sunkenstate

Parasport Aeronaut alti. 4000 ft ASL -> 0 ft AGL??

Hi all,

Is anyone aware if it is safe to adjust a Parasport Aeronaut altimeter at a 4,000ft ASL dropzone to achieve a 0 ft AGL display?

Underneath the face of the alti, basically the entire bottom half rotates to dial in the display, but I've typically only done minor corrections due to barometric pressure, etc. at a ~0ASL DZ.

Is a 4,000ft adjustment acceptable? This is my first owned alti. Maybe this is standard?

I've contacted Parasport Italia, as well.

Thanks!

No, didn't you read the manual!

It clearly says that you can't use the alti as you normally would if your DZ is above 1k elevation.

Not really, you can use it even if your DZ is in Tibet.

When you turn the dial, you're just moving the face relative to the mechanism (or mechanism relative to face), There is no stress or strain applied to the mechanism at all.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The way up to altitude shouldn't be your biggest concern;)

Seriously, it should be fine as noted. However, at a "new" DZ your eye for altitude is probably a little different than your home DZ, so you will be looking at the Alti more on the way DOWN... If you have an extra, like a chest mount, or can borrow one, do that and give yourself the extra comfort.

Well - unless you think they BOTH may be off:S

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

Haha. Sweet. Thanks for the response. I had a mental image of a tiny spring being cranked and over-stressed and then me sweating bullets as I tapped the face on the way up to altitude.

You should be reminded that a 4k landing will be a bit different than you've been used to. The wing is not as efficient, turns will result in a bit more altitude lost than before...

It is my theory, without any substantiation, that tapping on the altimeter is perhaps the most stress that is put on the inner mechanism during normal use. No reason to do it unless you actually think it has stuck.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I've contacted Parasport Italia, as well.

Imagine the small group of Italians that will laugh and shake their heads when they read your email. :D