Hooksta

What are the largest showrooms where one can try on jumpsuits, helmets, etc?

I travel quite a bit in my job and would like to purchase an off the rack jumpsuit and helmet. I was curious where the best places in the U.S. are to try on gear. My hopes are my travels will put me near one of these superstores...or super dropzones that have a large selection.

For proper fit reasons I'm tenative to purchase a helmet online. My noggin' is more long (front to back) than wide. For example, I tried on a Revolve XL and my nose is about a cm from touching the faceshield, yet there seems to be a little extra room on the sides. It would work, but I'd prefer to find a helmet not designed for round heads.

Thanks!

Helmet: great!

Jumpsuit: you will get, at best, a mediocre fit from any off-the-rack suit (unless you really luck out).

Square 1 (Perris) and Square 2 (Eloy) have as-big-as-I've-seen-them shop floors. There may (probably are) be others on the east side. The Sunshine Factory was a decent size when I visited Zhills, but that was years ago...
Remster

I travel quite a bit in my job and would like to purchase an off the rack jumpsuit and helmet. I was curious where the best places in the U.S. are to try on gear. My hopes are my travels will put me near one of these superstores...or super dropzones that have a large selection.

For proper fit reasons I'm tenative to purchase a helmet online. My noggin' is more long (front to back) than wide. For example, I tried on a Revolve XL and my nose is about a cm from touching the faceshield, yet there seems to be a little extra room on the sides. It would work, but I'd prefer to find a helmet not designed for round heads.

Thanks!

1 cm from the faceshield may actually be fairly normal.

Besides what has already been mentioned, Paragear in Skokie, IL has a showroom also, I think.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

What about San Diego, CA? Anything there? I have a trip coming up in October and I can add a couple of days on the front end of the trip.

Square One is located up in Perris. Not too too far.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It has a nice large showroom?....as in many helmet styles and possibly jumpsuits I can try on? I'd certainly make the drive up from San Diego if that is the case.

I am actually heading out to Lake Tahoe for a week (leaving tomorrow). I may see if they have a dropzone with showroom there.

(EDIT: Found SkyDive Tahoe on the web, called to inquire, and the lady told me they were closed down, and located some 2.5 hours away. Funny because the website doesn't indicate they are closed).

It has a nice large showroom?....as in many helmet styles and possibly jumpsuits I can try on? I'd certainly make the drive up from San Diego if that is the case.

I am actually heading out to Lake Tahoe for a week (leaving tomorrow). I may see if they have a dropzone with showroom there.

Nothing in Tahoe - the only DZ there closed a couple years ago. I think your closest gear store would be Action Air at SkyDance in Davis, CA. Skydive Sacramento is closer to Tahoe, but I'm not sure how much gear they keep in stock there. Either DZ is a few hours drive from Tahoe, though.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Most new jumpsuits are ordered custom made to your measurements. At your stage I'd consider used from your local area. I don't know whether anybody other than ParaGear in Skokie might have the new premade jumpsuits on the rack to try on. They only come in 4 or 5 sizes and you should be able to pick yours from the catalog or website.

Helmets need to be tried on or be willing to return it. I've had trouble finding one that I like. BUT I'd still recommend an open helmet for your 70 jumps. The best? The cheapest, a Protec. No need to try them on. ParaGear might have the most in stock to try on, or not. Call before making the trek.

Best place to try on helmets? Daytona Beach in March at the PIA Symposium.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I don't know whether anybody other than ParaGear in Skokie might have the new premade jumpsuits on the rack to try on.

Square 2 in Eloy (and I can only assume Square 1 in Perris too) have some too. As you stated, in a few sizes, in a basic freefly design.
Remster

It has a nice large showroom?....as in many helmet styles and possibly jumpsuits I can try on? I'd certainly make the drive up from San Diego if that is the case...

I don't know. I've never been there. I've only mail-ordered from them.
But they are one of the bigger outfits, and I'd guess that they would have a decent showroom.
Call or e-mail them and ask.

Alternatively, hit the boogie circuit. I was at SDC Summerfest a month ago and the Skysystems guy had a whole lot of helmets. And you could jump them, not just try them on on the ground.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

While visiting Perris, I learned that Bonehead was located about five miles away. I went over to their location and Linda custom fit a Revolve for me. She was awesome! I described my fit experiences with their L and XL, she measured my head, and nailed it on her first attempt!

The shell is the same size for L and XL, so basically I would have needed to order a large and remove a layer of padding in the back and top while keeping large pads on sides and chin...thus creating a hybrid between a large and XL. I now have more nose clearance than the standard XL and the sides fit as they should.

Linda rocks!B|

I actually haven't been "inside" the gear stores in CA for the past few years.

That said and if my memory serves, the "Chuting Star" store in DeLand is the biggist store that I have ever been in!

If you could get Mike to post a picture of the "helmet" wall, I recall at least 50 helmets on display. And with some of the best jumpsuit places right behind the street, DeLand really is the Mecca for gear!

Please note that I'm not making any quality comparisons and I want to be clear about this

I don't value the size of the store as an important factor in my gear selection decisions.

I have ripped apart and or modified my stuff, my friends stuff, and etc,...

So I pretty much know what I'm getting long before I spend any cash!

C

As far as helmet sizes, I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why you haven't tried on any of your friends or people that you know for the right size???
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

GLIDEANGLE

would like to purchase an off the rack jumpsuit

Why settle for "off the rack" jumpsuit? Custom is the norm.... For VERY good reasons.

I have bought them off of the shelf then taken them to a wedding dress shop to get them custom fitted.