richravizza

Rear Riser Loops?

somewhat like " ....up to and including the cutaway (release) system.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to play the devils advocate, how would sewing loops at the top of the risers effect the rings at the bottom?

......and back at ya.....

who said the loops would affect the rings in the first place?!:P

On a serious note, about 2 months ago, I had a customer complaining about a couple of frayed lines near the top of his risers.
The lines were 600 lb Technora and I had never seen this kind of fraying and was totally bewildered.

That was until I looked at the other riser....

He had installed a GPS locating device on the right riser with none other than a couple of large Ty-Wraps.These Ty-wraps were cut at an angle and sharp as a razor blade.

He was also using a pull up cord to tie the risers together for packing.During packing, the sharp edge was cutting the lines little by little.

I guess no one would dispute that this was going to affect airworthiness in short fashion.

It is also noted in Chapter 136 that it is a Master rigger's responsibility to make alterations. It does not matter if it is a TSO'd componet or not.

Cheers,
MEL

Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

You are free to get a master rigger to add them if you like.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need a master rigger to work on risers? I wonder which, if any, of my several riser sets is legal?

This is a very commonly argued topic. Personally if a senior rigger has the ability to do the work properly, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to add loops to the rear risers. By ability I mean the know how, the machines and the materials.

I was back treading through the thread and saw this.

The answer is in paragraph 13,A of the document I posted above.

And the reason that a senior rigger cannot do this work is that he or she does not have the proper certificate to do the work.

It is no different than if a SEL (Single Engine Land)certificated pilot is flying solo in a twin engine (that they own) without a MEL certificate. (Multi-Engine Land).

Both would be operating outside of their certificate privileges.

MEL

Do I need to throw out all my riser sets that have switched toggles, replaced velcro, added slocks etc....all done by me without a riggers ticket? All on my own gear never on other people's gear. Then again I might sell my stuff someday.

As far as I'm concerned risers are main canopy gear. Yes I'm aware that they're traditionally considered part of the container. The thing that straddles the issue is called an RSL.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Do I need to throw out all my riser sets that have switched toggles, replaced velcro, added slocks etc....all done by me without a riggers ticket? All on my own gear never on other people's gear. Then again I might sell my stuff someday.

No just turn yourself in at the nearest FAA FSDO and maybe they with be easy on you!

As far as I'm concerned risers are main canopy gear.

Seriously again, it does not matter if it is a main or not.

An owner without any rigger certificate is only able to do (legaly) minor cleaning and assembly/disassembly needed for transportation and a couple of other little things.

Reference AC-105-2C, paragragh 11,f. did show the FAA's intent on this subject.

The thing that straddles the issue is called an RSL.

I'm thinking the "thing" that straddles the issue are people that work without a certificate or the ones that are working outside the privileges of a lesser certificate!

MEL

Just for reference AC-105-2C, paragragh 11,f has been replaced by AC-105-2D paragraph 13,f. The language remains the same.

Interesting that the AC also goes to great length to distinguish the main parachute system and all of it's components, including risers, from the harness, container and reserve system. Then the document says that only a master rigger can work on the main.

It appears that you are correct and virtually all skydivers are guilty of breaking the law by changing closing loops, risers, links, pilot chutes, disconnecting RSLs etc. Certainly structural work by non-master-riggers is verboten.

Seriously I'm not at issue with you Mel, it's the FAA rules that aren't reasonable. Since the main and it's components aren't TSO'd working on them shouldn't be rigger-required. The argument goes on.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............