dcjulie99

Buying western union from POLAND in classifieds

Thinking about buying reserve canopy from Poland (im in usa) via western union. Seems like a perfect scam situation so makes me nervous. Should I insist on paypall? I got the serial and DOM info. Im probably answering my own question.. guess i'll insist on paypal... :)

Insist on using Chutingstar's escrow service. They're a reputable gear dealer, and any seller who won't ship to them without payment is hiding something, or just a scammer. They'll accept the shipment, and inspect the reserve (the only cost is for the inspection), and if it passes, they'll accept the payment and forward it to the seller.

Beyond that. why would you buy a reserve from Poland? Between the added shipping cost and added risk, just keep looking until you find one in the US, but even then, still use the escrow service.

Thanks for the replys, its cheap (the reserve) so thats mainly why- 1991 raven 150, but in new shape... whole thing is only like $350-with shipping included, if i buy others, they're at least $600. Im poor :) Anyway, maybe if I go thru the escrow deal... Guys name is Bartek Rys. Does a lot of dealing/buying/selling... Been researching him online, he looks legit but all my friends are like -DONT do it! :) But then they can afford new gear, etc.

I bought from him. I offered to pay the PayPal fee, and he was happy to accept that. I haven't received it yet, (it's too soon) but I have had good communication with him, and I'm not worried.

Ken Gowler
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Thinking about buying reserve canopy from Poland (im in usa) via western union. Seems like a perfect scam situation so makes me nervous. Should I insist on paypall? I got the serial and DOM info. Im probably answering my own question.. guess i'll insist on paypal... :)

You can’t find a reserve at a reasonable price in the US? $350 for a 21 year old reserve sight unseen is not much of a deal.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

there is the same risk in buying in Poland as in US, I cant see lil difference.
if you talking about person with nick Skydiverek http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?username=skydiverek;, he's been here for ages so I dont think there is any risk at all involved in buying any goods from him, although I never bought myself from him.
just my opinion
janusz
Back to Poland... back home.

I wouldn't buy a 21 yr old reserve... I would hardly even pack it...

It's a personal choice of course , but can you tell me why not?
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Because it is old and your reserve is your last chance. They are no long made for a reason. The reserve is the last place you want to buy on the cheap. The asking price is way more than the canopy is worth.

Sparky

Because it is old and your reserve is your last chance. They are no long made for a reason. The reserve is the last place you want to buy on the cheap. The asking price is way more than the canopy is worth.

Sparky

You are making a relation between completely unrelated things.

old
cheap
last chance

are completely different dimensions. Unless of course you automatically consider a PDR126 DOM 2012 a piece of shit if it costs a hundred bucks.

I keep telling riggers that refusing to pack something that's xx amount of years old based on age alone is silly, as they are generally a lot older than the gear they refuse to pack, but still seem to function just fine.

This year I've jumped a 1964 canopy, and I've binned a 1992 canopy. And trust me, age had nothing to do with my decision.

Sparky

You are making a relation between completely unrelated things.

old
cheap
last chance

are completely different dimensions. Unless of course you automatically consider a PDR126 DOM 2012 a piece of shit if it costs a hundred bucks.

I keep telling riggers that refusing to pack something that's xx amount of years old based on age alone is silly, as they are generally a lot older than the gear they refuse to pack, but still seem to function just fine.

This year I've jumped a 1964 canopy, and I've binned a 1992 canopy. And trust me, age had nothing to do with my decision.

I am not sure what your point is. The guy I responded to wanted to know why it was a bad idea to buy the particular canopy……….I listed some reasons I felt it was a bad deal.

I didn’t say anything about packing the thing…..it is up to each rigger to decide what he/she will pack. You may think it is silly, they may not. Does that make them right and you wrong of are you right and they are wrong. It’s a point of view; theirs is a valid as yours.

The fact that you jumped a canopy with a DOM of 1964 has no bearing on the issue.

Sparky

Because it is old and your reserve is your last chance.

That's your opinion and I respect that, but what makes it "old "?

They are no long made for a reason.

True. The same counts for few thousands Vector 2 still in use. They are no longer made, but does it mean that they are bad? Just because we know better now, that doesn't mean that old = bad.

And something to think about. Some time ago we sent a PDR back to the factory because all boxes were full. ( 40 repacks and 4 jumps ) The reserve was 20 years old. It came back after the inspection with another label sewn on with new 40 boxes . So the guys at PD think that 20 years old reserve is not only airworthy, but basically it's good as new .

With all that said, it's still up to the rigger to decide if he wants to pack it or not. Some riggers don't pack anything over 20 years. Others don't pack anything over 15 years. In some countries anything over 12 years is considered unairworthy.

Back to the OP. I don't think that you will have problems with skydiverek.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

True. The same counts for few thousands Vector 2 still in use. They are no longer made, but does it mean that they are bad? Just because we know better now, that doesn't mean that old = bad.

Apples and oranges……a container is just the bag the canopy goes in. You don’t fly it or have to land it. It is no longer made because it cannot compete against new designs.

I don't think that you will have problems with skydiverek.

I don’t remember saying anything about the integrity of the seller. I did say that I think the price was too high for the canopy.

Sparky

Apples and oranges……a container is just the bag the canopy goes in. You don’t fly it or have to land it. It is no longer made because it cannot compete against new designs.

I don't see it that way. Why RWS stopped making Vector 2?! Because people wanted to freefly and V2 simply was not good enough for that. Why Precision stopped making Raven reserve?! Because people wanted to load their reserve more than 1:1 and the reserve was not design for that.
Do you think that somebody jumping a Raven in Vector 2 is a person with a dead wish?
There's nothing bad in 20 years old reserve as long as it's in good condition and you don't exceed the manufacturer recommendations for weight and speed.

I don't think that you will have problems with skydiverek.

I don’t remember saying anything about the integrity of the seller. I did say that I think the price was too high for the canopy.

Sparky

I'm sorry if I left that impression. In my first reply to piisfish I did nothing to address the OP's concerns about dealing with skydiverek. That's why I used my second reply.

And just to be clear. Piisfish said : "I wouldn't buy a 21 yr old reserve... I would hardly even pack it..."

It's a general statement. About any 21 yr old reserve. I'm just interested in his reasons for that. He might know something I don't. He might have some data I don't have. I don't want to be a smart ass. I just want to know if his statement is based on some hard data or it's a personal feeling. That's all.

I don't want to be a smart ass. I just want to know if his statement is based on some hard data or it's a personal feeling. That's all.

I understand. And good for you…..knowledge is power and this sport the more you know the better chance you have of surviving.

Sparky

[And just to be clear. Piisfish said : "I wouldn't buy a 21 yr old reserve... I would hardly even pack it..."

It's a general statement. About any 21 yr old reserve. I'm just interested in his reasons for that. He might know something I don't. He might have some data I don't have. I don't want to be a smart ass. I just want to know if his statement is based on some hard data or it's a personal feeling. That's all.

no data, no hard facts. Depending on how the gear is maintained, I would repack it. But in the end, the jumper's life is on the line, and my arse too. I take the responsability on giving my customers and friends good gear.
Now nostalgia gear is different. And our Federation authorizes riggers to jump OLD gear :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Shall we all read the very first post? there is nothing about an age, condition or airworthiness of the canopy, there is a concern about the seller and possible scam. There is a question if skydiverek as a seller is a legitimate person.
Moderators should react on off topic rigging discussion
j.
Back to Poland... back home.

Shall we all read the very first post? there is nothing about an age, condition or airworthiness of the canopy, there is a concern about the seller and possible scam. There is a question if skydiverek as a seller is a legitimate person.
Moderators should react on off topic rigging discussion
j.

Read the complete thread before spouting off. Post #4 would be a good place to start.

Sparky