RossDagley

Bad tandem lurk

What kind of cereal box did that instructor get his rating in???
He may have the skill to have a rating but not the judgment.>:(>:(>:(
Almost died twice in the same dive...

No doubt!

Me and the Mix-man seeing eye to eye on this one I think...

Am I the only one that believes that this TI should have his rating yanked?

This is an incredibly stupid decision on the TI's part, the tandem student’s safety was totally disregarded - it is really hard for me to believe that this actually happened.

It was worse than poor judgment – absolutely inexcusable!
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

" i'm to the point that i ask not to jump with outside video"

"will jump with a fellow TI"

reply to first statement..... I can appreciate a no lurker rule, but unless you have personal problems with video people, there's NOTHIN' wrong with a cameraperson joining the skydive...
On a number of jumps I have found myself being asked to assume the role of 'safety monitor' as well as video man.
I was on a jump once , where the main container somehow opened shortly after the drogue was thrown.... the TM was Unaware..:o the student oblivious...:S But I was in the only place which had a great VIEW of the situation... [:/]
as the lines stows started coming undone and the bag began bouncing further and further over the TM's back,,,,, i swooped in close to them, @ around 9 grand,,, and started pointing at them, with my left hand and simulating a deployment move with my right hand,,,:| and the TM got the message, and pulled the d release handle.;):)A tm all alone,,, might not have gotten the idea of what was happening behind/above them...so an outside camera CAN serve as a guardian angel...don't be so fast to dismiss it..
We all know of instances where a video person has untangled a drogue bridle which had snagged on the tandem pair... in one case , I believe wrapping around the TM's neck....

reply # 2 what is it that makes a T I any better at chasing a tandem?? than a capable RW jumper????? you're way better off with camera flyers lurking you,,, even if they leave the cameras on the ground...
trust me..... Most of the "newbie" TMs which are mentioned here......have spent their fair share of time on the 'learning curve', sliding around, struggling with a student or two,,, losing eye contact with their teammate ( the camera!! ) , and sometimes, moving all over the place.....
Well guess who is chasing them ???? right. the video guy...
Guess who KNOWs how to be in the RIGHT place, from exit through the dive, and during deployment???? right !!! the Camera Guys & Gals....take one along with confidence....

jumping is a shared experience with each case different and unique.. I would not have a "hard and fast Rule" excluding lurkers... but then again "I ain't the tm".......

" If I skydive safely, will You skydive safely "???

jmy

Case in point: http://manifestmaster.com/video/floating_ripcord.wmv

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

What kind of cereal box did that instructor get his rating in???
He may have the skill to have a rating but not the judgment.>:(>:(>:(
Almost died twice in the same dive...

No doubt!

Me and the Mix-man seeing eye to eye on this one I think...

Am I the only one that believes that this TI should have his rating yanked?

This is an incredibly stupid decision on the TI's part, the tandem student’s safety was totally disregarded - it is really hard for me to believe that this actually happened.

It was worse than poor judgment – absolutely inexcusable!

Everyone makes a mistake. I'll bet that this TI has learned from it.

Now if this is continuing behavior, then.......
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Everyone makes a mistake. I'll bet that this TI has learned from it.

Now if this is continuing behavior, then.......

You are correct - I digress...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

With all due respect - if I ever need the cameraflyer to save the day, I am in the process of making one tandemjump too many and should have quit before getting caught with my pants down...*)
:S

If you are a TI you either regret the instance when you weren't critical enough about lurkers or there's some learning in your future.

Though I belong to the first kind of TI's ("Jeez, what was I THINKING when I allowed THAT on the skydive!") I wouldn't put a fixed rule in place other than maybe "I don't want you anywhere in the same airspace when I'm entertaining your missus!" :)
*) That said, the "you owe me a beer" video IS entertaining...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...