rhopstr

Was "Spacer Foam Back Pad" available on a Javelin in 2002?

Hi there,

could use some help figuring out what options were available when you ordered a Javelin in 2002. I'm seriously considering buying my first rig with "full options" with DOM 2002. Spacerfoam being just one of the options I'm interested in knowing if it was available at that time; to explain the title.

The seller isn't sure what all the options were -exactly- besides the ones that stand out most. I as a buyer, on the other hand, would like to know us much as possible before I get a change to see the rig in real life. I'm pretty sure I'll brainfart partly when presented with the opportunity to buy the rig on the spot and to leave the scene as a proud first-rig-owner. So, knowing this about myself I would like to do as much of the serious brainwork beforehand when I can still do some reasonable math...

If someone could let me know what any or all the available options were on Javelins in 2002 please do..

Tell the seller to call Sunpath with the serial number and he should be able to get a copy of the order form which will tell both of you everything you need to know.

That said, I don't think it was available in '02 and I also don't think that should be a deciding factor in buying a used rig. If the harness fits you, and the canopies are properly sized for the container, it will be comfortable enough and 100x better than student/rental rigs.

my first rig was a 94 or 97 javelin; ugly as fuck, but lasted me two good seasons, it had a fairly new cypres 2 in there, i got it for a (relatively) cheap price, sold it on without the cypres and guess what; i havent made a single cent backwards.

of course, original sabre, not the latest PD reserve, but it got me in the air and served me well.

oh yea, the buyer was happy to buy it, and i was happy to sell it; which is a good part of the deal!

i've sold it when i've ordered a complete new system (ex-cypres). it was a great FIRST rig! :)
fuck spacer foam backpad, as long as it gets you in the air! :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Thanks for the replies! The spacer-foam backpad isn't that big a deal btw, just one of many things that I wondered about, but the first to come to mind.

I've seen some pictures and expect the serial soon so that we can get the sunpath info. Excellent suggestion, thanks for that! Someone was already nice enough to offer help with regards to that.

The thing I wonder about now most is if it'll fit a 170 pulse, but I'm guessing that question will be answered quickly when the serial is known. Can't wait!

fuck spacer foam backpad, as long as it gets you in the air! :)

amen. my rig cost me 1800 so far. its an old talon classic 95', pd 160r, and a sabre 150..............its a bit tight on me but its serving its purpose for now and its getting me current..........until i order my fully loaded voodoo in january =)
gravity brings me down.........

my Odyssey 2002 which seems to have all available options (not ordered by me)
has what i believe is called "quilted backpad", it sure adds some comfort...

(it is something like parapack with diamond-shaped rip-stop,
not that mesh fabric used on spacer foam)
my pictures

The thing I wonder about now most is if it'll fit a 170 pulse, but I'm guessing that question will be answered quickly when the serial is known. Can't wait!

Bzzz.

Just the container sizing is all you need. A J1 or larger should be no problem with a Pulse170. A TJN may work, but I have never personally tried it...

Just got a picture from the rigs paperwork, if I can read the handwriting correctly is says:

- Container size: OJ
- Yoke: C
- Harness 19 1 1/2
- Lateral 21
- Legpad 22

Does this make sense (especially the harness size) ?

Edited to add:
Btw it packs a 150 Sabre2 that under my countries rules & reg's I can't fly till I reach the 100 jumps mark. Need the 100 jumps for the canopy type and the canopy size both. Don't want to either for what it's worth: plan to be an old fart someday.

My exit weight with a student Javelin is 189 lbs. So my WL with this new rig would be around 1,25 wich is just shy of my countries max WL for my jumpnumbers (1,30) at the 100 jumps mark.

Talked to my instructor and he deemed the rig a good fit as soon as I reach a 100 jumps.

Good call on the rig/canopy situation. Trying to jump the smaller canopy just becuase that's what the container holds is a bad idea, and tyring to stuff the 170 in there is also a bad idea.

About the harness, how tall are you? If you're 189lbs exit weight with a student rig, what's your body weight, about 160/165lbs?

A C-19 is a little on the 'bigger' side for a harness, and it doesn't sound like you're on the 'bigger' side yourself. It's a given that you want to try any rig on before you buy, but keep in mind that you need to try it on with both canopies packed to really see how it will fit. There's a chance that this rig is a little big in the harness and a little small in the container. If there's a way to try it on, great, but keep looking in the meantime.

Also, keep in mind that the WL rules in your country are the maximum WL allowed at certain jump numbers, and by no means are they requirements. You don't have to downsize to a 150 when you have 100 jumps, you may not be ready or want to downsize at that time, and you don't have to.

If your DZ is Texel talk about this rig with Jo Oosterveer. He know some stuff about Javelins ;)

Just as a side note, Javelin "OJ" is made for 139 sq.ft MAX. I know that many people out there will tell you their stories how they can pack 150 or even 170 in that rig, but you have to ask yourself, do you really want to ignore the manufacturers recommendations.

Take care

"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

About the harness, how tall are you? If you're 189lbs exit weight with a student rig, what's your body weight, about 160/165lbs?

Weight and height alone won't tell you if the MLW is going to fit. You need to know how long the person's torso is, and that depends on how long the person's legs are.

Height in inches minus inseam in inches minus 20 = a good estimate of MLW length that will fit. Example - 6' tall with a 33 inseam; 72 - 33 - 20 = 19 so a 19" MLW should fit. 6' tall with a 35 inseam; 72 - 35 - 20 = 17 so a 17" MLW should fit. See how the length of the legs makes a difference?

See how the length of the legs makes a difference?

Of course, which is why I mentioned trying on any rig (packed) before purchase.

Either way, the container is a couple sizes to small for what he needs anyway, I was throwing the harness size in there just to make it seem like less of a 'loss' that the rig he found isn't going to work him.

Of course, which is why I mentioned trying on any rig (packed) before purchase.

An excellent idea, but unfortunately that isn't always possible to do. Knowing ahead of time if it should fit can save both buyer and seller time and money,

Thanks for the comments. Will meet the seller tomorrow at the rigger's who'll help me determine if it's a good fit and in good condition.

I'm perfectly ok with leaving it at home for the next 23 jumps, or however long it takes, to be ok for flying a 150. I'll leave it up to my instructors to give me the green light (or not) after I'm at 100 jumps. Think that's the best way to go since I'm not bestowed with mad skillz.

Someone from Sunpath who read the post has been nice enough to give me a copy of the spec sheet for this particular rig and on that sheet it says:
Main: SA 150
Reserve: PD143R

So I'm pretty sure the container was made to house the 150.. hence I'm even more interested to see how a small packing pulse would fit. But something someone else up here said also makes a lot of sense; about not trying to fit in canopy sizes that the manufacturer recommends against. Still, since sunpath built it to house a 150 it makes me wonder.

The reason for this post: to be able to figure out what options the rig has installed has been answered.

Well, fabric-wise it's pretty special actually, this is what the Sunpath guy said in a PM to me:

"Thats a GREAT looking rig. It used all of our specialty fabrics. Leather, Diamond back, and Hounds Tooth. Hip & Chest rings!! "

Since the seller mentioned Space Age Fabrics you could be pretty close to the mark with Alienskin...

No, the padded back (spacer foam) was not available until Spring 2003 on Javelins. I bought my first Javelin Odyssey with all “extras” and received it in April 2003 only to see in the next 1-2 months the new option of the padded back.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Yesterday I met the seller at my riggers shop. The rigger was nice enough to give some advice regarding the fit (excellent fit !:-) and the condition of the rig. All was in great condition so I bought the rig. Happy as can be right now with my first rig.

The rigger is now doing the repack and replacing the Cypress battery and he was confident that the container will nicely hold a PD Pulse 170 that I can rent. So with a bit of luck I can do the 23 jumps I need to be able to fly the Sabre 150 with my new harness and rig.

Oh, and did I mention it's great looking as well ;-) ? I can't upload pictures from my Ipad but here's the link to the original ad on a Dutch skydive forum: http://www.paraforum.nl/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5221&sid=60cf3cb155ce02e4ac601b6587fca3a6

Just to let you guys know how this first-rig-buy-question worked out. I think I already mentioned that I bought it last week on the spot when I met the seller at my riggers place.

Picked it up yesterday when the cypress battery had been replaced and the reserve had been repacked and got to jump it straight away. Made one more jump today at my home DZ.

The OJ container was made to house a Sabre2 150 when it was ordered and nicely holds the small packing Pulse 170. I bit weird as the Sunpath specs indeed say the OJ was made for a 139 max. Two packers worked on it and both said it was a normal fit. How about that.

The container is indeed a bit big in the middle section; might get that made to fit a bit better.

Thanks for the advice!