dropdeded

Gas Prices

$2.07 per gallon,cheapest in town.Bakersfield Ca.

Kinda worried here cause I just cant afford this price and its gonna be even higher real soon.

How much where you are?How high you think it will get in the near future?

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

>Kinda worried here cause I just cant afford this price . . .

Well, that depends on the car you drive. It's still cheaper to run a Honda Civic now than it was to run a Suburban two years ago.

>How much where you are?

$2.30/gal average

>How high you think it will get in the near future?

No more than $3/gal, and if that, then for a very short time. At $3/gal, other alternatives (like alcohol or biodiesel) are cheaper; that means market forces will conspire to keep gas below those prices.

No more than $3/gal, and if that, then for a very short time. At $3/gal, other alternatives (like alcohol or biodiesel) are cheaper

Watched a special on the H channel the other day about gasoline and alternatives. They showed the infrastructure in place for moving gasoline from the refineries to the distribution points (gas stations). The biggest problem with alternative fuels is distribution. Even if they were cheaper, it would take at least 10 years to develop a similar infrastructure for distribution at a cost in the billions.

>The biggest problem with alternative fuels is distribution. Even if they
> were cheaper, it would take at least 10 years to develop a similar
> infrastructure for distribution at a cost in the billions.

That is a problem for hydrogen, but not as much of a problem for biodiesel and E85. Transport systems for liquid fuels are already in place and can be used without much modification. Even today, ethanol is used as an additive in gasoline, and it's pumped down pipelines and trucked to stations like it always has been.

Well, that depends on the car you drive. It's still cheaper to run a Honda Civic now than it was to run a Suburban two years ago.

Drivin my wifes 99 Saturn.COULD drive my Chevy 3/4 ton but the tags(97)say no.

Just gets frustrating with all the oil wells around here,hell,there is one in the bank parking lot.

dropdeded
The Dude Abides.
-

Just gets frustrating with all the oil wells around here,hell,there is one in the bank parking lot.

Tell me about it.... there are 4 major refineries that I know of in the Bay area yet we are paying some of the highest prices in the nation.

Cheapest I've seen is 2.07
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

The gas prices for Meridian, MS where I live ranges between $1.59-$1.62. I hate paying high gas prices!

Just a question.If they drill it here and there are refineries here.Why does it cost more than somewhere it must be shipped too ?

dropdeded
The Dude Abides.
-

Just a question.If they drill it here and there are refineries here.Why does it cost more than somewhere it must be shipped too ?

Gasoline is still really cheap. It's the taxes that make it expensive. And the taxes are directly proportional to the amount of air pollution you have in your area. Most refineries are in or near large cities, but the gas costs more in the cities because the polution is higher.

number one: supply vs. demand, number two: resources. we cannot sustain our energy needs by ourselves. the US intentionally drills in other global areas to deplete international reserves to insure that we do not deplete our own. we have the acreage, we have the men, machinery, technology and resources to be energy independant, but we are not so, intentionally. this is antiquated idealogy from 50 years ago when the americans drilled the first wells in saudi arabia and kuwait. then of course the saudis threw out the americans and nationalized the field and kept the drilling equipment and sent everybody else packing. what are the odds? to answer your question specifically, it is cheaper to import natural resources such as oil because OPEC controls the price of oil, and saudi arabia comes in as # 1 world producer, and believe it or not iraq comes in at # 2 oil producer, so you can see who's in the "driver's seat" when it comes to the price of oil and gas re: OPEC. when, and if the US ever smartens up a bit, and decides to utilize their own resources then and only then will we be able to control our own energy destiny and prices. so if it's cheap fuel you want, tell the congress and senators to let us drill where we want to in the US and we can be energy independant.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

>Gasoline is still really cheap. It's the taxes that make it expensive.

From an analysis of LA gas about a year ago:

Gallon costs $1.87.

Crude .61
Refining .70
Oxygenate .05
Fed tax .18
State tax .18
Local tax .14
Station profit .01

So that's 26% tax on a gallon of gas for all taxes; considerably lower than the taxes on my income.