with a Spectre 190 ... but now I am in the process to buy my first equipment... what I don't know is which canopy.

I am quite convinced the 190 is the correct size for me (my weight is 83 kg), after the AFF I did test some 240, 220 and 200 ... to come up with a 190 and I would say I am pretty comfortable with that size ... I don't want to have a higher WL as 100 jumps are, in my opinion, not enough to use an aggressive WL, am I wrong? 190 is the correct size?

Saying I will use a 190 which canopy would you suggest? there are a lot of different manufacturer with a lot of different canopy, each of them with different characteristics, but with my limited experience I don't know which one I should get .... Sabre2 ? Spectre? Safire2? Crossfire2?

Same problem for the reserve canopy ... size? type? ....

The harness, mirage? vector? spirit vario? spirit?

You would say, why not buying a used gear? why not, but not so easy to find something that fit to me (83kg-183lb and 193cm-6ft 4in tall) ....

Basically I am lost .... :(

Sabre2 ? Spectre? Safire2? Crossfire2?

Same problem for the reserve canopy ... size? type? ....

The harness, mirage? vector? spirit vario? spirit?

You would say, why not buying a used gear? why not, but not so easy to find something that fit to me (83kg-183lb and 193cm-6ft 4in tall) ....

If you like the Spectre, buy a Spectre. If you can get a demo canopy, or borrow a rig with another type of 190, give it a shot and see if you like that one better. If you can get a demo canopy, you should be able to get the DZ to let you put it in the rental rig that usually holds the Spectre you've been jumping.

In terms of reserves, look for a 190 reserve. PD makes a 193-R, and I'm sure Aerodyne makes a Smart reserve about the same size.

For containers, anything that will fit your canopies and your body, and was built within the last 10 years would be a fine choice for a first rig. Look for something that will fit a 190 'easy' so it's easy for you (and your rigger) to pack.

In terms of sizing, you do sound tall and thin, so you might have a tough time fiding a used harness that fits. One option is harness resize. If you find a rig that will hold your canopies but the harness is too small, get the serial number and call the manufacturer to ask how much a resize would cost.

You'll need to have your measurements on hand when you call, but they can give you a quote, expect something between $250 and $500. It sounds like a lot, but if you can find a container for a good price, you can add the cost of the resize, and now you have a container with a new harness, built to your exact measurements. In the end, it will still be half the price of a new one.

thanks for the answer ... I was not aware about the resize...

what I would like to do is try different canopies, since now just tried 2, spectre and the navigator at the dropzone ... problem is difficult to find others borrowing you equipment that fit both container and canopies...

... problem is difficult to find others borrowing you equipment that fit both container and canopies...

Check with the DZ, and see if you can use a rental rig to demo canopies. You'll need to rent the rig for the day, and pay someone to hook up the demo, and then re-hook up the rental canopy at the end of the day, but if you have done 100 jumps renting gear I would think the DZ could see fit to help you out.

Also, look around the DZ for anyone who has a rig that would fit you and a 190 main canopy. See of you can make a deal with them to use their rig on a day when they're not planning to jump. I would suggest offering to 'rent' the rig from them for the rate the DZ charges for gear rental, and offer to sign a 'contract' that you'll pay for any loss or damage as a result of the use.

The other thing to keep in mind is that once you buy a rig, you can usually swap parts around for not too much extra money. Maybe just buy a Spectre 190 and a rig to fit, then you can demo whatever you want in your own rig anytime you want. If you find another canopy that you like more than the Spectre, sell the Spectre and use the proceeds to buy the canopy you like better. Depending on the deal you find for the other canopy, and what you get for your old canopy, you might be able to switch canopies for free (or maybe even make money on the deal). In the end, if you like the Spectre, just buy one to get started, and then go from there.

nobody in my DZ have a pulse but reading the comments seams very nice canopy smooth and fun...

So far I think I will buy a new rig made for me and search for canopies maybe second hand ...

For a new jumper a Pulse is a fantastic wing - at least I think so. I've jumped three sizes and couldn't' be happier.

I have a 150 main tray and fit a 170 Pulse in there with no problem. For giggles we also packed a 150 Sabre2 and the Pulse was barely bigger (barely, barely bulkier). Tray also fits a 7 cell 170...but the Spectre and Storm 170 packed up significantly bigger. I don't know if I'd do that long-term due to deforming the entire system somewhat. I have a Talon FX, FWIW.

Pulse (in pretty much any size) is difficult to find second-hand. I had to buy a new one.