dthames

Weight belt load attached to MLW

I am a bit tall and skinny and have been told I need to think about a weight belt to help in RW.

I am not flexable enough to have a wide range of options with my arch. My lower back has given me a little trouble over the years but so far in skydiving it is not an issue. But I don't want to expose my back to any more stress than is required.

I was wondering if anyone had worked toward the goal to allow the main lift web to take on the weight of a weight belt so that during opening the weight belt load is pulling on the harness and not compressing the jumper's lower body.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I don't know.... but it would suck for a rig to get grounded due to wear as a result of attaching weights to it. There have been issues w/wear as a result of demo flags being attached.... so what would a weight belt do?
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

Have seen a weight belt hung off of the chest rings on a fully articulated harness. It was several years ago, so I'm not 100% on the details, but it also had a strap that went around the jumper, and they were all secured with RSL type quick-release shackles. The jumper was a rigger, so I'm sure they made some sort of provision making sure it didn't interfere with their handles.

I've also seen a Jav that had weight pockets built into the container. I think they were in the main pack tray, or something like that. It was built for a small jumper who always jumped with weights, but I think they still needed a weight belt because the rig could only hold so much.

I've also seen a Jav that had weight pockets built into the container. I think they were in the main pack tray, or something like that. It was built for a small jumper who always jumped with weights, but I think they still needed a weight belt because the rig could only hold so much.

Similarly, I've seen an Infinity that had weight pockets sewn into the back pad.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Have seen a weight belt hung off of the chest rings on a fully articulated harness.

What I've seen several times is a belt attached to the hip rings.

As far as extra wear, well, wouldn't the harness will be subjected to the additional load, regardless of where it's put?

To the OP: I'm not saying to not wear weighs, but if you have flexibility issues, they working on that too.
Remster

As far as extra wear, well, wouldn't the harness will be subjected to the additional load, regardless of where it's put?

Sure, but there is a big difference between the entire harness system having another 5-10 pounds spread out over the whole system and the wear that could come at two very specific attachment points.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I am a bit tall and skinny and have been told I need to think about a weight belt to help in RW.

I am not flexable enough to have a wide range of options with my arch. My lower back has given me a little trouble over the years but so far in skydiving it is not an issue. But I don't want to expose my back to any more stress than is required.

I was wondering if anyone had worked toward the goal to allow the main lift web to take on the weight of a weight belt so that during opening the weight belt load is pulling on the harness and not compressing the jumper's lower body.

Weights might help but my first thought was that the right suit might help more than just adding weight. Go for something slick and tight. Also, as you progress you are going to get better at flying your body and controlling how much of it is out in the wind. You can get really small without going into a hard arch.

I've seen people attach things to the MLW that could either mess with the handles in free fall or make for an awkward pull if you had to use them. Things shift around in free fall that looked great on the ground. Better to wear them as a vest. At this point in your learning I don't think that attaching them to your harness will change your experience much except to possibly impede some of your emergency procedures.

I've seen rigs with weight pockets sewn into the backpad and also into the mudflaps over the MLW. I'm certain that any manufacturer you speak with has had this conversation with someone else in the past, and can provide some guidance.

Rigging Innovations has a neat system to add weight in the back pad area. We were able to add up to 20 lbs in the container which makes openings so much better, the weight is distributed onto the harness not onto your shoulders. It is a little different on landing with the weight being higher on your center.

With the space foam to make the back more comfortable, we moved the weight pocket into the main packing tray. It reduced the amount of weight we could carry and means you have to plan for more space for your main to share with the weights, but the padding is awesome!

Talk with RI about weight tray options.

PS. I like weights in the rig from a safety standpoint, its easier to dump your rig in the event of a water landing or some emergency, than to dig a weight belt/vest out from under your jumpsuit. The weights outside a jumpsuit I always feel are a drop hazard or cover handles too easily.
Jump more, post less!