mkp033

spectre170 to a sabre or crossfire 170?

ok so im an A licensed jumper, currently flying a spectre 170 with 64 jumps and wing loading is 1.1 and id rather have a resposnsive 9 cell canopy with better glide. im leaning toward a crossfire. im not ready to downsize any further just yet, but i want a higher performance canopy. any advice?

Not going to flame you, but: if those are your options, go for the Sabre.

The Crossfire is not a great idea at this point, no matter what size it is. They're popular for good reasons, but they also can and do bite purely because of their design. A few hundred more jumps on something less unforgiving will (hopefully) give you the automatic responses you'll need to stay out of trouble.

Ignore people who say "Oh I had a large elliptical at 100 jumps and I was fine"; the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence' :P

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

If you get the crossfire, it may end up being a great deal for the next person to own it. With 64 jumps the risk of you spanking it in and hurting yourself on a canopy like that is definitely notable, and if you are still alive after you do, I would imagine you'd be looking to sell the crossfire on to the delight of the next buyer!

In general I would say stick with a Sabre2/Pilot/Safire2 sort of canopy, they will be more than satisfying, while still being quite forgiving.

Maybe speak to some of your instructors or staff at your DZ to get advice from them?

I'm nearing 500 jumps and still wary of trying out a crossfire. Maybe I'm being over cautious, but I like my legs in tact.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

ok so im an A licensed jumper, currently flying a spectre 170 with 64 jumps and wing loading is 1.1 and id rather have a resposnsive 9 cell canopy with better glide. im leaning toward a crossfire. im not ready to downsize any further just yet, but i want a higher performance canopy. any advice?

Are you sure you mean a Crossfire?

Fully eliptical, high performance, recommended for experienced jumpers only.

And it says right on the site (click on the "Tech Specs" tab)

We recommend wing loadings from 1.4psf to 2.1psf

Icarus site: http://www.nzaerosports.com/canopies/icarus-crossfire
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Or consider an Icarus Safire2 170.

It would be much easier to find a Safire2 169. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

If you want to stay with Performance Designs line of canopies, the next step (according John LeBlanc) for you would be a 9 cell Pulse which has a flat glide. The Pulse is a hybrib canopy (top skin is zero porosity while the bottom skin is slightly porous) which is very funny to fly. Low toggles pressure and easy for packing. Flying a Pulse gives you the impression of lightness and provides you with a nice long glide.
Just in case you want to have a better flare and still stay with a 7 cell canopy, try the Storm also made by Performance Designs which has more downward and forward speed than the Spectre and which provides a very strong flare. A Crossfire is also a flat angle glide canopy but you should wait for it since it is a fully elliptical one with corresponding fast reactions.
The best would be for you to talk to an instructor or a rigger who knows different canopies and who has tried them.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

A Spectre will out-glide and turn in a tighter radius than a similarly loaded Sabre2 according to: http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/Spectre-Flight-Char.PDF

A Spectre will out-glide in full flight and turn in a tighter radius while losing more altitude than a similarly loaded Sabre2 according to: http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/Spectre-Flight-Char.PDF

FIFY

Personal experience, I hated my sabre 2's openings. The crossfire has definitely provided better openings but I am now looking for a more docile canopy. Hoping to try a Safire 2 or Spectre but if I find a used one at the right price I won't hesitate.

MKP- If I were you, I would ask to swap same size canopies with other people on the DZ if it's possible.