Quagmirian

My little project

Definitely install a 3-Ring release at the top end of the tow-line. Then install the 3-Ring release handle some place it is really easy to grab (e.g. chest level) on the harness.

"Towing Aloft" by Dennis Pagen and Bill Bryden
ISBN 0-936310-13-8

or contact your local chapter of the British Hang-gliding Association or the British Para-Gliding Association or the British Parascending Association.

Got my first topskin and NLB cut out so I did the I beam work on the centre cell, and well as the bridle attachment and reinforcements. Not much to see from the shitty pictures but I have a feeling this is going to be a good kite.

Also note the hilarious comedy warning label.

[inline AK000031.JPG]
[inline AK000035.JPG]

Entire canopy finished, apart from some real dacron lines it's good to go. The trim is awfully steep, with all the pressure on the front risers. Very easy to ground handle though.:)
[inline DSC_0159_small.jpg]
[inline DSC_0160_small.jpg]
[inline DSC_0161_small.jpg]
[inline DSC_0162_small.jpg]
[inline DSC_0163_small.jpg]
[inline DSC_0166_small.jpg]

Are your b-line slider stops lower on your line set then your a-line attachments? If not you may find your a-line tapes being sucked into your grommets. You might have to add a stop on the A-line. pic 2 makes it look like you might still be just a little narrow on the panels towards the front of your canopy. It's hard to tell with the risers crossed and control input on the rears. You say it's steep? Relitive to what? and why go that way? By the way I think your better off a little steep then a little flat, assuming with in reason. Flat canopies can be short on flare authority with out front riser or extra speed.

Got a rig set up yet to jump it? Have you been thinking about the testing you want to do before you eventually commit to landing? By the way, even a small sand bag weight clipped to a toggle will go a long way to bringing the thing down with minimal drift.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Hi Quag,

And here is another home-built one:

http://vimeo.com/64373524

Is there a home-built fad going around that I am not aware of?

:P

JerryBaumchen

If the prices of mains will keep climbing up - we will see more and more DIY B|

Probably not... most skydivers are far too lazy for that!

Me, personally, I value my time too highly to even consider a DIY project - of course, I'm just not interested enough to geek out on it like some folks do. I give Quagmarian lots of credit for spending the time to do this, and it sounds like he's enjoyed the process as much as anything - but I'd be willing to bet that if he added raw material cost and total time spent to get it safely airworthy (which it sounds like it might not be yet) that buying almost any canopy from any manufacturer, even brand new, will turn out to be a better deal. :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hi Quag,

JerryBaumchen

If the prices of mains will keep climbing up - we will see more and more DIY B|

Probably not... most skydivers are far too lazy for that!

Me, personally, I value my time too highly to even consider a DIY project - of course, I'm just not interested enough to geek out on it like some folks do. I give Quagmarian lots of credit for spending the time to do this, and it sounds like he's enjoyed the process as much as anything - but I'd be willing to bet that if he added raw material cost and total time spent to get it safely airworthy (which it sounds like it might not be yet) that buying almost any canopy from any manufacturer, even brand new, will turn out to be a better deal. :D:D

Right. You really have to love doing something like this to do it. It will feel great to fly something you built with your own two hands.

It would be great to see jumpers who are also aerospace engineers do projects like this. It's possible they could come up with some design improvements.

Hi shibu,

....And here is another home-built one:

It must really suck to chop after you put all that effort into making it.

Not to be negative towards you, but if that is your thinking then I would suggest that you never work in Research & Development; it comes with the territory.

JerryBaumchen
Someone who blew two harnesses completely apart during TSO testing

Hi Quag,

JerryBaumchen

that's Nik Burden he makes base containers too, it's a little more than standard DIY with Nik.;);)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I took the brown thing for its first flight today, a ground launch. No pictures I'm afraid.:( I sorted out the stability problem I was having by flattening the trim by a few inches. The flight performance was amazing; I must have had a glide ratio of at least 1.5 to 1.:)

Brown Thing....Maybe that could be the name of a nice new canopy.......150BT.

Go jump the darn thing.....Better yet, build a hot air balloon, and then go jump out of that with your BT.

(Make sure you gots a TSO'd reserve....)

Well Done!!!
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

So I said there weren't any pictures from Monday, well, that's not quite true.

[inline 5th_pic.jpg]

I don't know if it's coming off in these posts, but all the study and work is worth it for moments like this. You'll notice I wore a helmet and gloves this time.;)

...but maybe not smooth enough. Here's an idea for a new rib and stabiliser, similar to the brown thing but with a few changes. The airfoil's a bit thinner, the nose opening's a bit smaller and steeper and the line trims are based on the brown thing after re trimming. I've also moved some of the V-tapes in an attempt to make the top skin perfectly smooth.

[inline 2732_rib_stab_small.gif]