rss_v

Can you get anything for £1000 these days?

Let's say £800-1500 or about the same number of US dollars. Are there complete rigs available, second-hand, at that price point any more or has the arrival of compulsory-AAD rules doubled the cost of any beginner's rig? Are those numbers just fantasy, AAD or not?

I want a rig for two main reasons:
1) avoiding rental and packing costs
2) being able to jump the same canopy and get used to it

Apart from that, I don't really care what it's like. £1000 all-in would be great, is that even possible today? All second-hand rigs I've seen so far around here are more like £2500 for low-end stuff. Can someone give me a quick summary of where prices are today and if I'm being completely unreasonable? It's hard to get an idea for these things, at first, even from browsing classified ads - since I often can't tell how "valuable" one product is compared to another.

Thanks!

You can expect to spend $800-$1500 for a used container alone. Then all you need is a reserve, main, AAD, and any rigging work that might be needed (new lines, RSL install, AAD install, reserve pack, etc.).

I bought my gear all used (including a cypres2) and it's in very good shape. It set me back just over $5300.
Apex BASE

The problem with 1st time rigs is that they get snapped up really quickly as there are so few available in ol' Blighty and that keeps the prices high. Reckon you'll not get a rig for anything less than £2000.

Can you get some overtime in?

It would be harder in the UK (I'm assuming you're in the UK based on currency). An AAD will make it close to impossible, but if you don't need one, just keep looking, and remember it probably will be older, with less fashionable canopies, and probably not freefly-friendly.

There's a Vortex in the ads for 1800 pounds, including a Cypres. It's a 150, which might be too small. Look painstakingly through the ads in the DZ.com classified; you can also assemble a rig if you look for pieces (e.g. buy a container and reserve, then buy a main).

You might end up with pink and purple gear. It won't have spacer foam or stainless steel. If you're in the UK and there are rules about equipment age, you'll have to pay attention to that.

It won't jump into your lap -- you have to pay for it in effort, since you don't have the ready. There are 10 pages of ads for complete systems, as well as ads for mains, reserves, and containers. It'll take you a couple of hours to go through them systematically. But you might just find a deal in there. And if you don't, you'll know much more about what stuff is actually worth. Also remember that OBO means you can bargain -- these are people who want to sell their gear...

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Maybe not 1000 notes of the realm with an AAD, but there is airworthy stuff around. For example, my partner shifted a Vector 2 with a Spectre main and a reserve, all airworthy, for 600 notes. No AAD. This was a few weeks ago. I see similar sales occasionally. It's worth keeping an eye on uks, and also asking around. Riggers often know of gear, or will keep an ear out. I'd up your budget by 500 quid, and I'm sure you'll find something at that price point.

It would be harder in the UK (I'm assuming you're in the UK based on currency). An AAD will make it close to impossible, but if you don't need one, just keep looking, and remember it probably will be older, with less fashionable canopies, and probably not freefly-friendly.

There's a Vortex in the ads for 1800 pounds, including a Cypres. It's a 150, which might be too small. Look painstakingly through the ads in the DZ.com classified; you can also assemble a rig if you look for pieces (e.g. buy a container and reserve, then buy a main).

You might end up with pink and purple gear. It won't have spacer foam or stainless steel. If you're in the UK and there are rules about equipment age, you'll have to pay attention to that.

It won't jump into your lap -- you have to pay for it in effort, since you don't have the ready. There are 10 pages of ads for complete systems, as well as ads for mains, reserves, and containers. It'll take you a couple of hours to go through them systematically. But you might just find a deal in there. And if you don't, you'll know much more about what stuff is actually worth. Also remember that OBO means you can bargain -- these are people who want to sell their gear...

Wendy P.

she gave you the best possible advice. It really depends on whats out there.

I got a mirage G3 with sabre2 150 and PD reserve with argus AAD for 1800 USD. I had to buy everything separately and have my rigger assemble it.

You have to be rigorous with bargaining people down and you have to be willing to pass deals up if they arent the best possible price you could pay.

my general price point that would break the deal:
400 for container
400 for reserve
600 for canopy
400 for aad

ymmv!

There is stuff out there, but you just have to be looking in the right place at the right time.

Become a member of the facebook group "UK skydiving for sale" or something like that. A lot of stuff is posted on there. Make sure you scour the classifieds here and on ukskydiver.co.uk

I saw a Paratec Next full rig go for sale for about £1000 recently on the facebook group. It was the best deal I've seen in a long time.

but if you keep looking, you might get lucky.

Getting a used rig without an AAD should still be possible for the circa £1000 region, but it may not be the slightest bit sexy. If you don't care about that, as long as you are patient and persistent, then you should get there in the end.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Become a member of the facebook group "UK skydiving for sale" or something like that.

This is great advice so it bears repeating :)
As the man says, you do occasionally see rigs going for a grand or so, but it's very rare, and even rarer for stuff that would be suitable for a beginner. It's either ragged out, in a hard-to-sell size, or both.

Not that it doesn't happen. Someone I know picked up a reserve and Javelin for 500 pounds last week... old but in OK enough shape. Now they just need to find a main, and they're ready to rock.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I don't know about age regulations for gear in the UK. But I'd keep an eye out on the Dutch, Belgian, German etc skydive forums as well.
I just sold an older but in good shape beginner-size javelin (and all black too, not even pink) with a PD-143R for 475 euro. There are deals to be had if you look for them, especially with gear that's been in a closet for a while so older but still good to jump (provided you're allowed to jump older gear, in Belgium for instance you are not so they sell stuff).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I don't know about age regulations for gear in the UK. But I'd keep an eye out on the Dutch, Belgian, German etc skydive forums as well.

Just found an ad at myskydive.de that isn't really in the price range mentioned by the OP but it might be worth dropping a line to [email protected] in case they have more used rigs to sell - they can be trusted, have a green WOT sign, have dealt with them, nice guys.
Or you look at the classifieds at myskydive.de - most folks there speak English fairly well so you might be lucky though shipping costs may be a factor...

I just sold an older but in good shape beginner-size javelin (and all black too, not even pink) with a PD-143R ...

Heh, heh!
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I have an option at the moment to get a decent PD 190 in a vector II, not ideal colours but I’ll manage. It’s only £1000, including an AAD with 8 months left on it. It’s 5hrs away and would cost me £60-100 to travel to see it. I have the name of the rigger who inspected it at the seller’s local DZ, so I could call and ask for confirmation of that, and then just have it posted? I’d go to see it but I can’t think what I’d do in person – I don’t know anything more about it than I can tell from pictures and I won’t know how it fits until I get it in the air anyway. What do you reckon?

It's impossible to say anything about that rig without seeing it. But a PD190 is an old design F111 main that shouldn't be loaded over about 1:1 and will start losing it's flare after about 600-800 jumps. A Vector II container probably has velcro all over it which means you're best not to go free flying in it. So, it's almost certainly old and probably well knackered but might still save your ass from certain splattage. I've jumped them and probably would again if I was desperate, but I doubt I'd pay actual money for one.

It's impossible to say anything about that rig without seeing it. But a PD190 is an old design F111 main that shouldn't be loaded over about 1:1 and will start losing it's flare after about 600-800 jumps. A Vector II container probably has velcro all over it which means you're best not to go free flying in it. So, it's almost certainly old and probably well knackered but might still save your ass from certain splattage. I've jumped them and probably would again if I was desperate, but I doubt I'd pay actual money for one.

Here are some pics:

http://wm42.inbox.com/thumbs/5_138217_e55fc581_tn.jpg.thumb
http://wm42.inbox.com/thumbs/8_138214_13551faf_tn.jpg.thumb
http://wm42.inbox.com/thumbs/c_138210_76a4b11_tn.jpg.thumb
http://wm42.inbox.com/thumbs/e_13820e_b6ddbe2_tn.jpg.thumb

I doubt they help very much, but you can get a rough idea.