Quagmirian

My little project

Looks nice this is going forward. Anyway post pictures.

Regarding the earlier issues about inlets and stuff
There is an entire paper linked written about this issue
http://www.flyozone.com/paragliders/en/learn/ozone-sharknose-technology/

Then of course the earlier debates about rod rigidification or not. In hindsight all the issues were manageable and those fishing rod nightmares wings were flown by very few people. I sort of agree the position of the a-lines has an effect on how the wing feels in turbulence.
http://www.dhv.de/web/en/safety/articles-statistics/plastic-rods-yes-or-no

Bottom surface shape? people with paramotors like to use reflex profile wings

RiggerLee

Better you then me. Not loving that design

I plan on using some kind of setup which requires no modification of the normal rig. I have a harness with the cutaway system still on. Perhaps we could build some sort of belly container?

[inline HPIM4415_small.jpg]

Last of the materials and more sewing.

[inline HPIM4435_small.jpg]

[inline HPIM4437_small.jpg]

[inline HPIM4438_small.jpg]

Quagmirian

I have a harness with the cutaway system still on. Perhaps we could build some sort of belly container?

Some people will just exit back to wind holding a bag and pilot chute. DZO's might not like the risk of that if it isn't a really high tailed aircraft. Others might have someone else IAD them out the door, so they can concentrate on the exit while someone else handles doing a clean deployment. Or someone might have the bag set up as a direct bag that someone holds while the jumper exits.

Leaving aside the pros and cons of each method, with my cutaway harness, I wanted to get rid off any sort of loose bag and pilot chute in the airplane or any requirement for trained assistance in the plane.

Therefore I used the cut-off main container to construct a belly container. Since it was awkward to use the top flap which was so integrated into the reserve bottom flap, I built a new custom top flap. Pretty much just cordura and some plastic for the stiffener. No need for binding tape, just folded edges, since it wasn't going to get a lot of use.

The main container then just had loops to tie or hook it to tie down points on the cutaway harness. They don't have to be structural of course, but just keep the belly container in place and allow you to swing it open on one side to allow getting into the harness.

The risers enter the belly pack at open slots at the top corners and I did put some velcro closures there to keep things in place. The risers of course go down from the 3 rings on the cutaway harness, down one's chest and into the belly pack. I didn't consider them to be too much in the way, especially when one is normally just doing a back to wind hop and pop with no more than a few seconds freefall. But I also put some 'wraps' with a little bit of velcro closure along the cutaway harness main lift webs, so the risers could be partially covered and secured on the way down to the belly pack.

Oh yeah, the cutaway handle:I built a new cutaway handle/ cable to be a big white loop handle so its colour and shape is different from the nearby pillow on the regular rig I'd be wearing. I wanted that for intentional spinning mal tests. Velcro was added to the chest strap so the cutaway handle could be moved to a central position if desired. (The cable length and flexibly mounted end of the cutaway cable housing worked ok for that on my particular cutaway rig.)

Since the container for the 3rd canopy is the old main container, it still had the BOC on it. So one could exit on one's back and just do a left handed pull on the BOC.

The closing loop anchor changed to be from the bottom flap to the backpad/top flap area. This allows a large variation in canopy size by varying the closing loop length, while still providing pin tension.

The whole system isn't fancy but is adequate.

RiggerLee

Could be a little bit wider but the real danger is in it being too wide, ala swift+.

Ha, that's exactly why I asked that question. On 1 side a narrow one is guaranteed to catch the line but on the other too narrow is probably not quite as string as a proper dimensioned bartack.

-Michael

RiggerLee

Could be a little bit wider but the real danger is in it being too wide, ala swift+.

Lee

Lee, what is the story there? I still see some swift+ reserve canopies floating around.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

There was a 1994 bulletin to inspect Swift Pluses for too-wide bartacks, as one had been found with ones wide enough to miss the fingertrapped line inside. That was for the line cascades.

Other than that the canopies were fine. Although they often had fairly wide bartacks, any actually bad canopies were probably weeded out years ago. (Still, always good to check that some ancient bulletin wasn't overlooked...)

DougH

***Could be a little bit wider but the real danger is in it being too wide, ala swift+.

Lee

Lee, what is the story there? I still see some swift+ reserve canopies floating around.

If you are inspecting a Swift plus and you checked for SBs, you would find this:

http://hq.apf.asn.au/images/e/e5/329A.pdf
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

DougH

***Could be a little bit wider but the real danger is in it being too wide, ala swift+.

Lee

There was a recall but I remember it on the Safety flyer not the Swift the bartack was actually too wide we had bartacks without the center straight stitch at the start.

Yeah, I use two rows of straight stitch followed by a narrow zigzag, which from a strength perspective isn't ideal, but Dacron stretches much less than nylon, especially at a fingertrap, so I can't see it breaking any time soon.

Thanks for the idea pchapman, instead of throwing away the old main container, I cut off the reserve and the reserve bottom flap, rebound it and ended up with a basic belly container. It looks quite nice to be honest. And just for future reference, freekflyguy is my Chief instructor and resident test dummy jumper. ;)

Before
[inline chaser.png]

After
[inline belly_small.jpg]

Cool.
Perfect container for that -- with a quite flexible top flap so that flap could be retained, and it even has velcro at the top corners, to hold things closed around the risers.
Hey, a Racer's (or Chaser's...) reserve container is derived from a belly mount design, so you're just reversing the process for the main!