scottymccomas

Vortex 2

Im looking to buy my first rig, and I found a used Vortex 2 that sounds (assuming the guy is telling the truth) to be perfectly sized for me. Im just wondering what opinions you guys have on the Vortex 2? Also is $1900 too much for a Vortex with 300 jumps and a 4 year old PDR 160?

Anything helps
Its Monday, Ill ask the same question at the DZ on Saturday. When I'm there...

I am in the process of buying a new V2. I have made some jumps on them, and find it very good, specially if it has the back padding in place. Great rig, no issues.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

there's nothing wrong with a vortex container per se. comfy rig at a very good rate.
only problem i have heard of: people tend to overstuff the vortex - read: maximum sized main & reserve in minimum sized rigs. plus riggers have to know their stuff to pack it neat - which equals to a very thight packjob resulting in higher pullforces on the reserve. so best check with yur local rigger on that specific gear.
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

basicley a vortex is a copy of a javelin.
its made in south africa and its an ok rig. if its only 4 years old it should be freefly friendly etc. so it could be a good choice.
however there was a bullitin out on them from earlier this year. you should be able to get a copy of that at the top of this forum, it is an easy enough fix and your rigger should be able to inspect if it has been done.
as for the reserve, a PD160 is a fantastic reserve in my opinion. it smy opinion that PD make the best reserves in the market, but i am sure other people might disagree with that.
as for the price, that almost sounds to good to be true. if you can get it at that price and all is in order you are getting a very good and sweet deal B|

so hope it works our for you

rodger

I have two Vortex 2s and they are both very good rigs. One I bought new and it has proved very durable over the last five years with absolutely no issues. As far as packing is concerned I don't consider it any tighter, either reserve or main, than any other rig. The pop top does have less of a lip than the Javelin, so it does take some care to make it pretty, but both my Vortex reserve pack jobs look prettier than most of the Javelins I see. If I can rig it pretty then anyone can.

The service bulletin was for the Parachute Systems Decelerator reserve, and it was to check the size of the steering line cat's eye and the stiffness of the toggle insert. If you don't have a Decelerator reserve then the SB does not apply.

Overall, in my opinion, it is one of the best gear values around. You may also want to look at a new Vortex. I believe they are having a special now and you can get a new rig for around $1600; you would still need to put a reserve in it though. Here is the contact info: [email protected]