jraf

$42 for gas!!!!!

I paid $42 for 22 gallons of gas last night. This is some nightmare. I want a diesel engine immediately - it gives me double the milage and much more reliability!!!
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

I just did the same.

Whenever I see one of those hybrids, I used to think of my Tahoe running over it in triumph (picture me saying "little cars are for wussies").

Now, I keep thinking of my truck parked with Billvon driving in little circles around it (picture him saying "big cars are for people who can afford the gas").

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

I have a diesel Ram. Out here diesel is more expensive than midgrade gas. SUX!!

So do I and Diesel is around $1.69 here. I get 18.5 in my Dodge, not bad for a large truck.:|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

My Discovery I had in over in Europe had a 2.5 liter turbo diesel engine. It was quiet, extremely powerful, very efficient and extremely reliable. The Discovery is a 2.5 tonn vehicle and yet the power of a 4 cylinder engine was more than sufficient. It did max out at 100 mph, but what do I need more for?
jraf

Muff #3275

My Discovery I had in over in Europe had a 2.5 liter turbo diesel engine. It was quiet, extremely powerful, very efficient and extremely reliable. The Discovery is a 2.5 tonn vehicle and yet the power of a 4 cylinder engine was more than sufficient. It did max out at 100 mph, but what do I need more for?

Land Rover Discovery?? 2.5 tonn??:S Surely you mean .25 ton:S

>I have a diesel Ram. Out here diesel is more expensive than
>midgrade gas. SUX!!

You can make biodiesel for about 50 cents a gallon. You need vegetable oil (used or new) methanol and lye. It's sold commercially for about $2.25 a gallon, so if prices get too high that's an option.

Discovery weighs 5,000 lbs. It is a heavy vehicle, and yet the 2.5 liter turbodiesel is more than sufficient for it. Toyota puts a 3.0 liter 4 cylinder turbodiesel into the Land Cruiser. Mitsubishi have a 2.8 liter in line 6 tubodiesel for the Montero. Mercedes has a 2.5 liter for the M class, Isusu has a 3.0 liter tdi for the trooper...etc...etc...etc. Oh, I would have forgotten...you should see how sweet the Jeep Grand Cheerokee and the Jeep Wrangler run with a 2.5 liter italian made ZF turbodiesel with which they are marketed in Europe.

In Europe prices of gas are so ridiculous, practically every car maker gives you the option of having a diesel in every model they make.
jraf

Muff #3275

Discovery weighs 5,000 lbs. It is a heavy vehicle, and yet the 2.5 liter turbodiesel is more than sufficient for it.

Dohh!! i was thinking along the lines of the way we classify trucks, ie. 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton etc. Wasn't even thinking of gross weight, only payload. Sorry jraf[:/]

I paid $42 for 22 gallons of gas last night. This is some nightmare. I want a diesel engine immediately - it gives me double the milage and much more reliability!!!

diddums....

quick calc. 22 gallons = 83 L

petrol is ~AU$1 per litre -> $83

if we just did a conversion beteen AU and US, it would cost me only AU$70.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Anybody know: How many gallons of airplane fuel gets consumed every jump run? How many does a twin otter consume per jumprun/22 skydivers= $howmuch/little-ole-me??

And what would that calculation be in UK or ??:o
Marc

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

>How many does a twin otter consume per jumprun/22 skydivers=
>$howmuch/little-ole-me??

For a full load on a normal day to 12.5, it's a little over a gallon per jumper per load according to Bryan Burke. So for a full load, we're talking another $.50 a jumper compared to about six months ago. Since loads often aren't full it's probably closer to $1 per jumper.