EOCS

Pulse @ 1.3

Hello everyone,

Ive been flying a pulse 170 for about 80 jumps now and i really like its characteristics. over the course of the winter i will be staying current and was looking to get a new container that would hold 120-135 (for future DS without a new container) Or in a pulses case 150. Reason is that my current container, while nice, does not have as large/type a reserve as i would like. At this size my WL would be about 1.3

Having done a search on pulse vs pilot i found that dragon2 commented that a pulse at 1.5 didnt flare as well as lower WL and seemed to load up faster.

So the question is: Have you flown or are flying a pulse at around 1.3 WL and how do you find it?

As always open to advice/suggestions on other canopies :)

Thanks

I did not like the Pulse at a 1.3, I'm used to a Spectres flare, and I got nothing on the bottom end. put about 20 jumps on it and decided to go back to a 7 cell. Thats just my opinion.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

You will die under a pulse at 1.3!!!!

This is the sort of mindless, factless statement that removes the power from people who actually have something educational to say.

Good job. >:(
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

For me it was the opposite: had a storm 135 loaded @ 1.3, traded it for a pulse 135.

Didn't like the glide angle of the storm, or the fact that all the flare is at the end of the stroke. Openings were smooth but snivelly.

I now have a pulse loaded at 1.3, and while it doesn't have the flare of a sabre2, it's ok. It has a flat glide angle, wich I like. Plus openings are quick but super smooth and on heading, and it's much easier to pack than a conventional zp brand new canopy.

Your answer is in this. Highly recommend all 22 pages!

http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf

Where does it say how a pulse 150 flies loaded @1.3? Why is it that no one ever answers the actual question asked on dorkzone.com...

If you read it you know it doesn’t and your response puts you in the same category you are complaining about.

What it does do it direct the OP to information that may help him make a decision about wing loading that could save him some pain down the road.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Thanks to those for answering the question. will demo one and see :)

Just to clarify:
Reason for switching containers = larger reserve
Reason for downsizing = because i feel i am ready.
Both my current container and the one i plan to get can hold a 150.

I take canopy flight seriously and do practice drills and train with the canopy the same as i would train for freefall maneuvers.

That said thank you for pointing out the WL info, i have read it before and done most all the exercises in it and now have re read it. Since these charts differ from maker to maker for example the FAI book we work out of states that at my weight and jumps that a 170 is allowed however the bigairsports says that a 170 is not allowed until 240. As people differ in natural flight ability (people stand up first time flying right back to the DZ vs the person who has 400 jumps still falling ever other landing 300m from the LZ) I will go with how i feel as a pilot and what the more experienced people at my dropzone say.

No i dont think im some badass hero but i do feel i can safely fly and land a 150 in all conditions that i would actually jump in.