NATiON

Rookies Review of the Pulse 170

I am pretty solid on accuracy and my canopy skills have been good enough to sat......

Just curious....how many of those jumps were you on radio?

If your making statements at 23 jumps about how much more advanced you are than your fellow "student buddies" I invite you to read just about any article/thread about downsizing to quick. That in itself is one of...if not THE number one red flag.
Dude..what the hell is on your head?

Your profile says you live in Calgary. That whole part of Alberta is 3000 or 3500 ASL. Where are you jumping? Did a dzo or an instructor sell you that rig? Are you for real or is this a troll?

I'm a big believer in adults making their own decisions, but the rate of canopy change and down sizing you are talking about is foolish at best. It is hard to believe that any DZ would allow it. I'm serious, which one of your instructors sold you the 170?

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Listen to your instructors, what this thread has is some guys with <500 jumps giving you advice. Your instructors that know you and can give you the best advice. These other guys should be keeping their mouths shut and trying to listen to the people that have survived a few years and a couple thousand jumps.

I truly admire the passion OP obviously has and who knows if he is a supertalent.. But Is it time that someone told him about a proper mindset instead of encouraging him to bypass "accepted" safety guidelines which are preached to everybody else learning to do this sport safely?

I'm amazed no one has pointed you here yet, but maybe you should tell this guy, all about your mad skillz,

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=4203276;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Or [url "http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1106024#1106024"]this one.

Honestly, we see this all the time. "I'm above average, better than average, my instructors tell me I'm fine, I'm super sport-capable, I'm never distracted, I'm always heads-up...."

Truth is, we're pretty much all "average" and the average guy that's been around for a while...is telling the OP that he's loaded too heavily for experience. It might not catch up now, but the mental trajectory into the next "I'm more capable" will be slightly flatter. It becomes easier and easier to make poor decisions until one day....it does catch up. It always does, based on the averages.:P

Thanks for all the input here. although some of it has gone way off track.
I am not claiming to be anyone above average or anything like that. in fact I have even said myself that i downsized pretty fast and im aware of this risk.

Facts.
I bought this gear on my own doing.
My multiple instructors with 6000+ jumps all supervised me and made me do all the different types of landings under canopy to satisfy them with my newbie skills. xwind downwind flat turn etc..
I pretty much have a c2 watch every landing.

I was off radio by about jump 5 or 6.

ive put more than 10 jumps on this canopy now and im at about 30 jumps. so far im having fun with it and have been practicing up high.

I have had so many people with 1000+ jumps tell me that for my size and skill level a 1:1 is a good start. play safe and learn the canopy up high..

Some are going to disagree with this obviously. But these are the guys that are watching me fly so i have to trust their judgement somewhat.

I dont claim to be anything but a rookie so if anyone can offer up some great advice that would be awesome.. dont post some crap about a swooper piling in and telling me i think i have mad shills.. wtf. thats not relevent here.

Thanks for all the great input from the peeps that have offered up their time to give me GOOD advice. i appreciate it guys. Im just trying to learn.

Cheers,