Quagmirian

My little project

Yeah, sorry I didn't see you. I realised too late I should have sent you my picture or something. I asked around, but couldn't find anyone who knew you.

More good news, I jumped my canopy for the first time today (beer). It handles like a rectangular canopy.

[inline jump.jpg]

Seriously impressive that you've carried your "little project" to completion. Congratulations!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I can't speak for any one else. I don't know if any one helped you, but I didn't sew one fucking seam on that canopy, draw one pattern, fingertrap one line, or set one grommet. To the best of my knowledge it was all you. You've created some thing which did not exist before. Some thing which few will ever attempt and fewer will secceade at. And the fucking thing works. And it works pretty well. I didn't see any thing scary or any sign of bad behavior in the videos. It's nothing special but it's exactly what it's designed to be, a conservative 9 cell f-111 canopy. But it took many years from the conception of the jaberwaky parafoil before they were able to build what you have created which seems to be on par with for instance a PD 9 cell. I think La Blonk would be impressed.

Get any real data beyond the video? Decent rate? GPS track? Forward speed data? Opening shock? I wish we could have gotten you one of those little data recorders they had at PIA. I almost bought one just on impulse. If I'd realized that you were about to be in the country I would have gone ahead and done it and over nighted it to you.

Speaking of doing every thing your self. Now that you have a sewing machine you need to find your self a slave. Time to think about prototype number 6.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'd still like to do a few more jumps on this prototype. Speaking of the next canopy however, does anybody know where a sensible place for the bridle attachment is? I put mine between the B and C lines, and there were concerns that this is too far forward. Thoughts?

I once heard a theory that the cordwise location of the bridle could affect the opening speed of the canopy. If their was any thing to this I think it related to a time when people were jumping non collapsible PC's. The thought was that it affected the forwards and backwards tilt of the canopy during opening and how the nose was exposed to the wind. I once heard they moved it on the Monarch. If there was any thing to it I think it went away with collapsibles. I think between the B and C is fine. It places it right above the slider in the practical center of the canopy for opening. I think you'll see most base canopies with it there. It loads and lifts the center lines from all four line groups.

Go jump the shit out of your canopy. Get some real data on it. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't be looking at your next iteration.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

What you can do is act like you are packing the canopy and see if you are close to the highest point with the bridle attachment. The reason we used the 'C' lines vs between line attach meant points was so the load path was straight to the linesand used less reinforcing tape. Just look for stress points on your old canopy since you have some jumps on it and make your decisions.