Squeak

How many colours (or colors for the Yanks)

I have only been in this sport since August 2002, so I havn't meet all that many Skydivers. However I have noticed that in all of the literature I have seen there is a distinct lack of colour in the sky.
I think there is one person here on DZ.com (Aneblett??)
So how many non white people do you know who jump. I havn't met any here in Oz yet?

Obvioulsy place like Thailand and such will have a wealth of local colour, I'm refering to the main Western whtieys like Oz US and UK.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I know a good handful of Hispanic people who jump. Although I only know a couple African-Americans, though. :(

I really don't have any sort of theory why this sport seems to be segregated the way it is.

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

probably just a sort of momentum gets built up, where people are more likely to get involved with sport xyz if their buddies are doing it. And often people are more likely to hang out with people of their same ethnic group.

also, in this country many black people live in big cities, and out in the country & hick towns you see mostly just white people, and DZs are always out in the country.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Well, there's Azul Rodriguez (Mark Mosby) from Skydive Green County in OH (There is one other there as well but the name escapes me). He's about as cool, yet interestingly crazy, as they come.;) Just run if you're ever at the WFFC and it's time for the guys on stage to take their clothes off. Azul scarred me for life on that one.

Here on DZ.com I know of Aneblett and Snowflake (mucho cool dude).

Kris
(Just Your Average Hispanic Freeflyer)

Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Kato, as well, and Chaz1234, too.

(Man, it's really weird to think of friends as "colors"...I don't like that too much....they're just, well, friends...not slamming you, Squeak, just commenting...)

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Although I only know a couple African-Americans, though. :(

Why does it make you sad that you don't konw that many black people who jump? Would you be happier if you knew more?

I really don't have any sort of theory why this sport seems to be segregated the way it is.

Hmm. Could it have something to do with the fact that whites, by a large majority, have significantly more disposable income than blacks or any other minority (at least in the US)? I think it could.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

hmmm, I don't know too many skydivers with a lot of disposable income. around the DC area there are a plenty of middle class blacks (in Maryland black college students outnumber the white ones), but I don't see too many at the DZ. I still think its the social momentum/ dz-in-the-country thing.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Why does it make you sad that you don't konw that many black people who jump? Would you be happier if you knew more?

No, it'd make me happier to see a more racially diverese group of people at the DZ.

I guess I'm one of those really odd rednecks who isn't racist. Go figure.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I saw a black guy at the DZ last summer, and he was wearing a non-student jumpsuit. Of course, the students, especially the first timers, are of every race and color, but that's because there's so many of them. Would be very interesting to talk to an old time skydiver from a very different country.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.