DcloudZ

Question about downsizing

This may be somewhat of a noob question but what steps are required to safely downsize from a 200 square foot canopy to a 150 square foot canopy? What skills should I master and do I need to downsize by 10 feet squared each time? How many jumps should I expect to complete minimum?

I am 5'9" 160lbs, Geared up I am likely around 180lbs.

Thanks in advance.:)
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

two names you should google + downsizing

Bill Von + downsizing

Brian Germain + downsizing

These two men are absolutely right on with their advice and they should be followed to the letter in your skydiving progression. I can safely say they are indisputely correct with their advice. Any deviation from them is dangerous.

You should also err on the conservative side of their ranges (they give ranges where it is appropriate to be wingloading).

One size at a time. If you choose to go elliptical, count that as a "size" too. (don't go down a size and change to elliptical in one step)

Billvon's downsizing checklist is in the Safety articles.

Brian Germain's size chart (that has a nice article on the skills you should have before you downsize) is a sticky in the Canopy Control and Swooping forum.

Both of those have the info you are looking for.

And step on a scale fully geared up sometime. Every DZ I've been to has one.
I go 155-160 stepping out of the shower. With a 190 main, 176 reserve and all my other stuff I went right around 190.
170 main, 176 reserve, plus stuff - 185 or so.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

what steps are required to safely downsize from a 200 square foot canopy to a 150 square foot canopy?

The actual steps vary, but depending on how much you weigh and what you do on your jumps, a few hundred of them are generally skydives.

Get jumping :)
(This is not having a go at you or making fun, just an observation. Checklists are great, but the one thing that will prepare you for jumping a smaller canopy is jumping a slightly larger canopy many times in succession!)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

These two men are absolutely right on with their advice and they should be followed to the letter in your skydiving progression. I can safely say they are indisputely correct with their advice. Any deviation from them is dangerous.

While I am not disagreeing with your sentiment, I think the degree with which you state absolute facts has no place in skydiving.

I suggest that you take a step back from making such definitive statements (advice I was given at about the same time in sport as you) as life will usually prove you wrong.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

what steps are required to safely downsize from a 200 square foot canopy to a 150 square foot canopy?

The actual steps vary, but depending on how much you weigh and what you do on your jumps, a few hundred of them are generally skydives.

Get jumping :)
(This is not having a go at you or making fun, just an observation. Checklists are great, but the one thing that will prepare you for jumping a smaller canopy is jumping a slightly larger canopy many times in succession!)

I disagree and the point needs to be made painfully clear because if not then tragedy (death) can occur.

Canopy drills must be practiced and coached otherwise a jumper could 'slip through' hundreds of jumps without any incident and accumulate 'jump numbers' without really knowing anything about canopy flight.

There's a lot to learn.