Eammon

Gear shopping...

I'm a newly licensed jumper and although I won't be buying a rig until next season I've been shopping around and looking at what's available for somebody my size (5' 11", 230lb, roughly 255-260lb exit weight) and haven't been coming up with much. I've been thinking about a Pilot but the largest they make them in is a 230, ideally I'd be flying something in the 240-260 range. I'm on a Nav280 today and plan on stepping down to the 260 rental after a few more good landings on this canopy. I've also noticed that I'm pushing the envelope on a lot of the rigs I've seen but I should be able to get something to fit me and hold the canopies I end up with.

My question is, do canopy manufacturers make custom sizes for larger/smaller jumpers than they list ?

I know an easy solution to the issue is to shed some weight and I'm working on that aspect too. I've dropped ~25lbs since January in order to get to the point I'm at and while I'm still working on it, things seem to have plateaued. Ideally I'd like to drop another 20lbs before next season which would render this whole issue irrelevant but I'm going under the assumption that I'll still be at my current weight.

If you like the Pilot, the Pulse from PD has similar flight characteristics and comes in sizes up to 260.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I am going to ignore your question and talk about something else.

Look at Brian Germain's chart for downsizing.

http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf

At your size (which also happens to be my size) he recommends a 230, unless you instructors disagree this would be a better place to start looking and you should find a lot more options.

The reasoning is that at large sizes, canopies are more docile and thus you can increase your wing loading above the recommended 1.0 as long as you go with a more docile beginner canopy (like a Pilot).

And why wait to buy a rig. I'd start looking at secondhand stuff now and buy pieces as they become available.

Waiting to buy until next season due to money. I spent my "fun" budget on AFF and the remaining jumps required for my license. I have some left but not quite enough for even a used rig at this point. I was looking at canopies in that size based on the manufacturer recommendations for exit weight and trying to keep the WL below 1.1.

At your size (which also happens to be my size) he recommends a 230

Actually, he recommends nothing smaller than a 230. Even if you are confident, current and getting coaching.

Bigger is a plenty fine idea.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

If you like the Pilot, you have a couple of other options. Aerodyne makes the Pilot and the Solo, using the same canopy. The Solo is designed as a student canopy, but it is just a Pilot with a different name on the side, extra reinforcing, and a more docile line trim. If you like a 230, but think it is too sporty, order one with Solo lines, and down the road you can have it relined with the Pilot trim, instead of downsizing. Cheaper than buying a new canopy. The man at Aerodyne to talk to is Rob Fischer. He had me one made up last year. If you would be more comfortable with something larger, the Solo comes in sizes up to a 290. Best of luck on the gear hunt.